Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Mar 30, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #1,276 of 1,717
I'm using my Asgard as a preamp for my powered monitors right now and it sounds really good I wish it had RCA outputs.  It sounds transparent and open compared to the NAD 1020 preamp I also have here, which is warmer and bassier which is nice, but it doesn't sound as clean or transparent, it's a little more closed in sounding. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #1,277 of 1,717
I'm using my Asgard as a preamp for my powered monitors right now and it sounds really good I wish it had RCA outputs. 

???

How would this work, don't the powered monitors need a line-level signal as input? I would think the output from a headphone amp like the Asgard would overload the input to the monitors. Do you turn the volume on the Asgard and monitor both way down low?

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #1,278 of 1,717
No, most if not all powered monitors do not have volume control because each speaker has it's own amp meaning you would have to change the volume twice on both speakers and somehow get them to the same level.  The only monitors that have volume controls as far as I know are cheap ones that have the entire amp in one of the speakers and the other is just passive.  So with good monitors, it's like having a power amp, you need a preamp to control volume. 

There is a master volume control for each monitor, but it is not designed to change volume, but rather increase or decrease sensitivity.  It's a tiny knob at the back of each speaker.

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #1,280 of 1,717
Hello,

Had my ASGARD for several months now.
Compared to my other two sources for headphone amplificaition, an Onkyo SR805 reveiver and a AVA Van Alstine Insight+ Pre-Amp Head section.

Headphones are AKG702, love them or hate them...and I love them!! :>)

The AVA Insight + drives the low impedance 702s with aplumb...no problems, wonderful deep bass, overall outstanding in most all areas. Tonality to die for.

But I was interested in how well a amp designed for headphones are and I bought a ASGARD for its Class A design, albeit it HOT!

The difference between the amp section in the AVA Insight preamp and the ASGARD is minimal, with my preference going to the ASGARD, its not that it really sounds better its just that it sounds differnent in a good way. But on any given day. mood, and music either one would suffice nicely.

Then for another tact...I build a tube amp (SOHA II) and tried it compared to the ASGARD. Both drive the low impedance 702s with authority and again the differences between the tube SOHA II with several different 12v tubes and the ASGARD are minimal....

The only thing here that I think is different is that the sound from the ASGARD is more accurate, more correct, less colored...and if I had to do it all over again. I would buy the ASGARD and be done with it.

So low impedance can fans the ASGARD will drive these with no problems in volume level or gain....

The build quality of the ASGARD is 'Like a Tank' or better yet build like a brick 'Schiit House'....no fingerprint issues at all.

The ONE negative is the power on /off toggle on the back seems a bit well, less that as robust as I wold expect a on/off switch to be...kind of 'puny'....

All in all a real winner here when you consider all the higher priced options.

All the best
Alex

May 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #1,281 of 1,717
Hey guys i have the schiit asgard as my sole amp for my headphone setup and was looking into getting a another unit for my chain with a better DAC section.

ive been really looking into the yulong u100 to compliment my asgard, anybody know if this amp has a better DAC than the asgard? will i benefit from getting this or should i look into a cheaper unit without a power section because the asgard provides plenty of juice to my cans (DT 880 [250] and sr225i)

May 2, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #1,282 of 1,717
Quote:
Hey guys i have the schiit asgard as my sole amp for my headphone setup and was looking into getting a another unit for my chain with a better DAC section.

ive been really looking into the yulong u100 to compliment my asgard, anybody know if this amp has a better DAC than the asgard? will i benefit from getting this or should i look into a cheaper unit without a power section because the asgard provides plenty of juice to my cans (DT 880 [250] and sr225i)

The Asgard doesn't have a DAC in it.  It is using the feed from your source that's already been converted to analog (like the headphone out from a portable media player).  You can connect a DAC to the Asgard...and you'll need a digital source to plug into the DAC (like the SPIDF output from a laptop).

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 14, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #1,284 of 1,717

Quote:
Anyone had any experience pairing this Asgard with Fostex T50RP?

Yup, the Asgard is good with the T50RP IMO, but the Lyr sounds much better with the T50RP.

May 23, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #1,285 of 1,717
Another happy Schiit Asgard customer!

The local distributor (Middle East) sells Schiit products faster than they can ship. He was dying to try the Lyr but sold the whole batch before he had a chance (customer loyalty).

It seems that Schiit is on to a real winner here. I just love it's sound right out of the box, paired with my Sennheisers HD 598 it opens up a whole new wonderful world for me. 

Am currently waiting for the newly purchased Ultrasone Pro 750 and see how they compare to the Sennheisers. 

Schiit, you have a new fan!!

May 23, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #1,286 of 1,717
Another happy customer here too! First impressions of the Asgard are fantastic! I can't wait until Schiit comes out with that DAC they've been hinting at so my components will match up beautifully :)

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #1,288 of 1,717
Hi guys!

This is a big-value-for-less-money AMP, is there a big-value-for-less-mone DAC that someone could recommand? The source is a squeezebox touch, and headphones is K701. Music is a bit of all :)

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #1,289 of 1,717

Quote:
Hi guys!

This is a big-value-for-less-money AMP, is there a big-value-for-less-mone DAC that someone could recommand? The source is a squeezebox touch, and headphones is K701. Music is a bit of all :)

Yes, the Schiit Bifrost.

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7

Bifrost is the world's most affordable fully upgradable DAC, featuring 32-bit D/A conversion, a fully discrete analog section, and a sophisticated bit-perfect clock management system, together with one of the most advanced asynchronous USB 2.0 input sections available, as well as SPDIF coaxial and optical inputs, all with 24/192 capability.

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #1,290 of 1,717
Thank you for the suggestion! That would be a perfect match, also the style of it.

But I was thinking a bit less on the money side, maby someone has been in the same shoes as me and found one they think match good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back