Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Feb 8, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #1,261 of 1,717
Would that be a design change? Or sample variation? I had a relatively early Asgard so I suppose it is possible something has changed since then.

Quote:
Quote:
Okay I just got a warranty replacement for my Asgard (fingerprinting issue) and I have some interesting observations concerning it.I thought they were going to just swap the chassis, but I believe it is a new unit. The amp runs at least 20 degrees cooler than my original amplifier. I can't tell if the sound is any different or not, but the temperature difference is not subtle. Any idea why this could be?

Sounds like maybe lower bias.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,262 of 1,717

Quote:
Would that be a design change? Or sample variation? I had a relatively early Asgard so I suppose it is possible something has changed since then.

Quote:
Quote:
Okay I just got a warranty replacement for my Asgard (fingerprinting issue) and I have some interesting observations concerning it.I thought they were going to just swap the chassis, but I believe it is a new unit. The amp runs at least 20 degrees cooler than my original amplifier. I can't tell if the sound is any different or not, but the temperature difference is not subtle. Any idea why this could be?

Sounds like maybe lower bias.

Only Jason can answer for sure, but lowering the bias current level would make the amp run cooler and probably not be audible.  Jason is really the only one that can answer this one definitively.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #1,263 of 1,717
I just figured out a more plausible explanation: My old Asgard had the stock rubber feet on it, so it was thermally isolated. The replacement unit did not include feet and the ones I ordered haven't come in yet, so the heat dissipates into the chassis of the NFB-3. This may be responsible for the cooler temperatures I am experiencing. I will report back when I get the rubber feet to see if that heats the amp back up.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #1,264 of 1,717
Just an update, the heat change turns out to be a false alarm, when I installed rubber feet the amp heated back up to the same temperature as I remember. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,266 of 1,717
Somewhere, earlier in this thread I posted the exact measurements of the heat produced by the amp. at normal room temperatures.  If you're planning to run the amp in an un air conditioned space while the ambient temperature is already 120 deg. F, then that might be pushing things, but if you're using the amp in a normal (for the desert) air  conditioned environment, then I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.  It won't outrun your air conditioner.  I think it dissipates something like 30W max. which is about 10 BTUs (1/10000 of 1 therm) in an hour of run time.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #1,267 of 1,717
OT ... and ... IMHO, Caphead78 and kwkarth grace these posts with the cutest dogs on this planet. Okay, maybe just the universe.

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #1,268 of 1,717
Anyone have any thoughts on or experience using the Asgard with an HP1000?  I know the Asgard is good with Grados, but the HP1000 seems to have slightly different amping requirements from the newer Grados. 

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #1,269 of 1,717
Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on or experience using the Asgard with an HP1000?  I know the Asgard is good with Grados, but the HP1000 seems to have slightly different amping requirements from the newer Grados. 

I wrote about my experience here: www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531228/review-schiit-audio-asgard-avenson-audio-headphone-amp. Refer to the Notes file (linked at the top of the post) for specific details, as I spent more actual listening time than the 1 paragraph on it might indicate.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #1,270 of 1,717
I'm not to attempt any sort of comprehensive review but I've had my Asgard for about a week and yesterday received an HD650 headphone to match with it (replacing my previous HD595 and no-amp setup). My "source" is a mixture of 256kbps AAC iTunes-plus download and Apple Lossless rips of various CD's I own, played through an iPod 5G Video and line-out dock.

So that probably puts me in the suspect-source category but no matter. The combination of Asgard and HD650 sounds as good on most things as I could possibly ask it to sound. I've listened so far to piano (solo and with a small chamber orchestra), string trios and quartets, small ensembles of acoustic jazz music, female vocals, male vocals, classical and steel-string solo guitar and even a few hissy old monaural recordings. I think it does particularly well on guitars, male voices and string quartets/trios.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #1,271 of 1,717
hey yall im going to be purchasing the schiit asgard in a few days and was wondering what size headphone jack they have

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #1,272 of 1,717

Quote:
hey yall im going to be purchasing the schiit asgard in a few days and was wondering what size headphone jack they have

1/4"

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #1,273 of 1,717
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #1,274 of 1,717

Quote:
thanks man, thats what i thought it had but wasnt sure by looking at the picture on the website

You're welcome!

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,275 of 1,717
You know, I think I might like my MS-1i more than my HD 600 when running from the Asgard!  Through the iBasso PB1, with the HD 600 balanced and the MS-1i unbalanced, it's the other way around though, and not close.

I can't say exactly why yet...  Maybe it's even just the music I've been listening to with each.  I'll have to listen with both more...  Maybe that will keep me from buying new headphones for a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back