Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jul 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #1,291 of 1,717
Just ordered the Asgard :)

Hope they will ship it soon, noticed they are in back-order. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #1,293 of 1,717

[size=medium]
Hey all,

Cross-posting this from the above thread. All I can say is this:

1. On Asgard, a mild turn-off transient is normal, but we'll check Shike's amp when it comes back to make sure it isn't excessive. 
2. We're getting near 1000 Asgards shipped between 115V and 230V models, and we've never heard of headphone failure caused by Asgard, including IEMs.
3. Our standard final listening-test HD650s have gone through thousands of on-off cycles on all models, and they've never had a problem.
4. We absolutely do design for excellent objective performance, as well as subjective performance. We've had many, many rave reviews on Asgard, including from engineers who have measured the performance of the amp. 
5. Between Mike and I, we have designed and shipped dozens of audio products, ranging from tube preamps to surround sound decoders, and shipped well over 100,000 units of said products over the last 30 years, to both critical and objective acclaim. This ain't our first rodeo. If you have any engineering questions about our products, I invite you to discuss them directly with myself and Mike.

All the best,
Jason

[/size]

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 19, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #1,295 of 1,717
Just wish they could start shipping the Asgard again. Stupid back-order! :frowning2:
Guess it gives me some time to save for a new Dac in the meanwhile. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,296 of 1,717

Quote:
Stupid back-order!  

You sound like Homer Simpson.
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #1,297 of 1,717
Quote:
Asgard owners and potential owners might be interested in reading this thread regarding potential headphone damage.  Link

Quote:
2. We're getting near 1000 Asgards shipped between 115V and 230V models, and we've never heard of headphone failure caused by Asgard, including IEMs.

But:

Quote:
Grokit (I think it was him) and MacedonianHero lost their ED8s to one.  Both drivers blown.

Mad Lust Envy had one driver on his D7000 fail shortly after getting his Lyr.

I know this is an Asgard thread, but see the link above for more info.

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #1,298 of 1,717
Regarding the above post, the driver failures were with Lyr, not Asgard--and we have never recommended Lyr for high-sensitivity headphones, and always urged extreme caution with such a high-power amp. We know of no driver failures with Asgard.

To continue with a cross-post from the other thread:

1. Lyr has a 20 second relay-switched delayed output and immediate relay mute on turn-off. It's a running change we made in production. 
2. From the start, we've always urged extreme caution with Lyr, and we have never recommended it for high-sensitivity headphones.
3. Relying on any form of protection--relay delays, microprocessor-controlled DC monitoring systems, whatever--can still bite you, when and if there's a failure in the system. And all of them (to us, at least) involve sonic compromise. That's why you'll typically find many of the highest-dollar components out there running naked, so to speak.

That said, we now understand that the precautions common to ultra-high-end (where it's well-known that turning on your multi-kilobuck amp before you turn on your multi-kilobuck preamp may involve having a very bad day) simply won't fly with inexpensive gear, so we're making the changes necessary to have our stuff be as user-friendly as possible.

Asgards will now ship with the same relay mute as Lyr, when we are back in stock. We will also offer a retrofit relay mute for Asgard and Lyr, for customers who want the convenience, and install it on any current owner's amp for free. I am still conflicted on relays, since it means another contact in the signal path, relay contact degradation over time, and the possible reliability hit (there's a joke in high-end that if something's broken, it's probably a relay.) That said, I think we have identified an acceptably reliable, least-sonic-impact solution.

And--to complete the trio--Valhalla's inherently slow turn-on (tube outputs) negates the need for a relay.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #1,299 of 1,717
Thanks for the update Jason. Your super quick response to this issue regarding the Asgard/potential hp damage is another example of your top notch attention to customer care. Right on! 

I actually just received my Lyr a couple of weeks ago but have yet to hook it up because I've only had time for work, kids, food, and sleep lately. I have a 500+ serial # on my Lyr and wanted to know if it has the relay mute revision. If so, should I still power up then plug in my phones/unplug then power down? I'll primarily be using HD650 for now (until LCD-2) but would like to check out my 80 ohm Darth Beyers with the Lyr as well. Obviously I'll proceed with caution, but should I be concerned for their safety?

Thanks Again,
Jason

beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,300 of 1,717

Quote:
I'm using my Asgard as a preamp for my powered monitors right now and it sounds really good I wish it had RCA outputs.  It sounds transparent and open compared to the NAD 1020 preamp I also have here, which is warmer and bassier which is nice, but it doesn't sound as clean or transparent, it's a little more closed in sounding. 

I second this. I'm looking for a headphone amp atm and the Asgard looks awesome, but I wish it had an RCA out so that I could still go from a DAC to the amp and a set of active monitors, and then have the RCA shut off when the headphones are plugged in. I could probably achieve the same effect (without the preamping) with some adapters but then it won't turn off automatically when headphones are inserted.

Can anyone think of a better idea? 

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,301 of 1,717

I listen to classical and is particular about details and soundstage.  I like the Grado headphone and was using the Nuforce HDP as DAC and headphone amp. I  was happy with the combination because to me the details and soundstage were very good for what I have spent.

Got an opportunity to listen to NuForce HDP as DAC, RCA out to Schiit Asgard + Grado 325

After I tried above, I thought the cans were made to work harder and were now going the extra mile.  Everything just seems more lifelike and I bought the Asgard. 

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #1,302 of 1,717
Not sure if anyone questions the Asgards temperature any longer but I finally got a Infrared Thermometer.

Room Temp 70 degrees (F)

My headphone rig including the Asgard has been powered on for four days, so I'd say that it's warmed up.

Knob - 105.3
Front right - 106.7
Front center - 105.6
Front left - 102.7
Top center - 105.1
Top Grate 115.1
Right Side - varies 105 to 119
Rear panel - 104 to 108
Left side - 104 to 108
Bottom - 109 to 119

Generally burning temp starts at 130 degrees. So as I've already said the Asgard runs warm, but there is no danger to fingers, or if given appropriate ventilation fire.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #1,303 of 1,717
I'm about 2 weeks away from pulling the trigger on an M-Stage or Asgard.  I haven't decided yet.  

I will say this, I really like the no frills, minimalist design of the Asgard.  Now if it makes my hip hop more hip and the punk music more rebellious, then I'm game.

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #1,304 of 1,717

Quote:
I'm about 2 weeks away from pulling the trigger on an M-Stage or Asgard.  I haven't decided yet.  

I will say this, I really like the no frills, minimalist design of the Asgard.  Now if it makes my hip hop more hip and the punk music more rebellious, then I'm game.

I am totally in the same situation. I love the look of the Asgard, and even though it really doesn't matter, the industrial design should be commended by making me *WANT* it very badly heh. There's people here who suggest that the M-Stage is a better amp, seems to me the more dynamic of the two, with a bit more of a wow factor compared to the laid back Asgard. However I *like* laid back and effortless rather than bombastic sound. I wish I could hear both. :frowning2:

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #1,305 of 1,717
You should go with the synergy route. Matrix has apparently good synergy with AKG K701, on the other hand Asgard is good with Sennheisers and Grado. Just search and see what headphones people had when comparing Asgard to M-Stage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back