Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Oct 1, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #1,052 of 1,717

Quote:

Did not notice your post. And before I know you recommend me to upgrade source, I'm already having a DacMagic coming this Sat
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Actually I did own the u_DAC and DacMagic at the same time a while back and greatly preferred the DacMagic. You should be impressed with the upgrade.
smile.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #1,056 of 1,717

Quote:
Apparently not a very good one:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/515595/fs-asgard-amplifier-sold

I'm still hoping to hear the detailed scoop.
smile.gif

I know he was only buying it to try it out, but yeah I'm still curious what his impressions were. Maybe it doesn't share as much synergy with the LCD-2. I would expect the Decware to sound better at it's price, plus having a tube flavor. The Matrix M-stage, I've heard is supposed to be close the Asgard and was my other contender (at this price range).

Edit:I was a little slow there.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #1,057 of 1,717

The hype on the Asgard has been pretty positive regarding this American made amplifier being offered at the bargain price of 249.00. by the new start up Schiit. I decided to purchase one and see if it lived up to the positive impressions I have seen on the amp. The build quality is very good.  The industrial case has a very sturdy feel and the amp weighs close to 6 lbs not a lightweight for sure. The amp does run hot but not as hot as I experienced it at the NJ meet.  I put the amp into my system driving both my LCD2 and the D7000. I also tried it with the T1 but it did not drive the T1 and should only be used with low impedance cans.

I started listening to my usual music mostly jazz, female vocals and classical recordings. I was really disappointed in the performance of this amp. I listened to it for two days and then decided to sell it. The reason for the sale was that I felt that it was aggressive, hard and lacked both detail and sound stage. When I put the under  priced overachiever Matrix in the sound stage became very deep and wide. The detail and inner detail on the Matrix was leagues above the Asgard. The Asgard fell way short in comparison to the Matrix. The Matrix with its gain adjustments played not only the low impedance but also drive the T1 without any effort. The sound is involving and has great detail all of which the Asgard failed to produce. The Asgard is powerful and can play both the D7000 and the LCD2 to loud levels. As you turn the volume up it becomes more aggressive. The bass is not tight and controlled more like wobbly and uncontrolled. It never made the LCD2 play to its potential and had less synergy with the D7000. I guess from the returns on this amp many feel the same as I do. It never made me excited and I always wanted to use my other amps.

[size=11pt]I have not compared it to the Decware CSP-2 but I will admit that would be unfair. The CSP-2 plays well above both the Matrix and the Asgard. I would find it hard to recommend the Asgard because IMO it failed to reproduce the musical realism I am accustomed to with my other amplifiers. It does play clean and is built well and may work for others it just did not do it for me and my recommendation would be to go with the over achier Matrix and  listen to its musicality. The Asgard was a major disappointment for me and I wanted to like it but never could get used to non involving sound. This is  my opinion and yours may be completely different. I had planned on selling the Matrix if the Asgard was better. The Matrix remains until the next contender out plays it. It may work out differently for others.[/size]

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #1,058 of 1,717
Thanks, Frank.
Have you put any hours on the amp before choosing to sell it? 
My Luxman was very disappointing out of the box, but became a top performer after some time. It was not me getting used
to it. I listened to some of my reference recordings that contain very distant sounds, and they were totally missing when it was new,
but provided quite an active role in the recording after 60 hours.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #1,059 of 1,717

Quote:
Thanks, Frank.
Have you put any hours on the amp before choosing to sell it? 
My Luxman was very disappointing out of the box, but became a top performer after some time. It was not me getting used
to it. I listened to some of my reference recordings that contain very distant sounds, and they were totally missing when it was new,
but provided quite an active role in the recording after 60 hours.

I listened well over 25 hours when it was here and it was burned in. There was no dynamic drive and detail and sound stage definitions just did not do it. I really did not like the sound

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #1,063 of 1,717
Ross, did you listen to it at the Jersey meet? (hey, I thought you were watching the playoffs...get offline and pay full attention 
evil_smiley.gif
 ).

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #1,064 of 1,717
Quote:Originally Posted by immtbiker 

"Ross, did you listen to it at the Jersey meet? (hey, I thought you were watching the playoffs...get offline and pay full attention  )."

Yep, I spent some time with it at the NJ meet. I think it sounds like a $250 amp. No more. No less.

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #1,065 of 1,717
Well, that will fulfill a large demographic. It would be nice if it sounded like a $500 amp. There's a big leap between $250 and a grand. 
I have a Valhalla on it's way to my house from Jason. I have high hopes for it's potential. We shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back