Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Sep 29, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #1,036 of 1,717
lol I'm sold for the CSP-2+ prettiness.

Quote:

Oh great.
frown.gif
Now it makes me want to get an CSP-2+ to pair with the LCD2 to hear what I've been missing. Besides, the Decware CSP-2+ looks great too!

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #1,039 of 1,717
Generally speaking, all Class A amps run hot, a result of being less efficient than other designs.  Schiit uses their cases as the heatsink whereas some other amp makers do not.  As a result the case (also the heatsink) is hot.

As has been said too many times already, they designed them this way on purpose and stand behind their product with their 5 year warranty.

Bill

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #1,041 of 1,717
Quote:
Generally speaking, all Class A amps run hot, a result of being less efficient than other designs.  Schiit uses their cases as the heatsink whereas some other amp makers do not.  As a result the case (also the heatsink) is hot.  
As has been said too many times already, they designed them this way on purpose and stand behind their product with their 5 year warranty.

Just a minor correction: just because a chassis may be used as a heatsink doesn't necessarily mean that the chassis will also get hot to the touch. For example, the comparable Gilmore Lite also runs in Class A but isn't anywhere near as hot to the touch as the Asgard, and the GL doesn't have any specific heatsinking either, and it's also smaller in size (a smaller enclosed space has the potential to trap more heat) without any ventilation (the Asgard is ventilated on the top and sides). So I would say that not all Class A amps necessarily get hot to the touch, it depends on how a given amp is designed.

I'll also add that I'm not really "worried" about how hot the Asgard gets, as I'm sure Jason @ Schitt knew exactly what he was doing, it's just that I for one am kinda annoyed at how hot it gets because it makes handling the amp frustrating sometimes, like when I'm swapping headphones (as I tend to hold the amp in place) or adjusting the volume (the knob also gets hot). It's about as hot to the touch as my BHSE is at nominal temperature, maybe even hotter.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #1,042 of 1,717
The Gilmore Lite is a Class A amp? I had no idea. I thought (based on one discussion read and commented on a few months ago), that it was certainly 'Class B'. Regardless, it runs very cool, compared to other Class A devices that I have had the pleasure to lovingly caress.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #1,043 of 1,717
No amps run in class B, I think you refer to class AB.  There is a lot of misunderstanding with Class A, for eg, how far into class A is the amp biased into.  My guess is that the Asgard is biased heavily into class A...as opposed to a lot of other amps that claim class A operation.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #1,044 of 1,717

Quote:
I got the Asgard today. I don't see any defects on it, maybe mine was a return. Out of the box (maybe burned in by previous user), I can tell it's a good match for the HE-5LE. It has a much easier time driving it than the HDP. 10:30-11 on the volume gives me good listening volume. With the HDP, I felt like I had to turn it up just a bit louder overall to get the bass up to where I wanted it. With the Asgard, it seems fuller and more balanced at a lower listening level. 
darthsmile.gif

Synergy is definitely an important factor, and the HE-5 LE are a tough phone to drive.  While the HDP does a very nice job with them, I find the EF5 or SAC KH1000 amp to be a little bit better match for them.  On the other hand, the LCD-2 sounds better with the HDP amp than with the EF-5 or SAC amp.  If Asr brings his Asgard to RMAF I'll get to try these phones on it there.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #1,045 of 1,717

I have the Asgard arriving tomorrow and I will be using it with the LCD2 and the Denon to see how the synergy is and hopefully will post on them some impressins next week. The HDP seems interesting but I do not need a dac. Larry is it a class D amp as I have really done little research but I have heard only one class D amp and it was the Onkyo 9555 which did a nice job for 2 channel but I preferred the Outlaws when I was playing with those. The HDP is priced very nice and may be a good alternative. Please do post if you hear the Asgard and compare with the HDP
Quote:
Synergy is definitely an important factor, and the HE-5 LE are a tough phone to drive.  While the HDP does a very nice job with them, I find the EF5 or SAC KH1000 amp to be a little bit better match for them.  On the other hand, the LCD-2 sounds better with the HDP amp than with the EF-5 or SAC amp.  If Asr brings his Asgard to RMAF I'll get to try these phones on it there.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #1,046 of 1,717
What's truly amazing about the Asgard, is the asking price. For a sub $500 amp, you get some incredible output. It runs hot, but so does the Raptor and I love it.

I feel that Jason and Schiit have a long illustrious career ahead of them. Hats off to Jason to make an affordable amp in a business where everything is so overpriced.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #1,047 of 1,717

Quote:
Sorry, but with the $1000 LCD-2s, you're going to need to improve your DAC down the road.
evil_smiley.gif

It's always fun to spend other people's money. Looking forward to some more Asgard/LCD-2 thoughts.

Did not notice your post. And before I know you recommend me to upgrade source, I'm already having a DacMagic coming this Sat
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #1,048 of 1,717

Quote:
What's truly amazing about the Asgard, is the asking price. For a sub $500 amp, you get some incredible output. It runs hot, but so does the Raptor and I love it.

I feel that Jason and Schiit have a long illustrious career ahead of them. Hats off to Jason to make an affordable amp in a business where everything is so overpriced.

This is what I love about head-fi - a unique community, where if one does the right research - audio bliss can be achieved with very little financial outlay, and its guys like Jason on products like the Asgard and many more that I am grateful for.

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #1,049 of 1,717
Yes'ir. I have a very strong inkling that my 320 kbps/V-DAC/Asgard/HD600 rig will be the budget killer audio slayer of the modern era. Well... let's just assume that I am rather excited to try it out and have high hopes.

*Fingers crossed that it arrives tomorrow*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back