Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Oct 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #1,066 of 1,717

Quote:
An excellent and fair review.

X2 for me...great write up....that's 2 in 2 days.
smile.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #1,068 of 1,717
Thanks for sharing your impressions Frank I.  It's good to hear impressions that are negative especially compared to gear to you actually own.  You're really going through a lot new gear in your system lately.  I remember you telling me at the NJ meet that you were done after the Decware and T1!  
smily_headphones1.gif
 I guess the lure of new toys always gets the best of us.  

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #1,069 of 1,717
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your impressions Frank I.  It's good to hear impressions that are negative especially compared to gear to you actually own.  You're really going through a lot new gear in your system lately.  I remember you telling me at the NJ meet that you were done after the Decware and T1!  
smily_headphones1.gif

This place is evil and cursed!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #1,071 of 1,717

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL this cursed place gets the best of me and thanks i appreciate the comments.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #1,074 of 1,717
QFT there!  The only way I stopped spending here is when I got really busy and didn't log in for a long time..  But now that I have been visiting HF again, the cycle has just continued!  

I guess to keep it on topic, my experience with the Asgard is that it's a pretty good budget amp.  If I didn't have much experience and starting out, this would be a no brainer to begin with.  It has decent power and plays well with low impedance headphones which in turn makes them a pretty good match with most mid-level cans.  I actually quite liked the sound of it with the HE-5LE, but then I rather enjoyed those cans so that may have played a part in it.  It's definitely not a giant killer but does what it was intended at it's price point.

Quote:
Quote:

This place is evil and cursed!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #1,075 of 1,717
I am not surprised that some people don't like the sound. 
Single-ended Class A sound is not for everyone, just as SET is not.  Synergy is key when you are in the SE Class A/SET realm.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #1,076 of 1,717
May I add my two cents here.... I listen a lot to music with my headphones....a lot...

When I have time, I use my Woo 6SE and it's like heaven....

But very often I have less than one hour to enjoy music...therefore, I used not to listen to music as I did not want to warm up my tubes for such a short period of time...

The Asgard became a solution for this...I wanted to by a solid state amp, but then again did not want to spend too much on it....of course, I will not compare the Asgard to the Woo, but I find it's a pretty reasonable solution at a decent price to let me enjoy more music.....which is the first reason for our passion... right ??? And the Asgard drives the HD800 pretty well too...

For that reason, I believe I made a good move buying the Asgard...

Denys

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #1,077 of 1,717
I am glad Denys you like yours. With my cans I felt the Matrix was significantly better IMO. I like dynamic drive and sound stage with detail and the Matrix has all that. I am now going to compare it to another twice the price SS amp and see where I go from there.  I listen to my tube amp 95 percent of the time but I do need SS amp for the low impedance cans. More so for the D7000 than the LCD2. It is always about synergy and individual taste and preferences.

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #1,078 of 1,717
Oh yes !!! Forgot to mention...

I needed an amp that could also drive my BeyerDynamic DT770 600 ohms.....

and I bought a B-Stock....therefore... $238 shipped to Montreal, there's no way I could loose !!!

Denys

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #1,079 of 1,717
Any duty fees on that sucker, Denys?

I just received my B-stock Asgard and I look forward to posting my impressions here, especially with a comparison to the GLite with DPS. Took quite a while to get here from the States, but we can blame customs, and not Schiit for that. What a striking, rock-solid beauty! Finally!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #1,080 of 1,717

Quote:
Any duty fees on that sucker, Denys?

I just received my B-stock Asgard and I look forward to posting my impressions here, especially with a comparison to the GLite with DPS. Took quite a while to get here from the States, but we can blame customs, and not Schiit for that. What a striking, rock-solid beauty! Finally!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep.... I paid the tax equivalent...around $31 CAD if I am not mistaken.... Funny, cause two months earlier I received my Woo 6 SE that's worth $1,475 CAD and I did not paid a penny.... Go figure !!!

It took a little while at the customs too...

Hope you'll like yours....

Denys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back