Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Sep 26, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #1,021 of 1,717
I have an Asgard with the grain issue and a new Valhalla without it. IMO the "grain" doesn't look like a defect at all, merely a different surfacing technique. The unaffected Valhalla chassis is smoother to the touch than the Asgard with the grain. On the other hand the slightly less polished Asgard chassis looks more "industrial" to me, in a good way. It's apples and oranges, really.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #1,022 of 1,717
I got the Asgard today. I don't see any defects on it, maybe mine was a return. Out of the box (maybe burned in by previous user), I can tell it's a good match for the HE-5LE. It has a much easier time driving it than the HDP. 10:30-11 on the volume gives me good listening volume. With the HDP, I felt like I had to turn it up just a bit louder overall to get the bass up to where I wanted it. With the Asgard, it seems fuller and more balanced at a lower listening level. 
darthsmile.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #1,023 of 1,717

Did you buy B stock. I just picked one up on the FS here and will have by end of week to compare to my matrix and see how it handles the LCD2 and D7000. My tube amps handles the LCD2 well and I much prefer it over the Matrix playback. The D7000 and the Matrix is magic. Will see if handles the LCD2.
Quote:
I got the Asgard today. I don't see any defects on it, maybe mine was a return. Out of the box (maybe burned in by previous user), I can tell it's a good match for the HE-5LE. It has a much easier time driving it than the HDP. 10:30-11 on the volume gives me good listening volume. With the HDP, I felt like I had to turn it up just a bit louder overall to get the bass up to where I wanted it. With the Asgard, it seems fuller and more balanced at a lower listening level. 
darthsmile.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #1,025 of 1,717
sampson_smith, what happened to your comparison ? I haven't forgotten
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #1,026 of 1,717
I'm fairly sure he hasn't received them yet, will probably be there this week guaranteed though. I got it exactly one week after ordering.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #1,027 of 1,717
My Asgard has not arrived... yet. I like up in Canada, so reason for the longer shipping time. Still, I expect to receive my Schiit pile at the end of the week.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #1,028 of 1,717
WOW!
blink.gif
WOW!
blink.gif
WOW!
blink.gif

My Schiit Asgard delivered today and it makes my LCD-2 a different beast. Wider soundstage and better higher-end struck me right away. Those factors are what I found as LCD-2 weakness when I used my A/V receiver or uDac-2 to power her
tongue.gif
Now everything is different
blink.gif

It's very different. Music is more alive. Can't believe how much I had been missing
blink.gif

I will finish my rig with a CA DacMagic. uDac-2 goes back to headquarter
blink.gif

P/S: How ironic that is when I did not expect my Asgard delivered today. EDD on tracking number is Sep 30. So When I saw a package at my porch my first words were Oh schiit!

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #1,029 of 1,717
Quote:
WOW!
blink.gif
WOW!
blink.gif
WOW!
blink.gif

My Schiit Asgard delivered today and it makes my LCD-2 a different beast. Wider soundstage and better higher-end struck me right away. Those factors are what I found as LCD-2 weakness when I used my A/V receiver or uDac-2 to power her
tongue.gif
Now everything is different
blink.gif

It's very different. Music is more alive. Can't believe how much I had been missing
blink.gif

Oh great.
frown.gif
Now it makes me want to get an LCD-2 to also hear what I've been missing.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #1,030 of 1,717

The LCD2 is a super headphone and works so well with my Decware CSP-2 / I bought a used Asgard to see if it outperforms my Matrix M Stage and see if it comes close to the CSP-2 but My Decware does a super job with the LCD2.
Quote:
Oh great.
frown.gif
Now it makes me want to get an LCD-2 to also hear what I've been missing.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #1,031 of 1,717
Did it?
tongue.gif

I was thinking about selling all my teeth to get a CSP-2+ (I have no arm or leg left after buying LCD-2) but then again I decided to go low first.

Life is journey, not a destination...
wink.gif

Quote:
The LCD2 is a super headphone and works so well with my Decware CSP-2 / I bought a used Asgard to see if it outperforms my Matrix M Stage and see if it comes close to the CSP-2 but My Decware does a super job with the LCD2.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #1,032 of 1,717

The CSP-2 is well worth the money and plays real well with the LCD2. If you can swing it the new has more adjustements and is 900.00
Quote:
Did it?
tongue.gif

I was thinking about selling all my teeth to get a CSP-2+ (I have no arm or leg left after buying LCD-2) but then again I decided to go low first.

Life is journey, not a destination...
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #1,033 of 1,717
Frank 

Would you be able to post your impressions on Asgard vs. Matrix M Stage ? I had asked this question (Matrix vs. Little Dot MK V vs. Asgard) but I was told to read up more by a very polite fellow. If you could summarize it with a paragraph or so, that would greatly be appreciated. 

Quote:

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #1,034 of 1,717

I will compare them as I do not plan to keep both/ I will do the comparison and post comments. it will be here friday so look for early impression over the weekend.
Quote:
Frank 

Would you be able to post your impressions on Asgard vs. Matrix M Stage ? I had asked this question (Matrix vs. Little Dot MK V vs. Asgard) but I was told to read up more by a very polite fellow. If you could summarize it with a paragraph or so, that would greatly be appreciated. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #1,035 of 1,717
Quote:

Oh great.
frown.gif
Now it makes me want to get an CSP-2+ to pair with the LCD2 to hear what I've been missing. Besides, the Decware CSP-2+ looks great too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back