Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Aug 9, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #766 of 1,717

Quote:

Using my LA D2000 Lites, I listened to the soundtrack of Xanadu (stop laughing).  

tongue.gif

Good to hear you're enjoying you Asgard.

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #768 of 1,717
Hey, if if anyone is really interested that is really likes their Asgard, and is wondering about the other amps in it's price-point, I would be willing to do a one or two week trade for an amp of mine, so that we can compare. Most of my amps are more, but it opens an opportunity to try different strokes. I have a Raptor, or an Amphora, or a HR Desktop. They all cost more, but they can really solidify, whether or not the Asgard was a good decision. 

I recently did a swap for the LCD-2 with the HE-5LE w/ kwkarth, and sans meet conditions, you can really have some good, quiet time with something you might have been
wondering about. It's really one of the finer points of being a trusted HF member.

I am really looking forward to getting a Valhalla from Jason, which should come the end of August.

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #771 of 1,717
It's how I roll, dude.
Actually, right now, I'd like to do a short term trade with anyone who has a balanced amp,
because I own balanced ins, but not outs, and I'd really like to hear my new 7000's sing, instead of dumbing them down
to single ended output.

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #773 of 1,717
No, if you say that it sounds just as good single ended as balanced, I trust you.

That, and in one sentence you just killed a multi-hundred thousand $$$ industry,

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #774 of 1,717
You can always use a better amp, but just because an amp is balanced doesn't mean that it's a better amp. By all means borrow a balanced amp, it's always fun to play with new stuff.

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #775 of 1,717
Biker, now why'd you have to go and do a thing like that! Got me thinking about a Raptor swap with my Little Dot MKVI balanced.. I'd need to get the fans fixed first though cause they are giving me a slight whirly mechanical rumble.

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #777 of 1,717
This whole myth about a conventional amp driving only "half" the headphone driver is just that, ...a myth.  There is no technical reason why a non-balanced headphone amp cannot be just as good or better than any "balanced" headphone amp.  Let's dispense with the myths.  What were called "balanced" headphone amps in their day was a very cleaver idea, allowing doubling the power output and slew rate of an existing stock of amplifier modules by bridging pairs without re-designing the modules.  It was state of the art for its day.  That's all history now.  Let's move on!!  
L3000.gif

I'm not saying that "balanced" headphone amps are bad, they're not, but all other things being equal, being called "balanced" does not make them any better.  The things like quality of components, technology, topology, current and voltage delivery capability, attention to detail, etc. are what make the difference.  None of the things that make today's "balanced" headphone amps great are necessarily unique to what are called "balanced" headphone amps.

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #779 of 1,717

Quote:
Hmmm........... Sadoequinenecrobeastiality.

I know, I know, beating a dead horse...  But I didn't enjoy it overly much, honest!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back