Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Aug 8, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #751 of 1,717
so ive been using the asgard with the HE5LE for the last couple days or so and i can say that it sounds great. my volume knob is at about 11oclock.  oddly the heat seemed to be less of an issue of late. i left it on all day yesterday and it wasnt as hot as the first couple days. i could be totally imagining it though.

neways for the price, if i had to pick between the asgard and any other amp, i think i would stick with the asgard.  looks and sounds amazing. the size is awesome and jason is absolutely great.  before buying it, we were going back n forth through emails after business hours on a friday if i remember correctly.

the only down point is that im going balanced with the toucan now and want to try that out. wonder whats gonna be better, balanced through the toucan, or SE with the asgard...... if they released a balanced asgard, id be done upgrading. 

i am in no way saying this is the greatest thing ever, but all factors combined, its a pretty good buy and i dont have to worry about warranty issues, sending it overseas or whatnot.

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #752 of 1,717

Quote:
so ive been using the asgard with the HE5LE for the last couple days or so and i can say that it sounds great. my volume knob is at about 11oclock.  oddly the heat seemed to be less of an issue of late. i left it on all day yesterday and it wasnt as hot as the first couple days. i could be totally imagining it though.

neways for the price, if i had to pick between the asgard and any other amp, i think i would stick with the asgard.  looks and sounds amazing. the size is awesome and jason is absolutely great.  before buying it, we were going back n forth through emails after business hours on a friday if i remember correctly.

the only down point is that im going balanced with the toucan now and want to try that out. wonder whats gonna be better, balanced through the toucan, or SE with the asgard...... if they released a balanced asgard, id be done upgrading. 

i am in no way saying this is the greatest thing ever, but all factors combined, its a pretty good buy and i dont have to worry about warranty issues, sending it overseas or whatnot.

Wow, the volume knob goes to eleven. That's loud.
wink_face.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #753 of 1,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

neways for the price, if i had to pick between the asgard and any other amp, i think i would stick with the asgard.  looks and sounds amazing. the size is awesome and jason is absolutely great.

The amp comes with Jason?

Cool! I'll have to get me one. Does he do windows?
beyersmile.png

se

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #754 of 1,717
When we have perfected cloning, you may have a Jason with every amplifier.

(Of course, you will be responsible for his care, feeding, education, and discipline (or lack thereof) as you raise him from zygote to window-washer, say, ten or fifteen years from now.)

I'm sorry, there are no trial periods on Jasons. Nor do we repair defective units. It's strictly "as is" condition, I'm afraid.

(By the way, the new sheetmetal is looking very good. We've made some significant production process changes that eliminate the source of problems we had with Valhalla. And no, we didn't send it overseas, in case you're wondering . . .)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #758 of 1,717

Quote:
Never mind. Found a fellow from Hong Kong on eBay selling Jasons dirt cheap.
biggrin.gif

se

I believe "dirt" is the operative word here (or there) and I bet that he doesn't even know how to open a window let alone wash one. I'd say send that "imitation Jason" back and get the "real deal."

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #759 of 1,717

Quote:
I believe "dirt" is the operative word here (or there) and I bet that he doesn't even know how to open a window let alone wash one. I'd say send that "imitation Jason" back and get the "real deal."

You don't get it, Clayton. It's not REALLY about doing windows. It's all about image. When I show off my cheap, Chinese counterfeit Jason, no one else will know. And they'll think I'm really cool. "Hey, check out Steve! He's got a Jason! He's soooo cool!"
biggrin.gif

se

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #760 of 1,717
Jeez I thought the balanced amplifier talk was off topic. You guys are really impressing me 
beerchug.gif
 (not that I have a problem with it)

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #761 of 1,717

Quote:

You don't get it, Clayton. It's not REALLY about doing windows. It's all about image. When I show off my cheap, Chinese counterfeit Jason, no one else will know. And they'll think I'm really cool. "Hey, check out Steve! He's got a Jason! He's soooo cool!"
biggrin.gif

se

Well, at least until everybody realizes that your Jason doesn't speak a lick of English...

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #762 of 1,717
Man, it stinks that Jason made the decision to not speak about furure products...
Of course, that would give us more to speculate about...

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #763 of 1,717
Here's a micro review. 

First, buyer beware, I'm a relative newbie.  I have been listening to the Asgard through my Oppo BDP-83, mostly hooked up with my Headroom Static image processor (so beware my soundstage comments).  I mostly use my Senn HD 650's, but have listened with my ATH M50's and Ety 6i's, and just for kicks my old Koss pro 4AA.

For comparison, I have listened to my Marantz SR 6004 integrated amp and old Headroom More/Little.  Simply, it puts the rest to shame.  It has massive silent clean power.  It brings out full clean bass, rich mids, extended highs.  Once I discovered putting on my Senn's backwards, the sound stage and clarity improved further, so it compares favorably with my man sized Magnepan 1.7's, and that's saying a lot.  Things aren't quite as grand as with the other headphones, but there is undeniable improvement across the board- so it's not just a one trick pony.

I worried about FOTM fever, but bought based on a US product,robust and simple design, 5 year warranty, 15 day return, and fair price.  Perhaps there might be some hype, but I can at least say from this newbie to other newbies out there - you know who you are- the Asgard is a well made product and will not dissapoint someone interested in clean honest pure music.

And the heat issues - stupid.  Who really cares?  Are you going to get trapped underneath it?  For kicks I left my hand underneath the hottest part for several minutes, and didn't break a sweat.

PS:  I've been so focussed on the name Schiit, that I've just realized that the amp name "Asgard" plus an "s" and  "u" turns it into a tushy protector.

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #764 of 1,717

Quote:
And the heat issues - stupid.  Who really cares?  Are you going to get trapped underneath it?  For kicks I left my hand underneath the hottest part for several minutes, and didn't break a sweat.

So you put your hand under your Schiit...?
eek.gif

I guess that gives new meaning to "want in one hand, Schiit in the other..."

Sorry, couldn't resist
biggrin.gif

I have about 50 hours on the amp and I hooked it up to my Little Dot Digital Transport and DAC.  Using my LA D2000 Lites, I listened to the soundtrack of Xanadu (stop laughing).  OLJ's voice was simply incredible and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.  The detail was amazing, even for my closed cans.  I can't wait to try the LCD-2s with this setup.

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back