Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Aug 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #796 of 1,717

Quote:
Here, here! Some very good points, Yikes. To some audiophiles, R10's are the best headphones ever made. Qualias, maybe less so, but highly coveted nonetheless.

I would imagine that the Wired review, albeit written by someone not qualified enough to properly assess the amp's merits, is still reasonably positive. It would have been a better test to pop some higher-impedance cans on there. RS-1's are some of the easiest cans to drive (even among Grados). Still, for a $250 'boutique item' to rate a respectable '8' while only providing subtle improvements (to the reviewer), is plenty positive. I wonder if Wired has done a proper review of other amps, DAC's and hi-fi cans, before. (I somewhat recall a glowing review of a pair of SR-325is's, but that may have been in Stuff Magazine.)  

Yeah, if the Asgard rates an "8," what, in their stable, gets a "10?"

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #798 of 1,717

Quote:
Why not ask 'em?

se

Me?  I'm too lazy.  I would, seemingly, rather speculate and gainsay in circles than do something as direct as that!!  Good heavens!!

Go for it!!

BTW, good news for all of us luddites:

[size=15pt]Believing You Can Be Smarter Actually Makes You Smarter[/size]

[size=9pt]It's no surprise that self confidence plays an important role in our performance, but findings published by the American Psychological Association suggest all it takes to boost your smarts is believing that you can be smarter.[/size]

[size=9pt]Despite a lot of evidence to the contrary, many people believe that intelligence is fixed, and, moreover, that some racial and social groups are inherently smarter than others. Merely evoking these stereotypes about the intellectual inferiority of these groups (such as women and Blacks) is enough to harm the academic [performance] of members of these groups. Social psychologist Claude Steele and his collaborators (2002) have called this phenomenon "stereotype threat."[/size]
[size=9pt]Yet social psychologists Aronson, Fried, and Good (2001) have developed a possible antidote to stereotype threat. They taught African American and European American college students to think of intelligence as changeable, rather than fixed - a lesson that many psychological studies suggests is true. Students in a control group did not receive this message. Those students who learned about IQ's malleability improved their grades more than did students who did not receive this message, and also saw academics as more important than did students in the control group.[/size]

[size=9pt]Racial, gender, and social stereotypes aside, it's a good bit of information to keep in mind next time you run into a stumbling block in your work, studies, or hobbies. Your smarts aren't set in stone, and simply believing that can significantly improve your ability to learn.[/size]
[size=9pt]Believing You Can Get Smarter Makes You Smarter[/size][size=9pt] [APA][/size]

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #799 of 1,717

Quote:
Me?  I'm too lazy.  I would, seemingly, rather speculate and gainsay in circles than do something as direct as that!!  Good heavens!!

Go for it!!

Me? I'm too shy.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
BTW, good news for all of us luddites:

Thanks for that! I need to pass that on to my mother and sister. They've both fallen for that trap.

se

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #800 of 1,717
"all it takes to boost your smarts is believing that you can be smarter."

What about if you already believe that you are smarter? Which much more accurately describes many of us on this website. :)

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #801 of 1,717
Ha ha... too true, Yikes! Truer still if you were referring to H-C instead of H-F, dare I say. That site is comparatively insular, to say the least.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #802 of 1,717
In reference to the Wired review:

It's interesting to see what other people (outside our community) think about our products, isn't it?

When Wired asked for a sample of the Asgard, I replied "You betcha!" without really worrying about what might come of it. The more exposure we get in the mainstream, the better it is for everyone. At the least, it raises the level of awareness that "Hey, there are things besides iPods and Apple earbuds out there!" At most, hey . . .  it might help raise the standard of all the gear out there. Then we all win.

(And if someone discovers audio nirvana in the process, so much the better.)

Now, will someone send them a "10," please? 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 14, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #806 of 1,717
aw since when are we making names? i totally missed out on the fun!

not sure if this has been thrown out there but my choice would be Apollo or one of its different spellings. especially for a DAC
APOLLO
A son of Greek god Zeus, Apollo is god of the Sun, poetry, music and the arts. He is a deity of light and clarity, representing rational thought, truth and healing.

he is the god of clarity! music and arts! lol

does the winner get a free Apollo? personally i would go with one of his other spellings of his name.

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #808 of 1,717

Quote:
I have been brainstorming new names for the unable to be commented upon new products:

Frigg
Baldr
Mjolnir (as in "Come hold my mighty Mjolnir")

Someone plays Too Human, or just knows their Norsk pantheon...?

I like Mjolnir.

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #810 of 1,717
I'm happy to read that the Wired reviewers at least liked the amp, but honestly, I seriously doubt they know what they're talking about.  The fact that they mentioned heat as an issue means, to me, that they haven't reviewed many class-A amps before.

Quote:
Lookee here!:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_schiit_amp?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+(Wired%3A+Index+3+(Top+Stories+2))

Glad to see that a top-tier techie mag' like WIRED is interested (and impressed) with this amp.  Not that we are dealing with a 'most-expert audiophile' review, or anything ("Makes for a subtly better listening experience, by staying fuzz-free on even the most complex music"; "Not enough of an improvement for all but the most-expert audiophile." - ??). But I am sure that it represents welcome coverage of Schiit and our esoteric 'little' hobby, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back