Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Aug 14, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #811 of 1,717

Quote:
In reference to the Wired review:

It's interesting to see what other people (outside our community) think about our products, isn't it?

When Wired asked for a sample of the Asgard, I replied "You betcha!" without really worrying about what might come of it. The more exposure we get in the mainstream, the better it is for everyone. At the least, it raises the level of awareness that "Hey, there are things besides iPods and Apple earbuds out there!" At most, hey . . .  it might help raise the standard of all the gear out there. Then we all win.

(And if someone discovers audio nirvana in the process, so much the better.)

Now, will someone send them a "10," please? 

Jason, you already sent them a 10.  They didn't realize it!

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #812 of 1,717
I still don't know what a Class A or Class "whatever" amplifier is. Neither do I understand what single-ended means. I just know when an amp produces sound that I enjoy; and when an amp doesn't -- or somewheres betwixt and between. The Asgard is an amp that produces sound that I DO enjoy--immensely. And in my book that is what a Class A amp is.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #813 of 1,717

Quote:
I still don't know what a Class A or Class "whatever" amplifier is. Neither do I understand what single-ended means. I just know when an amp produces sound that I enjoy; and when an amp doesn't -- or somewheres betwixt and between. The Asgard is an amp that produces sound that I DO enjoy--immensely. And in my book that is what a Class A amp is.
biggrin.gif

Clayton, I like the way you think!  How it sounds to the listener is all that really matters.

The various classes of amplifier topology have to do with how they're biased.which in turn dictates the efficiency, heat production, and ultimately, how it sounds.

When you're in the mood, check out this link.  Happy listening and happy reading!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #814 of 1,717

Quote:
Clayton, I like the way you think!  How it sounds to the listener is all that really mattersWhen you're in the mood, check out this link.  Happy listening and happy reading! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier

kwkarth--
Bingo! I have begun to read. Please don't quiz me at the end of the month. Speed reading is not an option here. This is exactly what the Audiophile Doctor ordered. Thanks for the link. I feel smarter already!

Now I've learned my Class A, B, AB, C's ...

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #816 of 1,717

Quote:
If you can hold out for a while I know a certain individual who will be getting both the HF2's and LCD-2's in the near future (he already has the Asgard). 

From what I've read, there is supposed to be great synergy between both the aforementioned 'phones and amp.

Thanks Darksyde - well...since I have both the LCD-2s and HF-2's and your friend has the Asgard already we should organize a mini-meet. You're in TO and I'm just north of there so what the hey.
Would be a great way to end the summer and meet some other Head-Fiers - I'm sure that Punkaroo and Canuck57 would be interested plus a number of others from recent meets.  If not, let me
know when your friend gets his phones and can do a review.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #817 of 1,717

Quote:
Yeah, if the Asgard rates an "8," what, in their stable, gets a "10?"

Quote:
In reference to the Wired review:

It's interesting to see what other people (outside our community) think about our products, isn't it?

When Wired asked for a sample of the Asgard, I replied "You betcha!" without really worrying about what might come of it. The more exposure we get in the mainstream, the better it is for everyone. At the least, it raises the level of awareness that "Hey, there are things besides iPods and Apple earbuds out there!" At most, hey . . .  it might help raise the standard of all the gear out there. Then we all win.

(And if someone discovers audio nirvana in the process, so much the better.)

Now, will someone send them a "10," please? 

I heard the Asgard today at the Colorado meet, and it was nice.  I'd hate to rank things on a 1-10 scale because it doesn't easily allow for fine gradations of sound quality in between amps, or rating amps on a similar level that just sound a little different.  

Do you call a 10 the perfect mythical amp or just the best you've heard?  If it's just the best you've heard, something that is an 8 to me might be a 10 to someone else who hasn't heard better.  That's why I hate putting stars on my head-fi reviews.

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #818 of 1,717
HeadphoneAddict, I assume that a 1-10 rating of some sort is forthcoming. I hope so anyway. I understand that it may be hard to assign a value, but, based on your personal experience-based ratings scale, I am sure that your evaluation will be most helpful. :)

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #819 of 1,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I heard the Asgard today at the Colorado meet, and it was nice.  I'd hate to rank things on a 1-10 scale because it doesn't easily allow for fine gradations of sound quality in between amps, or rating amps on a similar level that just sound a little different.

Do you call a 10 the perfect mythical amp or just the best you've heard?  If it's just the best you've heard, something that is an 8 to me might be a 10 to someone else who hasn't heard better.  That's why I hate putting stars on my head-fi reviews.

A very good point. Very good. Would that also mean that a 1 is the worst that you've heard or the worst that someone else has heard? Also when someone says to me, "On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does this hurt," I would be basing it on the pain I "think" I can endure assuming that a 10 is something I've yet to experience and only have read about. I shudder to imagine!

So a 10 for me is probably the perfect mythical amp.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #820 of 1,717

Quote:
HeadphoneAddict, I assume that a 1-10 rating of some sort is forthcoming. I hope so anyway. I understand that it may be hard to assign a value, but, based on your personal experience-based ratings scale, I am sure that your evaluation will be most helpful. :)

I wouldn't assume anything of the kind, he just got done posting that "I hate putting stars on my head-fi reviews".

How should someone rate a product? On an Absolute Scale? or a Relative Scale? and should value be considered?

An Absolute scale is frankly impossible, because no-one has heard or is intimately familiar with every product available. The same can be said of rating on a Relative scale (Where a product is rated within its price range). As far as Value goes; value is extremely dependent on the users perspective, and therefore varies for each user.

So someone writing a review is left with a decision. How to communicate useful information about a product? A well written review will make an effort at giving a cogent description of a products technical and ergonomic characteristics and its sonic signature (Is it bright, warm, dynamic, or dull). It's also helpful if the product can be directly compared to at least one or two well known products to offer a comparative baseline.

Boiling a review down to a single numeric Rating is ultimately catering to the person who is too lazy to read the review, it is in essence a lazy reviewers response to lazy readers.

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #821 of 1,717
Point well-taken, Yikes. I wrote that last comment when it was rather late. What I should have written was something to the effect of 'I hope you post your findings - numerical or otherwise - in an in-depth review at some point'. There seems to be a lack of reviews of this amp, and I suppose this was just wishful thinking. It is a rather new entry here, but I would hope, at least, that there will be a thorough assessment of the Asgard and Valhalla - comparatively? - in the near future (after the Valhalla actually ships, of course). HeadphoneAddict certainly has the chops to pull off something thorough and insightful. :)

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #822 of 1,717

Quote:

To me, a 10 is within it's category and includes price/performance ratio.  On an absolute scale, I agree with you, too many fine gradations needed...endless task...

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #823 of 1,717

Quote:
I have been brainstorming new names for the unable to be commented upon new products:

Frigg
Baldr
Mjolnir (as in "Come hold my mighty Mjolnir")

The answer is obvious after the "Valhalla" naming convention...

...Zeus!

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #825 of 1,717

The answer is obvious after the "Valhalla" naming convention...

...Zeus!

How is that obvious? They are currently using a Norse Mythology (Places) convention. So how is switching to Greek Mythology (Person) obvious? Olympus would be much more obvious, at least that would be sticking to a Mythological Places naming convention.

I'm done busting your balls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back