Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Aug 16, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #843 of 1,717
I'm no expert, but metal grain happens a lot when pre-fab blocks are pressed into sheet metal and the temperature and pressure are not evenly applied.

Quote:

Did you find out what their "secret sauce" was for dealing with the pre-grained material?

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #844 of 1,717
I noticed my Asgard had some pretty bad grain at the bend points.  I didn't notice it in the pictures Jude posted but was still surprised.  However, for a $250 amp, sacrifices will be made.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #845 of 1,717

Quote:
I'm no expert, but metal grain happens a lot when pre-fab blocks are pressed into sheet metal and the temperature and pressure are not evenly applied.

I wasn't talking about the metal's natural grain, but rather applied graining (a/k/a "brushed aluminum").

se

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #846 of 1,717
My B-Stock Asgard also has grain at the front top and bottom bends. Sort of looks like a mild case of alligator skin. Don't know if this was the reason for it being B-Stock but it doesn't bother me. Can't see it in the dark!

The only thing I don't like about the Asgard is the bright power on led. It's not as bright as a lot of the Chinese amps but it's still too bright for me. I normally replace the blinding blue leds on amps like the Matrix and Cute Beyond with a low intensity red led from Radio Shack. Don't know why designers feel the need to use those eye piercing leds.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #848 of 1,717

Quote:
are you refering to the additional venting holes?
i sure would love to see some current pics... 

Actually, the problem was that the grain was too inconsistent and wavy, caused by a production process with way too much hand-work involved. The new process has all the machining done on the flat sheet (before bending) and we're using pre-grained metal that is protected by plastic. Then it's bent in a new, teflon-coated die. No more handwork before anodizing.

No photos of the new chassis yet, but here's one of the (bad) chassis--defects really can't be seen at this resolution, but they're definitely there. Yeah, messy bench too . . .

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 17, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #850 of 1,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then it's bent in a new, teflon-coated die.

So it was Teflon, eh? Figured it had to be that or Delrin.

Quote:
Yeah, messy bench too . . .

If you think that's a messy bench, then you've obviously never seen a messy bench.
biggrin.gif

se

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #851 of 1,717
The teaser pics of the Valhalla are brutal...two weeks until shipping!!

Jason & Co nailed the Wired review.  The more "mainstream" folk that we can get into this hobby the better off we'll all be.

I had a guy here at work as me about some headphones to get since he was tired of the stock iPod buds.  I gave him a few recommendations in his price bracket, he chose to go with AT-AD700s.  He likes what he's no hearing out of them and he's heard me discussing amps/DACs with another co-worker and now he's kicking around the idea of getting an amp too.

Bill

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #852 of 1,717

Quote:
The teaser pics of the Valhalla are brutal...two weeks until shipping!!

Jason & Co nailed the Wired review.  The more "mainstream" folk that we can get into this hobby the better off we'll all be.

I had a guy here at work as me about some headphones to get since he was tired of the stock iPod buds.  I gave him a few recommendations in his price bracket, he chose to go with AT-AD700s.  He likes what he's no hearing out of them and he's heard me discussing amps/DACs with another co-worker and now he's kicking around the idea of getting an amp too.

Bill

Yes! Spread the WORD! They shall be converted!
wink.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #854 of 1,717
Unsubscribe! Let's get this back on track, people...
rolleyes.gif

Any further impressions on how the Asgard actually performs with specific mention to particular cans and DAC's? I assume that there are many out there that have put this amp through its paces and now have a pretty good idea about its strengths and weaknesses after a healthy 'break-in' period.

I am hoping that it will be a good match for my pair of HD600's and V-DAC. Times are tough and I may have to sell my GLite + DPS, but only after I am sure that the Asgard will drive these cans in this setup well. I do understand that it "likes Sennheisers", but I am particularly curious about how it compares to the GLite in terms of detail and bass depth. The V-DAC provides some warmer 'tubey' flavor, but if the Asgard is more shrill than the GLite, I may be in trouble. That said, I do not seek roll-off in the higher frequencies. Further bass 'heft' would also be most appreciated. 

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #855 of 1,717
^ Sorry. Just a little levity here. We're just smitten. No harm done.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back