Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Aug 18, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #856 of 1,717
sampson_smith,

I haven't tried the Asgard with HD600s, but find that the current available from the Asgard and its Class A topology certainly provide bass heft and detail on my HE-5LE cans. Also haven't heard the GLite so not able to give an impression on how they compare. But my 2cents FWIW...

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #857 of 1,717
The Asgard and the HD600s are a match made in heaven.

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #859 of 1,717
Debitsohn, if you do not mind me asking, why did you sell your Asgard? (I assume that you kept it beyond the 15 day trial period because you originally wanted to keep it.) What sort of rig had you been using it with?

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #861 of 1,717

Quote:
The Asgard and the HD600s are a match made in heaven.

I am very glad to hear this, kwkarth! This is encouraging news, but I wonder if you can qualify what makes this amp 'heavenly', perhaps in comparison to how other amps handle the HD600's? I love those cans and if their partnership with the Asgard is as fruitious as you imply, well... I'll be gobsmacked to say the least! Currently the GLite + DPS drive them with authority, but I assume there are better pairings possible.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #863 of 1,717

Quote:
I am very glad to hear this, kwkarth! This is encouraging news, but I wonder if you can qualify what makes this amp 'heavenly', perhaps in comparison to how other amps handle the HD600's? I love those cans and if their partnership with the Asgard is as fruitious as you imply, well... I'll be gobsmacked to say the least! Currently the GLite + DPS drive them with authority, but I assume there are better pairings possible.

I know things change over time, including ourselves, but when the Asgard arrived, after I had it here and running for about a week, I started dragging out some of my old cans.  From what I can tell, I have never heard my HD-600s sound so good as they do from the Asgard.  It just seems to have the perfect synergy for them.  If I had used this amp for the 600s back in the day, I would never have complained about the Sennheiser "veil" because it's gone!!!  I am truly impressed at the sound of the 600s with this amp.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #864 of 1,717

Quote:
Kwkarth,

I'd also be interested if you were able to compare the Senn 650 and 600 on the Asgard.

I don't own a pair of 650s right now, but whenever I've compared them on other occasions, I never felt they were an improvement over the 600s...As a matter of fact, I felt the 600s (with Cardas cable) were better than the 650s.

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #865 of 1,717

Quote:
I don't own a pair of 650s right now, but whenever I've compared them on other occasions, I never felt they were an improvement over the 600s...As a matter of fact, I felt the 600s (with Cardas cable) were better than the 650s.

Totally agree. The 650 was supposed to be a large improvement over the 600's but I feel that they were a let down in that
department.

Quote:
...I'm done busting your balls.

Thank goodness for that. My balls have taken a lifetime of abuse already.

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #866 of 1,717
Quote:
I know things change over time, including ourselves, but when the Asgard arrived, after I had it here and running for about a week, I started dragging out some of my old cans.  From what I can tell, I have never heard my HD-600s sound so good as they do from the Asgard.  It just seems to have the perfect synergy for them.  If I had used this amp for the 600s back in the day, I would never have complained about the Sennheiser "veil" because it's gone!!!  I am truly impressed at the sound of the 600s with this amp.

This is VERY encouraging news. Just as was dreaming about going big and saving up for a WA6SE. I am pretty sure that I will be getting the Asgard now, if just for the HD600's. Thanks for the input! :)

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #867 of 1,717

Quote:
Totally agree. The 650 was supposed to be a large improvement over the 600's but I feel that they were a let down in that
department.

Quote:
Thank goodness for that. My balls have taken a lifetime of abuse already.

I think that conclusion is probably right with the first generation 650.  Ever since the driver of the 650 was tweaked a few years back, I prefer the newer 650 over the older 600 and 650.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #868 of 1,717

Quote:
I think that conclusion is probably right with the first generation 650.  Ever since the driver of the 650 was tweaked a few years back, I prefer the newer 650 over the older 600 and 650.

X2

Peete.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #869 of 1,717
Aug 20, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #870 of 1,717

Quote:

x2

I have used the HD600's [with Cardas cables] extensively for digitizing my LP collection with a high quality analog front-end [VPI turntable and Audio Research PH-2 phono preamp] for several years with a variety of audio interfaces [MOTU 828 mk2, Presonus FireBox and now Apogee Duet] using the built-in headphone amps in the interfaces for monitoring & playback.

The Asgard has provided a very significant step-up in monitoring & playback sound quality -- allowing me to hear more detail and tonal nuance in the digital files.  The quality of these recordings [with all three interfaces captured @ 96KHz/24 bits] with this front-end preserved the essence of what was on the LP's but was never revealed fully until I got the Asgard.

The HD600/Asgard combo is a sweet combo for my money!

scs999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back