Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Aug 22, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #886 of 1,717
I have been using the Asgard with my AKG 702's for over a month now and this combo sounds fantastic to me. Prior to the Asgard, I was using my cans with my Sony 5400 ES reciever's headphone jack, set on direct mode. My source is the NAD C 565BEE CD player, connected with a nice pair of Audioquest  cables. This is my first headphone amp. I found this amp by reading The Audiophilac column on CNET. 
With nothing to compare them to, I can only describe how the AKG's sound on my Asgard. Compared to the Sony, everything sounds tighter, cleaner and more detailed. The soundstage really opened up and made headphone listening even more enjoyable. It's a big step up in sound quality for me, and I appreciate my cans even more than I did.
I was going to buy the new Burson Amp, but after reading Mr. Guttenberg's review of the Asgard, I decided to roll the dice, (not much of a gamble with the 15 day moneyback return policy). I have learned alot from reading hundreds of posts on this web site, and the upgrade  of my new Schitt vs the old has been an eye and ear opener. After the first of the year, I'm planning my next step up and plan to buy the Sennheiser 800. Till then, I'm groving with the AKG 702.

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #887 of 1,717
Hey Steve...
se...
How ya've been?
Guess what?
It's:
T minus 10 days until the Valhalla is released--on August 31. (Or maybe sooner, yes?)
tongue_smile.gif

I know it's not the Asgard. But it's still Schiit!

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #888 of 1,717

Quote:

Maybe it's time to start a Valhalla thread? I almost feel bad to keep hijacking this Asgard one. Almost.

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #889 of 1,717

Quote:
Hey Steve...
se...
How ya've been?
Guess what?
It's:
T minus 10 days until the Valhalla is released--on August 31. (Or maybe sooner, yes?)
tongue_smile.gif

Hey Clayton!

Still kickin'. And still deciding whether I want to go with the Asgard or the Valhalla. Financial priorities are still elsewhere at the moment so I've got time.

se

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #890 of 1,717
I know that this may have been said, but it is so great to see this company doing their thing in the US with as many US parts as possible.  Keep up the great work guys! I would love to hear your equipment and hope that I someday have the opportunity to!

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #895 of 1,717

Quote:
Hey Steve...
se...
How ya've been?
Guess what?
It's:
tongue_smile.gif

Lest I be thought a fan boy, I think the front panel looks way too cluttered and confusing.

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #897 of 1,717
I love the look of that valhalla. Wish the tubes were higher for aesthetic reasons, but that's a small gripe for one of the cleanest looking tube amps I've ever seen.

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #898 of 1,717
T minus 5 days until the Valhalla is released--on August 31. (Or maybe sooner, yes?)
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #899 of 1,717

Quote:
T minus 5 days until the Valhalla is released--on August 31. (Or maybe sooner, yes?)
tongue_smile.gif

What an awful design.  So cluttered and asymmetrical.

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #900 of 1,717
Thank god for this thread. It has renewed my faith in the sanity of Head-Fi after reading some of the nonsense coming out of the depths of this forum (*cough* tweak forum). If I weren't saving up my cash for a Beta 22 I would be all over one of these amps. Unless someone feels like convincing me that I need both 
eek.gif

Maybe I need a Schiit for my dorm/office rig.

I'm so bad at keeping money in my wallet. Nothing but ramen for me for the next few years.  Damn these college incomes (or college lack-of-incomes.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back