Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,411 of 2,857
I would imagine that everything is moving more slowly for them. They are now sanitizing everything and working in distanced conditions which probably just makes the entire team at least 25% less productive (seeing this in all manufacturing in California BTW, even windows and doors are running behind). Not to mention, who knows how their staff has been impacted by the bevy of wildfires over the last month. Crazy times.

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #1,412 of 2,857
Been using the Asgard 2 for many years. Is it worth upgrading to Asgard 3? What are the major differences?

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #1,413 of 2,857
Been using the Asgard 2 for many years. Is it worth upgrading to Asgard 3? What are the major differences?
Asgard 3 is now modular, and adds a connector for one internal card (such as d/s dac, multibit dac, or MM phono preamp module). Note that the DAC cards only have a single USB input, no S/PDIF coax, no S/PDIF optical. (RCA inputs and pre outs remain the same)

Max power is increased, uses Continuity(tm) circuit for max power ~ 3.5W into 32 ohms, runs Class A up to about 500mW into 32 ohms.

comes in choice of silver or black enclosure.

price (currently) is also $50 cheaper at $199!

but, also backordered right now for about 30 days due to parts shortages.

sound wise vs A2, unknown at this point, as I have an Asgard 2, and I am in the backorder queue for Asgard 3. will post to this thread with future review ~ mid Oct.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,415 of 2,857
Any thoughts on why I might be hearing a pretty loud noise floor through my Asgard 3 on high gain with LCD2C? Might be something in windows causing interferrence. However I have audio drivers off in my BIOS which just sends audio to my DAC.

might be a ground loop problem. can be fixed using a AC (mains) power ground loop isolator either on the Asgard 3 or the source computer.

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,416 of 2,857
Asgard 3 is now modular, and adds a connector for one internal card (such as d/s dac, multibit dac, or MM phono preamp module). Note that the DAC cards only have a single USB input, no S/PDIF coax, no S/PDIF optical. (RCA inputs and pre outs remain the same)

Max power is increased, uses Continuity(tm) circuit for max power ~ 3.5W into 32 ohms, runs Class A up to about 500mW into 32 ohms.

sound wise vs A2, unknown at this point, as I have an Asgard 2, and I am in the backorder queue for Asgard 3. will post to this thread with future review ~ mid Oct.
Not to point out the obvious, but why did you post this?

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #1,417 of 2,857
Something I noticed people asking here and elsewhere, was whether to consider a Valhalla 2 over the Asgard 3, so I made a video that hopefully helps with answering that.

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #1,418 of 2,857
Something I noticed people asking here and elsewhere, was whether to consider a Valhalla 2 over the Asgard 3, so I made a video that hopefully helps with answering that.

You forgot the Asgard 3 + a 3rd party tube buffer preamp (in my case the FX Audio TUBE-01 w/ GE JAN 5654W tubes) $199 + $48 with upgraded tubes

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #1,419 of 2,857
You forgot the Asgard 3 + a 3rd party tube buffer preamp (in my case the FX Audio TUBE-01 w/ GE JAN 5654W tubes) $199 + $48 with upgraded tubes

I'd just buy a Lyr 3.

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,421 of 2,857

Thank you I am looking forward to your review.

Will Asgard be powerful enough for the Susvara?

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #1,422 of 2,857
Thank you I am looking forward to your review.

Will Asgard be powerful enough for the Susvara?
by some calculations, I think Asgard 3 should be capable of about 2.1W or so max power into 60 ohms (maybe more)

83dB/mW 60 ohms is the spec I could find for Susvara.

so 1 Watt would give 113dB, 2 watts 116dB, which should be plenty loud (enough to cause hearing damage),

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,423 of 2,857
by some calculations, I think Asgard 3 should be capable of about 2.1W or so max power into 60 ohms (maybe more)

83dB/mW 60 ohms is the spec I could find for Susvara.

so 1 Watt would give 113dB, 2 watts 116dB, which should be plenty loud (enough to cause hearing damage),
Got it thanks for the calculations ^^
I found the Asgard 2 too not have enough power. Full knob on some songs and still not enough.

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #1,425 of 2,857
Asgard 2 should still get fairly loud. are you using the 'high' gain setting (rear panel switch near the RCA jacks on A2) ?
Yep. The Susvara are just crazy most difficult to drive hp that demand the power of the sun or nuclear reactor. They are so far the only hp that Asgard could not push.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back