Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #1,396 of 2,863
I am really happy with my Asgard 3 and the MultiBit DAC, esp. when streaming Tidal in the Hi-Fi mode (as far as I can tell, 44.1/16). However, many albums now exist only in Master (MQA) quality. Some albums are available in both encodings. What are your thoughts on this, because I am of the opinion that the Hi-Fi signal is rendered much more pleasantly by the Multibit DAC compared to the first-level software unfolded MQA stream that Tidal provides (or for that matter, a Master-file capped to Hi-Fi output in Tidal settings).

I also have a Dragonfly Red that does support MQA to some level, and for Master-files, I prefer this DAC over the MultiBit. Still, when given a choice, I will opt for the non-Master file and render it through the Multibit whenever possible.

Curious if anyone else have the same experience. Thanks!

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #1,397 of 2,863
I dont do anything but bitperfect.....rip cds to lossless and play from a music player Jriver or Foobar...total control of the source into the dac etc...and I prefer MB dacs over DS dacs. So Schiit multibit for me is a perfect solution...Most of the material is still redbook, and Schiit doenst support any of the MQA etc codings....you can read all about this in Jasons Chapters he has published.

Recently I have tried digital streaming via Qobuz which has many albums in 44.1/16 and higher formats, I have listened many times to all these samplig and bit rates and honestly they all sound the same.....YMMV. They dont do MQA as far as I know but have HI-RES images to play. Again they all sound the same to me.

Seeing how this is an Asgard 3 thread, you might want to pose your question on the "many" MQA discussions here at Head-fi..there are tons of them.

Glad your liking the Asgard 3, and its internal MB dac...if u get a chance try a Bifrost 2 with some well recorded material, I doubt MQA will make this any better IMO.

Alex

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,398 of 2,863
Glad your liking the Asgard 3, and its internal MB dac...if u get a chance try a Bifrost 2 with some well recorded material, I doubt MQA will make this any better IMO.

Alex

Thanks Alex, will read some more MQA threads on here. That was kinda my point, RedBook audio through the MultiBit sounds way better than MQA to my ears. Using a MQA capable DAC, it is much improved (and absolutely nice enough) but still quite different from RedBook. But also, the MultiBit does not sound good if you push the Master files through it.

As you say, knowing your source material is important. I avoid anything compressed :)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,399 of 2,863
Thanks Alex, will read some more MQA threads on here. That was kinda my point, RedBook audio through the MultiBit sounds way better than MQA to my ears. Using a MQA capable DAC, it is much improved (and absolutely nice enough) but still quite different from RedBook. But also, the MultiBit does not sound good if you push the Master files through it.

As you say, knowing your source material is important. I avoid anything compressed :)
I use Amazon Music HD, since they use up to 24/96 Stereo PCM in FLAC format. No MQA.

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,400 of 2,863

agree there!!

I listen to mostly ripped CD....dbpoweramp or use qobuz and listen with the wasapi exclusive mode...and with the B2 its really 'superb" here for me....just awesome.

I just got the Asgard 3, had the original and have a Lyr 3 and Jotenheim...all great amps as well and i rotate thry them every other day just to listen with a different amp. with anyone of them i can easily get lost in the music after a few minutes...there are differences but they are slight IMO...

Enjoy the music and nice meeting you!

Alex

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,401 of 2,863
I am really happy with my Asgard 3 and the MultiBit DAC, esp. when streaming Tidal in the Hi-Fi mode (as far as I can tell, 44.1/16). However, many albums now exist only in Master (MQA) quality. Some albums are available in both encodings. What are your thoughts on this, because I am of the opinion that the Hi-Fi signal is rendered much more pleasantly by the Multibit DAC compared to the first-level software unfolded MQA stream that Tidal provides (or for that matter, a Master-file capped to Hi-Fi output in Tidal settings).

I also have a Dragonfly Red that does support MQA to some level, and for Master-files, I prefer this DAC over the MultiBit. Still, when given a choice, I will opt for the non-Master file and render it through the Multibit whenever possible.

Curious if anyone else have the same experience. Thanks!

So I've just got a new Asgard3 as of yesterday, but not yet a desktop DAC to go with it. I bought an A&K SR25 a few months ago thinking I'd use it on the go, but 2020 is not about being out and around so much... So I got the Asgard for my stuck-working-at-home life, and the SR25 line out sounds pretty great while I figure out what desktop DAC to get.

Your comment on the Dragonfly Red got me to thinking, would I bother having a go with the FiiO i1 Lightning adapter I got a while ago to use with my iPhone as a modest SQ improvement and for the inline mic? That'll be sh** right?

But no, I'm REALLY quite surprised how good this actually sounds with the Asgard, thanks for the tip!
I reckon most of what I am hearing is due to the Asgard & CA Cascade headphones, but still the iPhone and i1 are not letting me down at all.

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #1,403 of 2,863
Well, I just got my A3/4490 dac. And it's really terrific. Head and shoulders above my SMSL A18 or my Fiio BTR5. It's hard to describe the difference, but mainly I guess I can say the sound is more full, more revealing, more impactful. i like it a lot.

PS. I'm listening with my HD650s. I"ll have to try my other cans eventually. I'm looking forward to digging out my DT880/600...I have a hunch I'm in for a real treat now that I've got the juice for them.

Sep 13, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,404 of 2,863
Well, I just got my A3/4490 dac. And it's really terrific. Head and shoulders above my SMSL A18 or my Fiio BTR5. It's hard to describe the difference, but mainly I guess I can say the sound is more full, more revealing, more impactful. i like it a lot.

PS. I'm listening with my HD650s. I"ll have to try my other cans eventually. I'm looking forward to digging out my DT880/600...I have a hunch I'm in for a real treat now that I've got the juice for them.

What I can't tell is if the sound out of my Vanatoo powered speakers is different. I've gone from connecting them to my phone/computer via USB to connecting them to the A3 using the AUX in port on the speakers on one and the RCA outs on the A3. The main advantage is the use of the volume knob. Before there was no easy way to control the volume. I REALLY like that. Oh, and plus I don't have to switch the audio settings on the mac since everything's going through the A3. On the other hand, Vanatoos actually convert the analog signal back to digital and then play, so there's another layer of data manipulation, I guess, and who the heck knows if anything is getting lost in translation. Maybe I can set it up for some A-B comparisons.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #1,407 of 2,863
I forgot to add: in addition to the know, the feel of plugging and unplugging headphones is oddly satisfying. Same with the power switch.

Like this? :sunglasses:

AE75822D-6B2F-4E75-8BDE-055AE2EA1390.jpeg

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,408 of 2,863
So rather than do a “total” here is the Asgard 3 review or experience, which has been done several times already with this $199 Schitt marvel…this is just about my experience and some of the things that are important to me, my music, tastes and headphones I use day to day.

I use a lot of Schiit stuff here on daily basis. Lyr 3, Jotenheim, used to have a Vahalla 2, OG Lyr, OG Asgard and a Magnius.

One thing that i did notice with the Asgard 3 is that its no loger Class A for the most part, but the first 500 mw is “heavily biased” into Class A and and as Schiit states its like having a 1/2 watt Class A amp with a 3.5 Class AB turbo charger…hmm sound like an American Muscle car paradigm!! LOL.

What this means to me is it doesnt run “hot” enough to fry eggs on like the first generation Asgard! I stack it in my Schiit Stack and run it for hours and its just fine…no real heat issues.

The volume knob attached to a nice Blue Velvet Alps is buttery smooth…easy to adjust. One of the first things I do with a new amp is look for hum and hiss at all volume levels with both high and low gains and a wide variety of impedance headphones.

For the most part the amp is very quiet. No audible hiss heard. But one thing I did notice at first was an audible RF noise in high gain at the 3pm to full volume pot position…no other Schiit amps I have exhibited this much of RF pickup or noise!

After a little cable swapping and re-routing the RF noise went totally away. What was it. One of by Blue Jeans interconnects I have had for years was the culprit. Only one of the cable pair was at fault…I will have to take a look at this cable later…it may be its only shield connected on one end and a simple reversal of the direction its connected may fix this RF pickup. So in the end the Asgard 3 here is pretty much dead silent. No internal transformer hum or mechanical transformer lamination noise.

One minor complaint I have is the missing ON/OFF light or led on the front panel that many used to complain about as being too bright…the now usual white led is on inside the unit on the pcb and you can see this thru the ventalation holes on top. But in my stack its not well “visable”…not a big deal sonically at all…just my personal I miss that dang light!! LOL

Like most all of Schiit amps in this smaller form factor, when you lift it up it feels solid and well built. Its a very simple discrete amp with no real frills, the volume knob, the gain select switch and internal I/O or addon adapter switch if you choose to purchase. Mine is the naked Asgard 3…I use the Schiit Bifrost 2 MB dac almost exclusively…its that good IMO.

One thing when I sent back my Magnius and Modius (another story)…I requested Schiit to send me the Asgard 3…and I said color doenst matter…they sent me a silver one! It was like an expectant father not know the sex of a child before birth!! When I opend the box and immediatley said " they sent me a silver one!!" like it really mattered…I wonder what I would have said if it was the “black” version??? Hmmm.

Power wise its stated this will drive most headphones out there…and even Amos from down under even tried his Susvaras on the amp and from his review at head-fi it drove them well!

So for my first listen I used Focal Clears and my Heddphones then onto HD600’s. All were able to be palyed at very loud levels with the HEDDs being the most difficult load on the amp. With 5 watts etc there is more than enough power to do the job.

With the HEDDs i could actually turn up the volume knob to 100 % on low gain to get them to “come Alive”…this was interesting to me…I dont know if the volume pot is logrithmic or not…on the Magni’s Schiit used log tapers and it helps get you out of the low potential channel “tracking” area of a pot.
I mainly used high gain with the HEDDS at approx 9-10 volume positions. Withe the Clears Low gain and around 9 to 11 oclock positions. The Clears are an easy load more so than the HEDDS. The Senn HD600 needs to be in the high gain position and about 10 oclock.

From the volume pot settings the Jot appears to have more power…ie lower postions on the pot for the same level. This may be due to the Asgard having a log pot? I will ask Schiit this.

So the amp has a lot of power and can drive most headphones, making the amp for $199 and excellent entry level amp that will last a long time…and its a 5 year warranty!! You might say but what about the Magnius…its another good choice if you “need or want” balanced capability…but the Magnius only has a 2 yr warranty…still great but…and the Asgard makes no bones about not having balanced outs…

How does it sound…Side by side the Schiit Jot, plug and unplug. level matched they are very much the same sounding signature to me…I had a hard time telling them apart! Using only SE of of course.

A lot of Jot owners state the Jot is a warmer or softer amp…and I agree there and the Asgard IMO is pretty much similar…its like a gentle high pass filter is being employed…just a little. This pairs very nicely with "bright " headphones…makes things very musical and not fatiguing at all…nothing like the THX sterile sound signature…I dont have any Grados here ATM but this would be a nice amp for them IMO.

The Focal Clears some state has a metallic sounding high end, this amp with the Clears doesnt exhibit this “trait” for me at all…so again maybe a good match for those that experience this?

There isnt much more to say about the Asgard 3 from here…for all its improvements. 3.5X more power than Asgard 2, lower heat due to the Class A and AB design and coupled with the Continuity design to eliminate crossover distortion, an new greatly improved power supply with a 48VA transformer (2x that of Asgard 2) and more AC filtering at a cost that is $50 lower than prior Asgards makes for a brilliant amp for anyone wanting to get into this crazy headphone “thing”…and if your “Really” cheap a B-stock can be had for even less!!!

Alex
:grinning:

a1.jpg
a2.jpg

Well, thanks for a reasonably concise, content-rich review!
(and pics, even...)

After the first gen Asgard, I went for a Gustard 10 which to my ears
was noticeably better. Couple of years later it self-destructed (like
the tape machine at the beginning of the old Mission Impossible).

I had some other usable amps, but I went with the (then) new
Asgard 2. I liked it, but it didn't reach the sonic bliss levels
of the Gustard.
But wait! The new Gustard (20) was out! $1000! Oh well.

Meantime, I'd gravitated to listening to my DAP, and hardly
used the Asgard 2.

For the past few months, I've been reading endless praises
of the Asgard 3. And last night, I went for it.

So, soon enough, to use one of my favorite expressions,
"I'll see what I think".

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #1,409 of 2,863
For the past few months, I've been reading endless praises
of the Asgard 3. And last night, I went for it.

So, soon enough, to use one of my favorite expressions,
"I'll see what I think".

I just ordered one too, but notice that the Asgard 3 web page shows "backordered, ships Oct 7". Hope yours has already shipped / will be sent soon. :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back