Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,368 of 2,863
Done. I'm sure it's just me, but I find it psychologically extremely difficult to spend over $100 on something I don't in fact need.
Isn't one of the core tenets of this hobby "unnecessary spending"? Maybe this is the wrong hobby for you :-D.

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,369 of 2,863
Isn't one of the core tenets of this hobby "unnecessary spending"? Maybe this is the wrong hobby for you :-D.

Yeah, I know, but sometimes I manage to create a good justification for why I "need" something, and it's harder to do the more expensive an item is. Anyway, I just received the notice that it's shipped, and I ordered the male-to-male RCAs to hook up my powered speakers to it. Anyone remember those old ketchup commercials with the song "anticipation"?

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,370 of 2,863
Done. I'm sure it's just me, but I find it psychologically extremely difficult to spend over $100 on something I don't in fact need.

Honestly in this hobby over $100 is almost necessary. People add zero(s) to the end of that without hesitation (not me).
Based on my experience with Schiit its high value for the dollar spent. Meaning speeding $100 or $200 with them goes a lot further than other manufacturers.
Personally I'm putting my sheckles away so I can get an Asgard 3 to compare to my Asgard 2. One gets the TT the other the DAC.

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #1,372 of 2,863
Yeah, I know, but sometimes I manage to create a good justification for why I "need" something, and it's harder to do the more expensive an item is. Anyway, I just received the notice that it's shipped, and I ordered the male-to-male RCAs to hook up my powered speakers to it. Anyone remember those old ketchup commercials with the song "anticipation"?

ha ha ha, I ordered mine on Sunday, and it’s been “stuck” in Honolulu for 3 days, driving me nuts! :)

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #1,373 of 2,863
I had same feeling not that long ago. It is interesting how perception of "something I dont need is expensive" can shift. considering you can afford it of course. I have more expensive gear than Asgard but I have no intention to let A3 go. great value amp and harder to get one in EU without vat and customs.

Right. There was a time when the thought of blowing more than $100 on headphones seemed unthinkable. Now I have multiple cans, each costing well above $200, and I consider them all essential. And there's no way in hell I'll ever go back.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,378 of 2,863

Thanks, now I’ve got that silly ketchup jingle in my head, try this one ...

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #1,379 of 2,863
I've been listening to a used Asgard 2 that I bought for a couple of weeks now and love it. I'm using it with a Modious that I use as an external DAC with an older Marantz CD5003.
Since I'm happy with the A2 is there any reason why I need to jump to the Asgard 3? Would I notice an improvement in the sound quality?
Thanks for your input!

Sep 5, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,380 of 2,863

Have been using my A3 since January of 2020 and really enjoy it. It pairs well with low, mid and high impedance headphones. It really sounds good with my Hifiman HE4XX & T50RP MK3 planars as well. Hope you enjoy your new A3!

I also have an Asgard 2 and a new Modius (both of which I like very much). IMHO the A3 and A2 have a similar sound, however, the A3 has a lot more flexibility in that it easily powers low, mid, and high impedance headphones. The A2 does best in the 32 ohm to 50 ohm range of headphones, where it really shines with inexpensive planar magnetic headphones like the HE4XX and T50RP MK3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back