Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,427 of 2,863
The Asgard 3 has more than double the power of the Asgard 2 so I would think they should drive them just fine.
Nice 👍

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #1,428 of 2,863
there's also Jotunheim, for double the cost of Asgard 3, that provides a bit more power (3W vs 2.5W into 50 ohms) ~ 0.8dB, but Jotunheim will require a balanced (4-pin XLR) cable for the Susvara and a balanced (XLR) source as well.

Note that using 3-wire TRS headphone cable with XLR adapter may damage the balanced amplifier.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #1,429 of 2,863
there's also Jotunheim, for double the cost of Asgard 3, that provides a bit more power (3W vs 2.5W into 50 ohms) ~ 0.8dB, but Jotunheim will require a balanced (4-pin XLR) cable for the Susvara and a balanced (XLR) source as well.

Note that using 3-wire TRS headphone cable with XLR adapter may damage the balanced amplifier.
Luckily the Susvara comes with stock cable 4 pin xlr.
I haven’t heard that all balance 2.5mm, 4.4mm and xlr all are all the sample so I can put 4.4mm to xlr 4 pin adapter and that should be fine right?

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #1,430 of 2,863

Would guess the Jotunheim is a great product.

That said, if someone gave me $399 to spend on Schiit amps, I'd buy an Asgard 3 and a Magnius and put them in two different rooms...wait, I actually did that! :wink:

Allows me more flexibility in listening locations and provides me with balanced connection/power in one location and a very high value, single-ended solution in another location.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #1,431 of 2,863
Would guess the Jotunheim is a great product.

That said, if someone gave me $399 to spend on Schiit amps, I'd buy an Asgard 3 and a Magnius and put them in two different rooms...wait, I actually did that! :wink:

Allows me more flexibility in listening locations and provides me with balanced connection/power in one location and a very high value, single-ended solution in another location.
What’s the main differences between the Asgard 3 and Magnius?

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #1,432 of 2,863
What’s the main differences between the Asgard 3 and Magnius?

Magnius can output balanced as well as single ended, and is op-amp based. Asgard3 is single ended only, and fully discrete (sporting the class A-“ish” Continuity topology).

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #1,433 of 2,863
Magnius can output balanced as well as single ended, and is op-amp based. Asgard3 is single ended only, and fully discrete (sporting the class A-“ish” Continuity topology).
So magnius is more powerful doesn’t run as hot and more flexible right?

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #1,434 of 2,863
So magnius is more powerful doesn’t run as hot and more flexible right?

Magnius can output 5W@32ohms (balanced) and 2W@32ohms (single-ended), while Asgard can output 3.5W@32ohms. So it would depend on your use-case; Magnius is more powerful in balanced, but Asgard can output more power than Magnius in single-ended.

If one needs even MOAR POWAH then the Lyr3 tube hybrid can push 6W@32ohms (albeit it, as Asgard, is single-ended only).

As for hotness (as in actual temperature that is), I would think the hottest would certainly be Lyr3, followed by Asgard and as the coolest Magnius.

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #1,435 of 2,863
Magnius can output 5W@32ohms (balanced) and 2W@32ohms (single-ended), while Asgard can output 3.5W@32ohms. So it would depend on your use-case; Magnius is more powerful in balanced, but Asgard can output more power than Magnius in single-ended.

If one needs even MOAR POWAH then the Lyr3 tube hybrid can push 6W@32ohms (albeit it, as Asgard, is single-ended only).

As for hotness (as in actual temperature that is), I would think the hottest would certainly be Lyr3, followed by Asgard and as the coolest Magnius.
Got it thanksss

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #1,436 of 2,863
For the Susvara, which is a 60 ohm (mid-range) impedance, the max power spec into 50 ohms is the figure to compare between Asgard 3, Jotunheim, and Magnius, ranging from 2.5 to 3.2W, which is only about 1dB difference.

@Green Golden Retriver
If the Susvara cable has a 4.4mm pentaconn on it, then a quality penataconn to 4-pin XLR adapter should work just fine. does Hifiman have a recommended adapter?
Are you feeding your existing amp from the analog outputs of a computer or laptop? The source needs to provide about 2Vrms otherwise max power and volume won't be reached by any of the above amplifiers, and in fact the A2 may also be limited if the source voltage is too low.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,438 of 2,863
@Green Golden Retriver
for the case of the A2 in high gain, the source will still need to provide about 1.3vrms for 1W out into 60 ohms.
What source are you using? some vintage (old-school) products used the European standard of ~700mV line outputs, so those devices will not allow full volume without an additional gain stage with Susvara.

(added)
Schiit seems to be designing their amplifiers (both headphone & speaker) to provide max power with about a 2 Vrms input.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #1,439 of 2,863
@Green Golden Retriver
for the case of the A2 in high gain, the source will still need to provide about 1.3vrms for 1W out into 60 ohms.
What source are you using? some vintage (old-school) products used the European standard of ~700mV line outputs, so those devices will not allow full volume without an additional gain stage with Susvara.

(added)
Schiit seems to be designing their amplifiers (both headphone & speaker) to provide max power with about a 2 Vrms input.
I pair it with the modi connected to my pc.

thanks for your explanation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back