Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #1,456 of 2,863
Beside more power and better upgrade capability of the of the Asgard 3 compared to Asgard 2. Off of the SE output does Asgard 3 sound better than the Asgard 2 at equal volume and same source + songs?
don't know yet, my Asgard 3 was ordered and in transit currently. i will post here after I have had a few days with it, unless the difference between it and Asgard 2 is night and day.

Oct 8, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #1,457 of 2,863
don't know yet, my Asgard 3 was ordered and in transit currently. i will post here after I have had a few days with it, unless the difference between it and Asgard 2 is night and day.
Ok thanks will wait for your post :)

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #1,458 of 2,863
OP has a Fulla 2 now, was asking about potential upgrade to Asgard 3, but is in Europe???, so shipping back and forth under 15 day trial might be a bit expensive.
True in itself, but some offers pop up on eBay from time to time. It's basically the only way to way to get Schiit gear at reasonable prices over here. I saw the Asgard 3 with 4490 module for 300€ some time ago.

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,460 of 2,863

I will also be waiting for you post as others are. As you seem pretty educated on the "audio subject", will be curious of your thoughts about the sound, soundstage, tone, etc, and especially your thoughts on the high/lo gain setting, as you asked me about earlier in this post. Don't let us down now,lol!!!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #1,461 of 2,863
I looked into Asgard 3 because, to my ears, the Asgard 2 / Bifrost OG MB stack's sound always had a haze to it (and A3 is much cheaper than Bifrost 2 in terms of changing something out).

Comparing the AC power draw at idle (using Kill-a-watt P3 meter) A3 draws less power 12.1W / 15.6VA vs A2 at 22.8W / 28.8VA.

Hardware Chain: Old Sony DVD player, coaxial S/PDIF (generic RCA RG-59 coax cable) to Bifrost OG Multibit DAC, planar headphones ~16 ohms ~92 dB/mW efficiency.

A3 has less veiling of the mids compared to A2 (Dvorak's 9th Symphony). Instrument types (strings vs brass vs woodwinds, etc) are more clearly defined with A3, and position of the players (left vs right) is much better defined-- with A2 the soundstage was small and a bit flat sounding. A3 Highs are very fast but so far seem natural, and there is a warmth to the upper bass / lower mids that wasn't as noticeable with A2.

Using hi-gain setting for initial testing. So far, the A3 sounds very good. Unbelievable at the $199 price point.

Will update in a week or two after more auditioning with other types of music (vocals, jazz at the pawnshop, etc.)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,462 of 2,863
Its not hard to imagine the A3 sounding better with certain music you still have class A amp up to 500mw the depending on the ohms up to 3 watts so plenty of headroom without distorting.

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,463 of 2,863
This question might have been asked and answered but here it goes. I'm thinking about retiring my Asgard 2 and buying an Asgard 3.
I've owned the Modi multibit before and liked it and I like the Modius thst I'm currently using. If I buy the Asgard 3 with the multibit card can I still use my Modius by plugging in the Modius coax cable? Will it override the multibit card? I appreciate your help!

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #1,464 of 2,863
This question might have been asked and answered but here it goes. I'm thinking about retiring my Asgard 2 and buying an Asgard 3.
I've owned the Modi multibit before and liked it and I like the Modius thst I'm currently using. If I buy the Asgard 3 with the multibit card can I still use my Modius by plugging in the Modius coax cable? Will it override the multibit card? I appreciate your help!
If you select the analog input on the Asgard 3, it will be fed by anything connected to it (the Modius, in your case).

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #1,465 of 2,863

Yes, Modius can connect via 2x RCA analog cables to Asgard 3's analog input.

Also, both DAC cards, the 4490 and the Multibit (that fit inside Asgard 3) only have a single input, USB. So if your source connects to the DAC via optical (toslink) or coaxial s/pdif (digital RCA) then you will still need to use an external DAC, like Modius.

q: How many digital sources do you have?

as @Clemmaster said, a front panel switch on A3 selects between the internal card and the analog RCA inputs on the back.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,466 of 2,863
If you select the analog input on the Asgard 3, it will be fed by anything connected to it (the Modius, in your case).
Ok, that makes sense. I use the Modius as an external DAC on my older CD player. So for Modius just connect RCA plugs to Asgard 3 from the Modius. For multibit card use in A3 go coax from the CD deck to the A3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back