Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,471 of 2,863
@ssmith3046 you might consider buying the A3 as just an amp first and using it with your Modius.

Since you are using a CD player as source (CD 'digital out' with single coax RG-59 RCA cable to DAC input) and the Multibit Card can only accept USB like @jnak00 says, the Multibit Card won't work in this setup. You would need Modi Multibit or Bifrost 2 or buy a used Bifrost OG Multibit.

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #1,472 of 2,863
@ssmith3046 you might consider buying the A3 as just an amp first and using it with your Modius.

Since you are using a CD player as source (CD 'digital out' with single coax RG-59 RCA cable to DAC input) and the Multibit Card can only accept USB like @jnak00 says, the Multibit Card won't work in this setup. You would need Modi Multibit or Bifrost 2 or buy a used Bifrost OG Multibit.
Yes, I do believe the A3 amp is the best way to go for my setup. I love the Modius but I did love the Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit that used own too. Comparing the Modius delta sigma and multibit DACs is apples to oranges. Instead of buying another Modi multibit I'll just wait and buy a Bifrost 2 next month and pair it up with the Asgard 3 that I'm going to order next week.
The Asgard 2 is terrific headphone amp that I've thoroughly enjoyed.
Another thought is holding off on the A3 and trying the Bifrost 2 with my A2. That'd be $200 towards the Bifrost 2. Decisions, decisions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,473 of 2,863
If I were in your shoes, I would try an A3 first-- much cheaper than Bifrost 2, and just came back in stock (for now). Jason has also said that A3 pricing is likely to increase (almost a certainty with supply chain issues related to COVID-19).

On initial listening, I heard a big difference between Asgard 2 and 3, with A3 providing much much better soundstage, imaging, definition, in addition to added warmth in upper bass / lower midrange. Saved me $$ from wanting to replace my bifrost OG with Bifrost 2 (for now).

YMMV depending on your headphones, listening volume, and your ears.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,474 of 2,863
If I were in your shoes, I would try an A3 first-- much cheaper than Bifrost 2, and just came back in stock (for now). Jason has also said that A3 pricing is likely to increase (almost a certainty with supply chain issues related to COVID-19). On initial listening, I found a big difference between Asgard 2 and 3, with A3 providing much better soundstage, imaging, definition, in addition to added warmth in upper bass / lower midrange.

YMMV depending on your headphones, listening volume, and your ears.
I appreciate that suggestion. My main headphone is a pair of Sennheisr HD650's. I think that I'll follow your advice then and go with Asgard 3, especially if a price increases might be on the horizon. I've owned a Modi 3, Bifrost 4490, Modi multibit, and Bifrost multibit and after using the Modius for several months I find that it has become a favorite. So the pairing of the A3 with the Modius seems like the thing to do for now. Thank you for your input, I really do appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #1,475 of 2,863
I appreciate that suggestion. My main headphone is a pair of Sennheisr HD650's. I think that I'll follow your advice then and go with Asgard 3, especially if a price increases might be on the horizon. I've owned a Modi 3, Bifrost 4490, Modi multibit, and Bifrost multibit and after using the Modius for several months I find that it has become a favorite. So the pairing of the A3 with the Modius seems like the thing to do for now. Thank you for your input, I really do appreciate it
If you like your 650s, the Asgard 3 will complement it beautifully. I have the 6XX and I thought the Asgard 3, with its slightly warm tuning, gave the 6XX more bass without intruding into the mid-range. If anything, the mids are slightly pushed back. Not enough to fundamentally change the 6XX's midrange focus but just enough to not sound as "shouty" as before on certain tracks. The treble is improved a bit. More detailed without making the 6XX bright.

All the above is compared to my Vali 2 (my only other desktop headphone amp), so take this with a grain of salt. If you're coming from a solid state amp to Asgard 3, my impressions above will not be accurate.

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #1,476 of 2,863
Can someone remind me which version of Schiit's USB the multibit card uses? Gen5? Unison? Neither?

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #1,477 of 2,863
Can someone remind me which version of Schiit's USB the multibit card uses? Gen5? Unison? Neither?
Neither, unfortunately. I believe Jason said unison can fit they just haven't got there yet. Use the cards if you need one sleek unit but IMHO Asgard 3 stacks nicely with Modius or Bifrost 2 :wink:

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,479 of 2,863
Neither, unfortunately. I believe Jason said unison can fit they just haven't got there yet. Use the cards if you need one sleek unit but IMHO Asgard 3 stacks nicely with Modius or Bifrost 2 :wink:
Gen 3 or something like that, but does not have the electromagnetic isolation. For that, you need Bifrost (both OG & BF2) / Gungnir / Yggdrasil DACs with Gen 5 or Unison.
Thanks. I mean, it sounds great even with what it has, I was just curious. The alternatives don't fit into the space I have.

Some day I'll have a bake-off between my Bifrost Uber and the A3/MB....

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,480 of 2,863
Just to add about the A3's sound/tone etc. After adding to my system-Schiit Asgard3, HiFiMAN HE400i w/Brainwavz lambskin pads and AudioQuest Nightbiird One Cable, Marantz UD8004 universal player w/Van Den Hul D-102 for connect to Asgard3, all plugged into a Furman PL8 power conditioner. The bass shy, bright sounding 400i's became much more listenable. They gained a tight punchy bass with more authority, a warmer more pronounced midrange, the highs calmed down considerably, soundstage became much deeper and wider, imaging became more pronounced-like a complete over haul-if you will. Turned a decent $250 headphone very listenable. Prior to Asgard3 was using a $70 HiFiMAN EF-3 tube amp in system. All this-to my ear-of course???

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #1,481 of 2,863
Just to add about the A3's sound/tone etc. After adding to my system-Schiit Asgard3, HiFiMAN HE400i w/Brainwavz lambskin pads and AudioQuest Nightbiird One Cable, Marantz UD8004 universal player w/Van Den Hul D-102 for connect to Asgard3, all plugged into a Furman PL8 power conditioner. The bass shy, bright sounding 400i's became much more listenable. They gained a tight punchy bass with more authority, a warmer more pronounced midrange, the highs calmed down considerably, soundstage became much deeper and wider, imaging became more pronounced-like a complete over haul-if you will. Turned a decent $250 headphone very listenable. Prior to Asgard3 was using a $70 HiFiMAN EF-3 tube amp in system. All this-to my ear-of course???
Sounds like the Asgard 3's ability to match impedance to your cans is doing it's job, and you're not losing to a mismatch.

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #1,483 of 2,863
I have the Asgard 3 and enjoy it very much. It’s a discrete design. But, when I look at the circuit board it looks like their are a few Opamps on there. Does anyone know what these other chips are that look like Opamps? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back