Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #76 of 2,857
Nice short review. I have a lot of issues with the use of 'neutral' etc, but I get the drift.

It sounds more like the Asgard excels in micro-detail, and micro-detail can come from a couple different possibilities: 1) Lower noise floor - usually a result of any improved power supply, for instance. 2) Distortion (ironically), for instance a certain amount of 3rd harmonic distortion can be 'ruthlessly revealing'. These are just two examples.

I'm guessing the Asgard has reduced distortion/noise in some capacity. There was mention of a dual stage PS filter which may drive up cost after the initial $199, and what you're hearing may be the benefit of that.
One thing I can pretty confidently say about the Asgard 3 is that if you are hearing any kind of obvious distortions, either the distortions are on the recording itself or your headphones are being overdriven by the amp.

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #77 of 2,857
One thing I can pretty confidently say about the Asgard 3 is that if you are hearing any kind of obvious distortions, either the distortions are on the recording itself or your headphones are being overdriven by the amp.

That's not what I meant regarding distortion, but it's neither here nor there and I don't want to derail the thread.

I do see Asgard 3 is listed as having lower SNR and Crosstalk than either the Jotunheim or Lyr 2, which combined with the typical benefits of Class A, would support your observations.

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #78 of 2,857
That's not what I meant regarding distortion, but it's neither here nor there and I don't want to derail the thread.

I do see Asgard 3 is listed as having lower SNR and Crosstalk than either the Jotunheim or Lyr 2, which combined with the typical benefits of Class A, would support your observations.
Ah, my mistake.

I'm not too big of a 'numbers' guy. I just call 'em like I hear 'em. :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #79 of 2,857
Keep using the Modi 2 for since you already have it and the cables, and since the Asgard 3 is single ended anyway. In January, you should then be able to buy a Unison based card if you so choose, for the same additional cost (except for shipping) if you're willing/able to install it yourself. USB Gen 2 is a real disadvantage for the cards and small DACs.
Ordered mine no DAC after looking into the Unison that you were talking about, can't wait for the new amp and can't wait to upgrade it. :)

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #80 of 2,857
Ordered mine no DAC after looking into the Unison that you were talking about, can't wait for the new amp and can't wait to upgrade it. :)

Schiit said that the unison DAC modules won't be available for quite some time. The unison stand alone DAC is available in the Bifrost 2 now and will be available by the end of the year in their other models (not sure about Modi). I think I remember Jason saying the unison cards to update might not be available for another year or so.

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #81 of 2,857
Just posted a short review of the Asgard 3 on Page 1 of this thread. :ksc75smile:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-asgard-3-impressions-thread.914012/#post-15153730

Thanks for the review - I agree that the Asgard does a pretty good job of not coloring the sound.

It seems to pair well with the Focal Clear as the Clear also doesn't color the sound much, maybe a touch of brightness.

Nice thing about having a neutrals sounding combo is that it sounds pretty good with everything.

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #82 of 2,857
Schiit said that the unison DAC modules won't be available for quite some time. The unison stand alone DAC is available in the Bifrost 2 now and will be available by the end of the year in their other models (not sure about Modi). I think I remember Jason saying the unison cards to update might not be available for another year or so.
Hm, that is a good point. Sounds like Unison cards are at least a year away. Bummer!

Sep 3, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #83 of 2,857

In the Schiit Happened thread Jason said that Unison cards will be available for all other upgradeable DACs (so not Modi) in January.

This is due to Unison only supporting UAC2, and Microsoft will drop support for Windows 7 (that does not) in January.

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #85 of 2,857
someone knows if the multibit dac card is compatible with android? thank you

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #87 of 2,857
First impressions is smooth, articulate, and clean with my T1.2’s.

BA3841F0-8C86-480C-861B-D8A1A493C30C.jpeg

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #88 of 2,857
My early impressions with DIY Soekris DAC feeding HD6XXs: Definitely a nice low noise floor/black background. You can hear greater reverb trails in songs e.g. Hotel California (Tidal Master). Strong dynamics. Vocals are gripping, you can hear lips parting and breaths. Kind of smooth, but not really. There's a touch of 'solid state' to what I hear so far - a little bit of hardness. As Xero1 said it rides a fine line. Some of this is mitigated by using low gain in my case, with volume cranked all the way, so I might need to do some gain adjusment with the Soekris for best results.

Only hesitation is there is what I gather to be some of the Schiit 'house sound' i.e. slight forward/peakiness in mids. This is only my second Schiit purchase. Previous was a Modi Multibit which also had a similar presentation. Not quite my preference. Maybe the Asgard will mellow a bit in that regard. For people who like that though, this is an awesome sounding amp so far...

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #89 of 2,857
My early impressions with DIY Soekris DAC feeding HD6XXs: Definitely a nice low noise floor/black background. You can hear greater reverb trails in songs e.g. Hotel California (Tidal Master). Strong dynamics. Vocals are gripping, you can hear lips parting and breaths. Kind of smooth, but not really. There's a touch of 'solid state' to what I hear so far - a little bit of hardness. As Xero1 said it rides a fine line. Some of this is mitigated by using low gain in my case, with volume cranked all the way, so I might need to do some gain adjusment with the Soekris for best results.

Only hesitation is there is what I gather to be some of the Schiit 'house sound' i.e. slight forward/peakiness in mids. This is only my second Schiit purchase. Previous was a Modi Multibit which also had a similar presentation. Not quite my preference. Maybe the Asgard will mellow a bit in that regard. For people who like that though, this is an awesome sounding amp so far...

Honestly I found many Schiit amps including the Magni 3 to have an almost raspy somewhat abrasive sound to them. I immediately realized the Asgard 3 doesn't have this issue. The Lyr 3 and so far the Asgard 3 are the only Schiit amps i've heard I truly like the treble on. The Lyr 2, Valhalla 2, and the Magni's were all slightly abrasive to my ears, not the case with the Asgard 3 or the Lyr 3. I haven't heard the higher end Schiit amps such as the Mjolnir 1/2 and the Ragnarok 1/2. Nor have I heard the Jot.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #90 of 2,857
Honestly I found many Schiit amps including the Magni 3 to have an almost raspy somewhat abrasive sound to them. I immediately realized the Asgard 3 doesn't have this issue. The Lyr 3 and so far the Asgard 3 are the only Schiit amps i've heard I truly like the treble on. The Lyr 2, Valhalla 2, and the Magni's were all slightly abrasive to my ears, not the case with the Asgard 3 or the Lyr 3. I haven't heard the higher end Schiit amps such as the Mjolnir 1/2 and the Ragnarok 1/2. Nor have I heard the Jot.

The Asgard is right on the edge of that for me. Just a wee bit raspy and forward for my tastes. But otherwise excellent. I'm sure most people will love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back