Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #106 of 2,842
I really like my Asgard 3 so far. It lacks a little in female vocals, Asgard 2 has better female vocals, it reaches the highs better without being 'nails on chalkboard', but Asgard 3 doesn't even attempt it, just dulls them slightly. Not sure if I will refund or not yet. The knob is quite cheap on the Asgard 3 too. Asgard 2 knob feels very very high end, very smooth rotation on it and good accurate gain in sound too. Asgard 3 knob you have to turn it a full inch before you notice any increase actual sound, bit annoying. (My headphones are the HD58X, so 150ohms... not that hard to drive...)

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #107 of 2,842
I received my Asgard 3 earlier today and have been listening to my 'phones pretty much for a few hours and so far so good. What an amp! Details are crisp and the highs aren't too bright for my liking. My Valhalla 2 is definitely warmer in the bass region, which makes for more relaxed listening sessions, but the Asgard 3 brings a level of fun in music I haven't felt in quite some time. When you have a variety of headphones of different impedances, it's great that the Asgard 3 can drive them with confidence. I'm definitely keeping this amp for my desktop use, and I'll setup the Valhalla 2 in my living room.

Sep 5, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #108 of 2,842
I really like my Asgard 3 so far. It lacks a little in female vocals, Asgard 2 has better female vocals, it reaches the highs better without being 'nails on chalkboard', but Asgard 3 doesn't even attempt it, just dulls them slightly. Not sure if I will refund or not yet. The knob is quite cheap on the Asgard 3 too. Asgard 2 knob feels very very high end, very smooth rotation on it and good accurate gain in sound too. Asgard 3 knob you have to turn it a full inch before you notice any increase actual sound, bit annoying. (My headphones are the HD58X, so 150ohms... not that hard to drive...)

Weird, I don't get the impression at all that the volume knob is cheap. I think it feels just as nice as the Asgard 2.

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #109 of 2,842
Weird, I don't get the impression at all that the volume knob is cheap. I think it feels just as nice as the Asgard 2.

Not cheap in it's smoothness, just cheap in it's looks. It's dull, where as the Asgard 2 knob is very shiny. Oddly enough that is exactly how I descrive Asgard 3 sound signature too, it's nice, but it's dull. Very neutral to the point of it feeling like there is almost a veil over the music.

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #110 of 2,842
Not cheap in it's smoothness, just cheap in it's looks. It's dull, where as the Asgard 2 knob is very shiny. Oddly enough that is exactly how I descrive Asgard 3 sound signature too, it's nice, but it's dull. Very neutral to the point of it feeling like there is almost a veil over the music.

And yet someone else said they are "right up to the line of" ruthlessly revealing.

In fact that almost sounds like a description of the HD650. The Asgard 3 is the HD650 of head amps.

Ain't nuthin' wrong with that!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #111 of 2,842
And yet someone else said they are ruthlessly revealing.

In fact that almost sounds like a description of the HD650. The Asgard 3 is the HD650 of head amps.

Nothing wrong with it indeed, people enjoy different sound signatures. I just prefer the Asgard 2, better female vocals, sound-stage, and the energy is more fun overall. Though I am still selling my Asgard 2 eventually in the coming weeks, alongside refunding the Asgard 3.

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #112 of 2,842
Nothing wrong with it indeed, people enjoy different sound signatures. I just prefer the Asgard 2, better female vocals, sound-stage, and the energy is more fun overall.

Yeah, I have a Project Sunrise III that excels in those attributes. Same with my HD599s. The Asgard I intend to keep as an excellent affordable reference head amp along with the HD6XX/650s.

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #114 of 2,842
And yet someone else said they are ruthlessly revealing.

I'm afraid you misremembered what I said.
In my mini-review of the Asgard 3, I compared it to the Jotenheim, and I said that the Jotenheim sounded 'ruthlessly revealing' to me.
To my ears, the Asgard 3 comes right up to the line of 'ruthlessly revealing' territory but does not cross over into it, whereas amps like the Jotenheim and the THX AAA 789 are squarely in the 'ruthlessly revealing' category.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #115 of 2,842

I completely and 100% disagree that the Asgard 3 makes anything sound "veiled". To me it's the complete opposite, I actually find the Asgard 3 bright sounding and detailed. This is coming from someone who's used the Asgard 2 almost exclusively for the past 2+ years. In my opinion the A2 is warmer and less revealing then the A3 by a noticable margin.

As for the volume knob, I like the A3 version, but I guess aesthetics are subjective.

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #116 of 2,842
I completely and 100% disagree that the Asgard 3 makes anything sound "veiled". To me it's the complete opposite, I actually find the Asgard 3 bright sounding and detailed. This is coming from someone who's used the Asgard 2 almost exclusively for the past 2+ years. In my opinion the A2 is warmer and less revealing then the A3 by a noticable margin.
Actually, I could see someone happily owning both of them.
When they wanted to listen to an amp with a little rose-colored tint (that can also double as a small space heater), they turn on the Asgard 2.
When they want to hear deep into the recording or maybe listen for subtle differences between different masterings of their favorite recordings, the Asgard 3 would be perfect.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #119 of 2,842
I'm afraid you misremembered what I said.
In my mini-review of the Asgard 3, I compared it to the Jotenheim, and I said that the Jotenheim sounded 'ruthlessly revealing' to me.
To my ears, the Asgard 3 comes right up to the line of 'ruthlessly revealing' territory but does not cross over into it, whereas amps like the Jotenheim and the THX AAA 789 are squarely in the 'ruthlessly revealing' category.

Apparently, I like "ruthlessly revealing." Who knew?

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #120 of 2,842
Apparently, I like "ruthlessly revealing." Who knew?

Actually, a bright-ish sounding amp can pair very well with a dark- ish sounding headphone.

It’s all about finding what sounds good to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back