Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #272 of 2,862
I just ordered mine in black with the line level card.

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #273 of 2,862
Actually, they are now both the same price ($250). But you will still need a decent RCA cable (Audioquest Tower or Evergreen are really good for the money) for the Modi.
Personally, I love the versatility of having the 3 inputs on my Modi Multibit.
I'm not that good at higher math, but i've got arithmetic down. 450 for Asgard plus Modi MB, 400 for Asgard with MB card. Seems like 50 more to me.

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #274 of 2,862
I'm not that good at higher math, but i've got arithmetic down. 450 for Asgard plus Modi MB, 400 for Asgard with MB card. Seems like 50 more to me.
sheepish_aladdin.gif

You sir, are correct.

I was looking at the price for the individual card, not the price of buying the Asgard 3 with the card.

My bad. :ksc75smile:

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #275 of 2,862
Looks like I’ll have some thinking to do. Either save money and precious desk real estate, or get uncompromising sound quality with the Modi Multibit.

I’m using my desktop PC as the source. Can that work with COAX? I thought USB was necessary for Windows to recognize the Schiit as an audio device.

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #276 of 2,862
Looks like I’ll have some thinking to do. Either save money and precious desk real estate, or get uncompromising sound quality with the Modi Multibit.

I’m using my desktop PC as the source. Can that work with COAX?
Only if your PC has a soundcard with SPDIF coax output. If it does, you can use the coax input of a Modi Multibit.

Sep 17, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #277 of 2,862

I’m using my desktop PC as the source. Can that work with COAX? I thought USB was necessary for Windows to recognize the Schiit as an audio device.
That is the beauty of the Modi, it works with USB as well. The Eitr or similar ddc would be necessary to convert usb to coax. If you only ever need to use usb, ( never plan on using with a tv, game console, cd player, etc.) The flexibility and potential small increase in sq of the Modi might not be worth the extra $, box, and cables. Only you can decide that.

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #278 of 2,862
Hey guys.

I just wanted to give a head's up to anyone who's considering getting the Analog Card (aka RCA input card) for their Asgard 3 (or Jot or Lyr 3).

As of right now, I'm sorry to say that I don't think it's quite really for prime time yet.

There are some issues with the way the card fits on the main board of the amp and how close the top RCA jack is to the chassis.

I'll be sending what I've discovered over to Schiit and I'll let you guys know what comes of it.

But for now, I honestly can't recommend getting the Analog Card for your amp as it currently is designed. :poop::tired_face:

Sep 17, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #279 of 2,862

Haven't heard the Asgard 3, nor the internal multibit module.

However, I can say that the Modi 3 into the Jotunheim sounds better to me vs. the internal delta sigma card and the Modi multibit sounds even better. I'm a big fan of the Eitr/coax as well and Eitr > Modi 3 > Jotunheim is a very sizable improvement over the internal delta sigma card (less glare, more bass definition, quieter background). I think it's worth the extra $50 to get the dedicated external DAC both in terms of future flexibility and sound quality.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #280 of 2,862
Hey guys.

I just wanted to give a head's up to anyone who's considering getting the Analog Card (aka RCA input card) for their Asgard 3 (or Jot or Lyr 3).

As of right now, I'm sorry to say that I don't think it's quite really for prime time yet.

There are some issues with the way the card fits on the main board of the amp and how close the top RCA jack is to the chassis.

I'll be sending what I've discovered over to Schiit and I'll let you guys know what comes of it.

But for now, I honestly can't recommend getting the Analog Card for your amp as it currently is designed. :poop::tired_face:

I should have mine by the weekend, Monday latest. I just bought the Asgard3 with Line card. I will report in on how it fits and functions.

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #281 of 2,862
I should have mine by the weekend, Monday latest. I just bought the Asgard3 with Line card. I will report in on how it fits and functions.
PM me if you have any questions or run into any problems.

Mine was a PITA to install. :persevere:

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #282 of 2,862
PM me if you have any questions or run into any problems.

Mine was a PITA to install. :persevere:
Will do. I have worked on rebuilding electronics and amps for about 30 years and computers too. We will see.

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #283 of 2,862

You'll hear absolutely no difference between the multibit card in the asgard and the modi multibit.

The only reason to buy the modi multibit separately is for the inputs if you need them.

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #285 of 2,862
You'll hear absolutely no difference between the multibit card in the asgard and the modi multibit.

The only reason to buy the modi multibit separately is for the inputs if you need them.

Ah, the certainty of youth. I wish I knew in advance what another's experience would be. I could make some hay with that knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back