1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Aug 28, 2019.
First

Back
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Next

Last
  1. Rattle
    If it was me I'd get a modi multibit (probably my best spent $249 ever) and get an additional input card for Asgard 3.

Rensek likes this.
  2. Hofy
    I just ordered mine in black with the line level card.

3. senorx12562
    I'm not that good at higher math, but i've got arithmetic down. 450 for Asgard plus Modi MB, 400 for Asgard with MB card. Seems like 50 more to me.

Rensek likes this.
  4. XERO1
    sheepish_aladdin.gif

You sir, are correct.

I was looking at the price for the individual card, not the price of buying the Asgard 3 with the card.

My bad. :ksc75smile:

Rensek, senorx12562 and rascalion like this.
  5. ev666il
    Looks like I’ll have some thinking to do. Either save money and precious desk real estate, or get uncompromising sound quality with the Modi Multibit.

I’m using my desktop PC as the source. Can that work with COAX? I thought USB was necessary for Windows to recognize the Schiit as an audio device.

6. rkw
    Only if your PC has a soundcard with SPDIF coax output. If it does, you can use the coax input of a Modi Multibit.

7. senorx12562
    That is the beauty of the Modi, it works with USB as well. The Eitr or similar ddc would be necessary to convert usb to coax. If you only ever need to use usb, ( never plan on using with a tv, game console, cd player, etc.) The flexibility and potential small increase in sq of the Modi might not be worth the extra $, box, and cables. Only you can decide that.

8. XERO1
    Hey guys.

I just wanted to give a head's up to anyone who's considering getting the Analog Card (aka RCA input card) for their Asgard 3 (or Jot or Lyr 3).

As of right now, I'm sorry to say that I don't think it's quite really for prime time yet.

There are some issues with the way the card fits on the main board of the amp and how close the top RCA jack is to the chassis.

I'll be sending what I've discovered over to Schiit and I'll let you guys know what comes of it.

But for now, I honestly can't recommend getting the Analog Card for your amp as it currently is designed. :poop::tired_face:

9. tcellguy
    Haven't heard the Asgard 3, nor the internal multibit module.

However, I can say that the Modi 3 into the Jotunheim sounds better to me vs. the internal delta sigma card and the Modi multibit sounds even better. I'm a big fan of the Eitr/coax as well and Eitr > Modi 3 > Jotunheim is a very sizable improvement over the internal delta sigma card (less glare, more bass definition, quieter background). I think it's worth the extra $50 to get the dedicated external DAC both in terms of future flexibility and sound quality.

10. Hofy
    I should have mine by the weekend, Monday latest. I just bought the Asgard3 with Line card. I will report in on how it fits and functions.

11. XERO1
    PM me if you have any questions or run into any problems.

Mine was a PITA to install. :persevere:

12. Hofy
    Will do. I have worked on rebuilding electronics and amps for about 30 years and computers too. We will see.

13. Mani ATH 87
    You'll hear absolutely no difference between the multibit card in the asgard and the modi multibit.

The only reason to buy the modi multibit separately is for the inputs if you need them.

14. Baten
    a bold statement considering the internal board looks completely different from the modi MB one

15. senorx12562
    Ah, the certainty of youth. I wish I knew in advance what another's experience would be. I could make some hay with that knowledge.

Rensek likes this.
First

Back
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Next

Last