Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #301 of 2,857
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere.

How do you switch between the headphone output and the pre amp output? Does one of the physical switches handle that or does it switch between them automatically depending on whether or not something is plugged into the headphone jack?

There is no physical switch. Headphones being plugged in control the function of the pre-outs. If headphones are plugged in, pre-outs are off. Headphones not plugged in, pre-outs on. So unplug headphones to listen to speakers. :)

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #302 of 2,857
There is no physical switch. Headphones being plugged in control the function of the pre-outs. If headphones are plugged in, pre-outs are off. Headphones not plugged in, pre-outs on. So unplug headphones to listen to speakers. :)

Thanks for the info. I don't know how much anyone cares, but I personally much prefer it being controlled by a switch, so I don't have to abuse the poor headphone jack/connector. It makes life a tiny bit easier imo.

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #303 of 2,857
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere.

How do you switch between the headphone output and the pre amp output? Does one of the physical switches handle that or does it switch between them automatically depending on whether or not something is plugged into the headphone jack?

Automatic. When nothing is plugged into the headphone jack then pre outs are on. When headphones are plugged in, the pre outs are off.

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #305 of 2,857
Distortion and noise Floor -> sounds different yeah

I'm on board that differences are a little overstated and often subtle but these multibit cards are trying to sound different. I don't personally like modi MB much prefer modi3. And if internal card sounds worse than standalone modi MB..... hard pass from me.

Actually multibit (and other “traditinal” R2R ladder DACS) are the only ones that DO sound different to me.

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #306 of 2,857
That’s not relevant.
And, no, I don’t believe, I know.

In a few months/years, when funds allow, you’ll take the plunge and figure it out for yourself.

It's interesting that you seem to think I couldn't afford any piece of audio gear I want, now. I don't need to wait to "figure it out". But thanks for the straight up assumption about me.

Enjoy your power conditioner. :beyersmile:

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #308 of 2,857
Dude, how much you like your Asgard 3 MB + Focal Clear?. Did it match well those headphones? :)

I like the combo, and think it works well together. The Clear and the Asgard 3 are both pretty neutral presentation with a touch of brightness. For me they play well together, I don't like a really bright sound so this combo is just enough extra brightness to give you nice detail resolution without sounding sibilant or fatiguing. That's my experience so far with this setup.

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #309 of 2,857
Pulled the trigger on a black Asgard 3 with Multibit module form the European dealer.

I decided not to invest more cash on the Modi Multibit vs the module since I don't need the extra inputs, I want the extra convenience of an all-in-one solution, and I'm too anal on aesthetics to go for a DAC/Amp combo that isn't color matched.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #310 of 2,857
Hey guys.

I just wanted to give a head's up to anyone who's considering getting the Analog Card (aka RCA input card) for their Asgard 3 (or Jot or Lyr 3).

As of right now, I'm sorry to say that I don't think it's quite really for prime time yet.

There are some issues with the way the card fits on the main board of the amp and how close the top RCA jack is to the chassis.

I'll be sending what I've discovered over to Schiit and I'll let you guys know what comes of it.

But for now, I honestly can't recommend getting the Analog Card for your amp as it currently is designed. :poop::tired_face:

The analog card is no longer on Schiit's website.

Mine just showed up today, so we'll see how the install goes.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #311 of 2,857
Pulled the trigger on a black Asgard 3 with Multibit module form the European dealer.

I decided not to invest more cash on the Modi Multibit vs the module since I don't need the extra inputs, I want the extra convenience of an all-in-one solution, and I'm too anal on aesthetics to go for a DAC/Amp combo that isn't color matched.

I'm the same. The only way I'd order without a built in dac would be if I could afford the new Bifrost 2 in black as well, with the unison USB module. But the price...damn.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #313 of 2,857
I’m really liking the Asgard 3 in black in my main system. For dacs I’m using a denafrips ares 2, bought before I saw the bifrost 2. Loving the Asgard with focal clear headphones. It’s a really nice match.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #314 of 2,857
. Although I'd love to try a Focal Utopia on a Blue Hawaii once just for the sake of getting to know if no money boundaries really bring you the ultimate punch (which I doubt).

Depends what you mean by punch. If you’re talking the high voltage kind, I think it probably would deliver quite a good one.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #315 of 2,857
Got my analog card installed. It was not as straight-forward as I expected, but still not terribly difficult. The top RCA jack does seem to be a little close to the edge, and the collar on the male RCA interconnect does appear to touch the chassis there. But it doesn't seem to affect the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back