Save the date: a Sennheiser CES debut
Jan 5, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #46 of 307
Sennheiser will announce that they will finally stop subsidizing the U.S. market (low prices, frequent sales, marketing events) on the back of EU consumers (pretty much zero sales, higher prices in EU for EU-manufactured products).
You think that's bad, here in the U.S. they do that with life-saving drugs-- charging ridiculous prices. They charge their own countrymen here in the States with many mulitiples of prices they charge to other countries. They haven't allowed our Federal Gov't to negotiate with domestic drug companies the best prices because the drug company lobby have polticians in their pocket. People here go bankrupt from medical costs every day here. It's inhumane. Can you even imagine European countries doing that to their own citizens? So, I feel your pain.....sort of.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #50 of 307
Guessing wireless & somehow "AI Powered" with "customized spatial audio" sort of deal, but remain ever hopeful for an over-ear HD25 upgrade or an HD250 re-release :beers:

... but given how different the HD800 and HD820 are tuned it could be quite a different beast to the 600 series, for better or worse.

Has everyone memory-holed the 630vb already :grimacing:
(albiet probably closer to hd25 upgrade than a 600 series closed back, does have nice detail)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #53 of 307
HD8000, HD660V3, HE1 but affordable. I'm out of guesses.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #55 of 307
Obviously HD800 successor.

Don't come with another pointless noise cancelling TWS please. They don't excite anyone anymore.

15 years... give us something!
The truth is that audio companies primarily sustain themselves through the sales of hundreds, if not thousands, of TWS earbuds with ANC, USB dongles, and the like. Employee salaries and monthly electricity bills are just a part of the expenses—research and development departments also need funding.

Recently, there has been a noticeable absurd increase in prices for audiophile headphones.
However, even this situation doesn't guarantee stability for many companies. So, what should be the realistic, actual prices of headphones?

During the last Black Week, prices of many products dropped drastically, such as HiFiMAN. This caused financial trouble for those who had recently purchased them on credit. It's important to note that despite these reductions, these products weren't exactly given away for free, and companies still managed to turn a profit.

The audio market is saturated with various equipment. On the other hand, audiophiles might be surprised by what the future holds for headphones. Although types of transducers like dynamic, planar, or electrostatic have already achieved very high quality, subsequent changes often tend to be cosmetic in nature.

It's the TWS earbuds, new Bluetooth versions, codec battles, and lossless audio that are becoming increasingly appealing to customers. They're more likely to reach for a $200 product every few years due to frequent smartphone upgrades than for a $2000 one, even if the difference in sound quality is minimal. For instance, some novelties like holography in certain tracks may seem enticing.

Audeze, after being acquired by Sony, is focusing on the gaming segment, adapting to current trends.
https://sonyinteractive.com/en/press-releases/2023/sony-interactive-entertainment-to-acquire-audeze/

Meanwhile, Sennheiser, with its 75-year tradition and excellent equipment, not just headphones, is experiencing transformation. Some legends like the HD6...HD8... headphones are still in use, but the company isn't entirely finding its place in the changing landscape of personal devices. Hence, the consumer electronics division of Sennheiser was acquired by the Swiss company Sonova.

Sonova operates in hearing aids, audiological care, and cochlear implants, signifying the shift in Sennheiser's direction.
https://www.sonova.com/en/expanding...s-sonova-acquire-sennheiser-consumer-division

In my opinion, this is good news for the sound industry.
It requires a lot of research and testing to uncover possibly undiscovered areas. Therefore, the principle of "bigger" makes sense in such an endeavor.

After recent interviews on YouTube with Sennheiser engineers, I see a chance that in the coming years (perhaps even now?),
Sennheiser might once again be able to set the terms in the headphone market.
I hope these new solutions will be successful for both our ears and wallets :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #60 of 307
Consumer Electronics Show - Consumer is the key word. Generally speaking, those on head-fi are not mass market consumers. We represent a very small segment of the consumer audio market. My guess is that Sennheiser will introduce some mass market bluetooth IEM's or something to compete with other popular full size BT headphones. As such, many of us will be disappointed. Just my 2 cents.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back