Save BIG on our retuned AEON Flow Headphones; Only $499
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #228 of 260
Any suggestions on desktop amps? I have the mojo and it seems fine, but would be interested in testing something more powerful. Would a magni 3 do it?

thanks
Lyr 3, if not out of your price range... (since you mention Magni 3 which is much cheaper)

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #230 of 260
Yeah, I have a magni I could dig up from somewhere in my storage, but would it push any more than the mojo? The Lyr is out of my price range I would say.
Yes it would, although I tend to prefer tube hybrids with the aeon

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #231 of 260
Yeah, I have a magni I could dig up from somewhere in my storage, but would it push any more than the mojo? The Lyr is out of my price range I would say.
I can recommend the Magnius. On paper the Heresy but I've not heard it.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #232 of 260
Any suggestions on desktop amps? I have the mojo and it seems fine, but would be interested in testing something more powerful. Would a magni 3 do it?

thanks
I like my JDS Labs EL 2 stack for these. It gives a more open sound compared to my 887 THX amp.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #233 of 260
Well for myself the A2 are preferable vs the RT both for sound and portability, but the RT narrowed the gap. So it’ll be more of a budget/value decision. the Newer driver design of A2 does things I like, but of course that’s the 2nd gen so you’d expect I would try to distill it further to my preferred voicing.

Custom colors = custom paint amd we use top of the line auto paint, where a pint is the minimum. Between that and setting up to run paint on one set of parts It’d cost a fortune.
Hi Dan, I am new in the forum but I have been reading posts for a while. I must confess that I was surprised (and delighted) to see that you are replying directly to all the questions addressed here, it is not very often these days to see that a company stays so close to its clients, whom you treat more like friends than customers.

I had the Mr. Speakers AF Open for three weeks and I really enjoyed their inviting, warm and laid-back sound. I also liked the aesthetics, build quality and extreme comfort. I had to return them to his owner but I made up my mind to own Aeons in the near future.

My only concern is that their sound signature is similar to my Sennheisers´ 6xx, fantastic for a relaxed listening but "too relaxed" for genres such as rock, if you know what I mean. Specially if I compare them with other headphones that I own (Beyerdynamic DT990 or Grado RS2i).

When reading all reviews of the AF closed available on the web, I thought that it may be a good candidate to substitute my more lively headphones, however some doubts remained due to some critics on the lack of bass and thin, cold sound.

After reading all the messages in the thread my understanding is that the retuning of the Aeons has brought the sound profile of the brothers closer than it was.

I am more inclined to get the AFC RT for listening to more rocking, lively genres, as it seems that now they are more V shaped, with increased bass and treble. And it seems that the soundstage is also very good for closed headphones. But I really enjoyed the AFO I was wondering whether their retuning has made them to get more lively than they were.

Your opinion would be very appreciated, many thanks for your attention!.

Josepfe

Mar 19, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #234 of 260
Hi Dan, I am new in the forum but I have been reading posts for a while. I must confess that I was surprised (and delighted) to see that you are replying directly to all the questions addressed here, it is not very often these days to see that a company stays so close to its clients, whom you treat more like friends than customers.

I had the Mr. Speakers AF Open for three weeks and I really enjoyed their inviting, warm and laid-back sound. I also liked the aesthetics, build quality and extreme comfort. I had to return them to his owner but I made up my mind to own Aeons in the near future.

My only concern is that their sound signature is similar to my Sennheisers´ 6xx, fantastic for a relaxed listening but "too relaxed" for genres such as rock, if you know what I mean. Specially if I compare them with other headphones that I own (Beyerdynamic DT990 or Grado RS2i).

When reading all reviews of the AF closed available on the web, I thought that it may be a good candidate to substitute my more lively headphones, however some doubts remained due to some critics on the lack of bass and thin, cold sound.

After reading all the messages in the thread my understanding is that the retuning of the Aeons has brought the sound profile of the brothers closer than it was.

I am more inclined to get the AFC RT for listening to more rocking, lively genres, as it seems that now they are more V shaped, with increased bass and treble. And it seems that the soundstage is also very good for closed headphones. But I really enjoyed the AFO I was wondering whether their retuning has made them to get more lively than they were.

Your opinion would be very appreciated, many thanks for your attention!.

Josepfe
Hi! It's great having customers that are part of a community, it makes it more fun for me too!

Anyone who thinks the phone has a lack of bass or a thin sound is, IMHO, suffering from one of two issues: bad seal or not enough power. Put a strong amp and make sure the seal is good.

For sound if you want a bit of "v" the RT Closed and Noire would be the ticket, and should you wish, both can be "warmed up" simply by swapping to the standard Aeon pads.

For the Aeon open RT, yes, we tried to make it a lighter toned in the lower midrange. It's still warmer than the closed in this regard.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 20, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #235 of 260
Hi! It's great having customers that are part of a community, it makes it more fun for me too!

Anyone who thinks the phone has a lack of bass or a thin sound is, IMHO, suffering from one of two issues: bad seal or not enough power. Put a strong amp and make sure the seal is good.

For sound if you want a bit of "v" the RT Closed and Noire would be the ticket, and should you wish, both can be "warmed up" simply by swapping to the standard Aeon pads.

For the Aeon open RT, yes, we tried to make it a lighter toned in the lower midrange. It's still warmer than the closed in this regard.
Hi, many thanks for your prompt and concise, enlightening reply, I really appreciate it! :o2smile:
It's also reassuring and comforting to see people in the business enjoying what they do, and staying close to the people who enjoy what they do...This is what I would call a virtuous circle!.
With regard to the Aeons, I'm having the feeling that it doesn't really matter which model I choose, you can't go wrong with any of them....
Best regards,
Josepfe

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #236 of 260
Can anyone tell me what I am getting by upgrading from RT closed to Noire?

I like my RT closed very much, I like lower mid dip in closed headphones, I think it makes it sound correct. In some closed headphone housings it can sound much too thick otherwise IMO.

But I am a treblehead, I was wondering the noire has a touch more air from 10khz to 15khz or are they largely the same in this area with RT closed?

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #237 of 260
Per the requests, here is the difference between the RT and original models. Measured on our GRAS/Audio Precision setup.

This is AEON Flow Closed (Purple) vs AEON Flow RT, Closed (Green)

AFC vs AFC RT.jpg

The obvious major difference between the closed models is the bass boost of 4dB below 150Hz, with the 2dB dip from 150-210Hz. This gives a sizeable increase in bass output, obviously. The original tuning was designed to be very "reference," but since those days we've voiced all our headphones to have more thump to be both more "fun" and to be more perceptually flat, vs measurement flat.

This is AEON Flow Open (Green) vs AEON Flow RT, Open (Red).

AFO RT Vs AFO.JPG

There are two difference in AEON Flow RT, Open vs AEON Flow, Open, namely the obvious increase of almost 5dB in sub bass, and the ~4dB output in the upper midrange. The RT tuning is pretty close to the Harmon curve.

Perceptually, the difference between the AFCRTC and the AFCRTO is that the AFCRTO will be a bit more Harmon curve, with a lot more upper bass/lower midrange warmth and more upper midrange energy. Paradoxically, the leaner and more linear delivery in the closed is what often makes people say the Closed sounds more "open" than the Open version. My $0.02 is that is not true, what happens is having more energy in this region makes vocals and instruments sound larger and thus closer, however, if you listen to the depth of field like echos and reverb, the Open headphone reaches deeper into space. After many years, I came to the conclusion based on talking to many people that a lot of people think of soundstage as how far away the closest instrument/voice is, while others think of the front to back distance. I don't think there's a right answer, but rather I share this to help people figure out how they may view soundstage to pick the voicing that's best for them based on their perception and preference.

Anyhow, hope this is fun and helpful information for people. I'll repost in the Hel Yeah thread as well since there will be curious minds there too.
This was a very helpful post and helps explain why I prefer the original AFC very well. Thanks much for the details and theory on soundstage perception, I believe you have captured that very accurately.

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #238 of 260

thanks

More listening done on the weekend. I think i passed 100+ hours and now believer in burn in.
I use 2 notch white pads for music, no pads for gaming/movies to hear out more details.

magni heresy/modi 3+ is a very powerful stack can run them with good rumble on either low gain near maxed, high gain around 11 o clock. I like to listen loud. This combo is warm, very warm indeed. I can listen to this headphone for 24 hours with this stack and no fatigue at all.

Chord Mojo is magical device and offer more clarity/sparkle. Can power aeon well. I surprised to hear such difference between 2 sources. There’s more stage in mojo too. Wish battery life didn’t suck.

This headphone is very good allrounder, only downside is cable sucks big time. Can feel thin wires inside loose fabric. I’ll order hart audio cables soon. Maybe get a hip dac to expirement with 4.4mm too.

I also think about getting new noir in future just bc i love my aeon rt so much. invest in a dap such as kann and have an endgame setup... but black friday is far away. :)

Attachments

• 6ECA7EA8-B144-4769-8C4A-7DC244027893.jpeg
    6ECA7EA8-B144-4769-8C4A-7DC244027893.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 4EFC5263-ED9D-46ED-B44C-1A61C548FE9D.jpeg
    4EFC5263-ED9D-46ED-B44C-1A61C548FE9D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #239 of 260
I really like my drop version of the closed model. Just need to find a better portable ios amp for it.
The mojo is probably the best ever portable dac amp with a “magic” that outperforms portable as well as desktop setups that costs a lot more. And it’s great for iOS you just need to buy the Apple cck camera adapter for 20$.
Check out the video where Rob Watts who designed it explains the technology behind it, also the Aeon is his favorite headphone too!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #240 of 260
Hello Dan,

Can you please settle my curiosity...was there ever an Aeon that wasn't an Aeon Flow? It's my understanding that the first Aeon was closed, and was the Flow.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back