Save BIG on our retuned AEON Flow Headphones; Only $499
Mar 31, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #241 of 260
Hello Dan,

Can you please settle my curiosity...was there ever an Aeon that wasn't an Aeon Flow? It's my understanding that the first Aeon was closed, and was the Flow.

Cheers
The original AEON was first-generation flow technology and our first generation motor design, similar to the original ETHER Flow. We revised the motor design with AEON 2 and ETHER 2, reversing the orientation of the magnets and using a new design that built the driver around flow tech instead of integrating flow into an existing driver, so the AEON 2 series has a number of design advantages the enhance the sound quality.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 31, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #242 of 260
The original AEON was first-generation flow technology and our first generation motor design, similar to the original ETHER Flow. We revised the motor design with AEON 2 and ETHER 2, reversing the orientation of the magnets and using a new design that built the driver around flow tech instead of integrating flow into an existing driver, so the AEON 2 series has a number of design advantages the enhance the sound quality.
Thanks Dan

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #243 of 260
Hey Dan,

One last question...I own both Aeon Flows, Open and closed. The open have always had a lot more bass. The Aeon closed had very little bass for a long time, but now after several months of use, the bass is about perfect.
Is it normal for the Aeon closed to increase bass output over time?
Also, I think you got the tuning perfect on the Aeon Closed. The newer Aeon open and Aeon 2's being much more bassy, say consumer tuned. Was this to sayisfy the market or has your personal view on correct tuning changed over time?

Cheers

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #244 of 260
Hey Dan,

One last question...I own both Aeon Flows, Open and closed. The open have always had a lot more bass. The Aeon closed had very little bass for a long time, but now after several months of use, the bass is about perfect.
Is it normal for the Aeon closed to increase bass output over time?
Also, I think you got the tuning perfect on the Aeon Closed. The newer Aeon open and Aeon 2's being much more bassy, say consumer tuned. Was this to sayisfy the market or has your personal view on correct tuning changed over time?

Cheers
It's typical to pick up 1-2dB of bass during burn-in and to have the highs smooth out.

There are multiple ways to listen to and perceive bass on headphones, the original AEON Closed was tuned to a pretty linear response on a fixture. Now if you listen to certain music like classical that linearity shows up very well with the midrange, however, due to the way we perceive bass, which includes physical bone-conduction from speakers/live sources, many people need a boost in the bass to perceive headphone bass as flat, and this is particularly true when the headphone has very low THD, as ours do, because it's easier to hear the bass harmonics than the fundamental, especially at lower volumes. A lot of where a person falls on the perception of bass output I think depends a lot on whether the person LISTENS to the bass level of FEELS the bass level, or a blend of both.

For this reason we've switched some models to have boosted bass so the perceived bass feels closer to live or speaker-based music. That said, there are many other factors and some headphones like VOCE sound like the bass is boosted when it's ruler flat.

Of course Dakoni now makes a pad that is designed to make the AEON 2 bass linear like the original AEON Closed so you have paths to get the sound you want through our pads, or Dakoni.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 31, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #245 of 260
It's typical to pick up 1-2dB of bass during burn-in and to have the highs smooth out.

There are multiple ways to listen to and perceive bass on headphones, the original AEON Closed was tuned to a pretty linear response on a fixture. Now if you listen to certain music like classical that linearity shows up very well with the midrange, however, due to the way we perceive bass, which includes physical bone-conduction from speakers/live sources, many people need a boost in the bass to perceive headphone bass as flat, and this is particularly true when the headphone has very low THD, as ours do, because it's easier to hear the bass harmonics than the fundamental, especially at lower volumes. A lot of where a person falls on the perception of bass output I think depends a lot on whether the person LISTENS to the bass level of FEELS the bass level, or a blend of both.

For this reason we've switched some models to have boosted bass so the perceived bass feels closer to live or speaker-based music. That said, there are many other factors and some headphones like VOCE sound like the bass is boosted when it's ruler flat.

Of course Dakoni now makes a pad that is designed to make the AEON 2 bass linear like the original AEON Closed so you have paths to get the sound you want through our pads, or Dakoni.

Mar 31, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #246 of 260
Excellent, thanks Dan.

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #247 of 260
@mrspeakers Maybe you can help me with this I saw you have a sale going on for that Aeon RT bundle I definitely will be a making a purchase of that. FPS gaming first music second should I go open or closed? Or are they not that much difference and be more down to preference? Only other question I will have is how long will that sale last I have a SRH 1540 I returned to amazon yesterday so I have to wait most likely 2 weeks to receive my refund back to then make a purchase from your website.

Apr 4, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #249 of 260
@mrspeakers Maybe you can help me with this I saw you have a sale going on for that Aeon RT bundle I definitely will be a making a purchase of that. FPS gaming first music second should I go open or closed? Or are they not that much difference and be more down to preference? Only other question I will have is how long will that sale last I have a SRH 1540 I returned to amazon yesterday so I have to wait most likely 2 weeks to receive my refund back to then make a purchase from your website.
Hi! The first critieria for open vs closed is whether you worry about bothering, or being bothered by, others. If you wan't to keep from hearing other people or avoid bothering with your noise, go closed. After that, the closed has a bit of a leaner midrange, which is pretty close to the Harmon curve, while the open is warmer toned. The warmer tone of the open places you a bit closer to the music, like being a few rows closer in a theatre, but the open offers a little more depth of field as well. I think FPS is a bit more fun with a bit more "boom" to audio effects, so for me I'd pick the open if games are first.

The sale lasts until we run out of the Hel amps, inventory is limited so I can't say when that'll be.

May 21, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #251 of 260
I think one of the Dakoni ear pads is designed to flatten the response without killing the sub-bass, I'd actually point you to that.
Hey Dan,

I finally got around to fitting Dekoni Hybrid pads to my og afo's.

This did exactly what I wanted. Mid bass flattened off, upper mids and treble boosted a tad.

I didn't want the treble boost but the upper mids sound great. I added one notch filters to sort the treble.

I'm sure you must've tried this combo Dan? It's a fantastic mod.

Cheers

May 21, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #252 of 260
Hey Dan,

I finally got around to fitting Dekoni Hybrid pads to my og afo's.

This did exactly what I wanted. Mid bass flattened off, upper mids and treble boosted a tad.

I didn't want the treble boost but the upper mids sound great. I added one notch filters to sort the treble.

I'm sure you must've tried this combo Dan? It's a fantastic mod.

Cheers
Sure, I tried it... Glad it worked out for you!

May 21, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #253 of 260
Jul 3, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #254 of 260
Hi, although this thread is not very active, I thought I would try my luck to see if someone (perhaps Dan) can answer a question for me. I have just purchased the Drop + Aeon Closed version of this headphone - looking forward to receiving it. My question is about the cable that comes with this headphone on Drop. I know it's the DUMMER cable with 1/4" termination (single ended). Most of the gear I have to drive these with (Ibasso DX200 or Holo Audio Cyan DAC/Amp) has a balanced amp out option that I prefer to use. I'm wondering if the cable that comes with the Drop version could be modified to a balanced version (by me) by simply removing the 1/4" connector and soldering on a balanced connector (4 pin male XLR in my case). This obviously depends on how the DUMMER cable with 1/4" termination is constructed, that is, do they tie the common side of the drivers from the L-R earpieces together at the headphone end of the cable or at the 1/4" termination end of the cable (or perhaps somewhere in-between)? If it's at the 1/4"termination end, I should have no problem with my plan, I guess.

FYI, I realise that I could have purchased the Aeon RT Closed headphone from the DCA website for only $20 more and chosen the balanced DUMMER cable with the 4 pin XLR connector instead of the single ended 1/4" connector for no extra cost, however, I live in Australia and the postage to get the headphones here from the DCA site was $100 + and the postage on Drop was only $15, so I went with the Drop version and figured I would sort the cable out later.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 3, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #255 of 260
Hi, although this thread is not very active, I thought I would try my luck to see if someone (perhaps Dan) can answer a question for me. I have just purchased the Drop + Aeon Closed version of this headphone - looking forward to receiving it. My question is about the cable that comes with this headphone on Drop. I know it's the DUMMER cable with 1/4" termination (single ended). Most of the gear I have to drive these with (Ibasso DX200 or Holo Audio Cyan DAC/Amp) has a balanced amp out option that I prefer to use. I'm wondering if the cable that comes with the Drop version could be modified to a balanced version (by me) by simply removing the 1/4" connector and soldering on a balanced connector (4 pin male XLR in my case). This obviously depends on how the DUMMER cable with 1/4" termination is constructed, that is, do they tie the common side of the drivers from the L-R earpieces together at the headphone end of the cable or at the 1/4" termination end of the cable (or perhaps somewhere in-between)? If it's at the 1/4"termination end, I should have no problem with my plan, I guess.

FYI, I realise that I could have purchased the Aeon RT Closed headphone from the DCA website for only $20 more and chosen the balanced DUMMER cable with the 4 pin XLR connector instead of the single ended 1/4" connector for no extra cost, however, I live in Australia and the postage to get the headphones here from the DCA site was $100 + and the postage on Drop was only $15, so I went with the Drop version and figured I would sort the cable out later.

Any help would be appreciated.
Actually, now that I think about this a bit more, it's not possible for the common side of the drivers to be connected at the headphone end (as they come out the headphone cups separately) and the only possible place, other than the 1/4" terminator, that the common wires could be tied together is where the two cables coming out of the cups join to 'become' one cable. So my question still remains, although I now think it's most likely to be at the 1/4" terminator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back