Save BIG on our retuned AEON Flow Headphones; Only $499
Jan 15, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #196 of 260
I have been thinking about getting a pair of RT open cans a year now because of the price, look, and portability, and because of the genre, I listen to, classics and jazz. I am not rich enough to consider Aeon flow Gen 2, so I am curious how the RT version comparest to the much more expensive flows 2.

I have some Aeon Open RTs on the way and owned the Aeon Open 2 last year so I will try to compare them as best I can with the caveat that it will be the memory (and the EQ profile) of the Aeon 2 I am comparing to!

Glad the Aeon got a positive review! Personally I am happy the Aeons have less upper mids that harmon as I find harmon to be quite shouty. I think its good to ballpark Harmon curve but there is definitely room for improvement with it and I think its better for headphone creators to give their own take on a target curve personally. Its good to be close enough that you can EQ it easily if you want it, but should never be seen as failing if it doesnt perfectly match it IMO.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #197 of 260
Other than using EQ, has anyone found a way to lower the upper-bass/lower-mids? I had the AFO 2 and liked everything about them except the bass-mid transition. That section of the FR was too overpowering and dominated a lot my music and games.

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #198 of 260
The A2C and AFC RT have more sub bass and less upper bass/lower mids.

11249032.jpg

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #199 of 260
I just got my Closed RT yesterday. Really enjoyed them last night with the Jotunheim 2. I ordered a single ended adapter on Amazon today, so hopefully they do well with the Lyr 3 also. I’m pretty happy for $450. I think it’s a heck of a deal.

Jan 20, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #203 of 260
Thanks for sharing, but I do need open headphones. Unfortunately, it looks like the upper-bass/lower-mid bleed is there on all the open headphones. Hoping someone has a solution besides EQ for that.
Hey man,

I asked Dan a little while back but go no response. He tuned the original Aeon Closed perfectly flat, so I'm sure he could've done the same with the open headphones.

I think consumer demand is for the bass bump. I guess Dan never responded because a significant mod would be required. Like opening up the drivers.

Cheers

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #206 of 260
Hey man,

I asked Dan a little while back but go no response. He tuned the original Aeon Closed perfectly flat, so I'm sure he could've done the same with the open headphones.

I think consumer demand is for the bass bump. I guess Dan never responded because a significant mod would be required. Like opening up the drivers.

Cheers

I think one of the Dakoni ear pads is designed to flatten the response without killing the sub-bass, I'd actually point you to that.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 21, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #207 of 260
The Aeon Open RT is amazing, incredible deal for 500 bucks. I dont know of anything else that sounds this good, is built this well and is this comfortable in the 500 dollars and under category.

I actually had the Aeon Open 2 and I enjoy the RT more lol. The Open 2 was in every way better from a technical standpoint, much more detailed and a wider soundstage but the RT is more fun to me. I like the RTs FR better (though I still EQ it :)) and I actually prefer the smaller soundstage of the RT, the Aeons speed combined with the more intimate sound makes for a wonderfully engaging experience. The level of detail though not as much as Aeon 2 is very good in the 500 dollar price bracket, the only thing I ever tried that does better was the Koss ESP 95/x and well that outdetails nearly everything under 1k IMO.

Probably an unpopular opinion but the Aeon RT is in the detail sweet spot imo ,you never feel you are missing anything and some annoying elements are less prominent, I think this is perfect for music enjoyment.

Also you need a beast amp for the RT, I think these are slightly more difficult than the Aeon 2 to drive. Geshelli Archel 2.5 via XLR and Asgard 3 sound great with it. Currently trying to decide which I prefer with the Aeon! Low gain doesnt cut it with either for anything other than low volume listening. Dont try to use the RT with wimpy dongles and the like!

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #208 of 260
I'm looking for a good pair of closed-back headphones, well-balanced, with a tonality leaning on the warmer side, non-fatiguing and musical for diverse genres…

I don't mind an airy/sparkly treble at all but I'm sensitive to sibilance… Bass I love, but shouldn't be too boomy nor bleed onto the mids.

Needs to be confortable for big ears and long sessions.

Welcome to the club you'll say but… help?

Should I go for the Aeon RT Closed or Noire?

PS Previous headphones: Meze 99 Classic (too boomy/veiled), Campfire Audio Cascade (great but uncomfortable LOVED that retro-design though), and A&K T5p 2nd Gen. (let's just say the cable was the best I ever had on a pair of headphones and leave it at that).

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #209 of 260
I'm looking for a good pair of closed-back headphones, well-balanced, with a tonality leaning on the warmer side, non-fatiguing and musical for diverse genres…

I don't mind an airy/sparkly treble at all but I'm sensitive to sibilance… Bass I love, but shouldn't be too boomy nor bleed onto the mids.

PS Previous headphones: Meze 99 Classic (too boomy/veiled), Campfire Audio Cascade (great but uncomfortable LOVED that retro-design though), and A&K T5p 2nd Gen. (let's just say the cable was the best I ever had on a pair of headphones and leave it at that).
Aeon flow open

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #210 of 260

Aeon flow open is better (it is basically semi closed with the amount of damping in the cups)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back