Save BIG on our retuned AEON Flow Headphones; Only $499
Jul 18, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #136 of 260

Sorry, I made an error folks! I seriously have no idea how I misread the terms, I thought you could get up to a 10x credit for credit up to $50, but in fact it's one $5 rebate on a >$10 purchase, up to 10 times.

I just sent a correcting email, but just in case I wanted to catch that here too.

Super embarrassed, that was on me. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 18, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #137 of 260
Email went out to an
Sorry, I made an error folks! I seriously have no idea how I misread the terms, I thought you could get up to a 10x credit for credit up to $50, but in fact it's one $5 rebate on a >$10 purchase, up to 10 times.

I just sent a correcting email, but just in case I wanted to catch that here too.

Super embarrassed, that was on me. :frowning2:
I should have known it was too good to be true!

Thanks for the clarification.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #140 of 260
Hi Dan! Which is the best for female vocals? I listen to mostly modern pop and sometimes acoustic @mrspeakers

If you like a lighter and breathier tone, the Open has a bit more of a V to it. If you like a little more intimate and warm delivery the closed does.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #141 of 260
Converted one last Null Audio cable over to the hirose connectors! I have too many cables now haha Guess it's time to try out some more DC Audio headphones!

IMG_4329.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #142 of 260
@mrspeakers
Hi Dan are you able to comment on how does the Ether CX compare with the A2C and the AFC RT?

Also is the 15% discount on the A2C mentioned earlier on this thread gone?

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #143 of 260
@mrspeakers
Hi Dan are you able to comment on how does the Ether CX compare with the A2C and the AFC RT?

Also is the 15% discount on the A2C mentioned earlier on this thread gone?

Tonally the CX is a very neutral headphone while the A2 has boosted bass relative to the CX. The 15% “lockdown special” is done.

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #146 of 260
@mrspeakers
Hey Dan!
I noticed that you mentioned that the main differences between the Open X and the Open Re-tuned are that there is +1db on sounds past 4k. Are there any other differences in the low end or anything else of note? Thanks!

They're pretty similar in many regards, it is based off the same basic design. They're quite different sounding from the original AEON Flows, especially the closed unit.

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #147 of 260
They're pretty similar in many regards, it is based off the same basic design. They're quite different sounding from the original AEON Flows, especially the closed unit.
Ok, thank you! I recently ordered a pair of the Aeon Flow RT and am really excited to try it! I just wanted to ensure I got a similar experience to the Aeon Open X because I've been hearing many positive things about the pair from reviewers. I also primarily listen to EDM, so I wanted to ensure the low end was about the same. Thanks again for your help!

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #148 of 260
Ok, thank you! I recently ordered a pair of the Aeon Flow RT and am really excited to try it! I just wanted to ensure I got a similar experience to the Aeon Open X because I've been hearing many positive things about the pair from reviewers. I also primarily listen to EDM, so I wanted to ensure the low end was about the same. Thanks again for your help!

Hope you enjoy them!

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #149 of 260
Just dropping a quick note to talk about the AFC re-tuned.

This thing is a really incredible headphone at any price and a great deal for $500. I've spent significant time with all of the recent DCA closed headphones and the AFC re-tuned is my favorite after the ETHER C v1.1. I actually like it more than the Aeon 2 closed.

The AFC 1 was more neutral and a bit cold in the bass, but more forward in the mids vs. Aeon 2. AFC re-tuned places the warmth balance right in the middle between AFC 1 and AFC 2 and manages to maintain the forward mids I like about the AFC 1, but with more bass impact and better timbre in the lower midrange. Surprisingly the soundstage is wider vs. Aeon 1 (still smaller vs. Aeon 2) and the treble is less damped leading to more air and sense of openness. It looks like the internal tuning pad was removed as I can see the driver array behind the pad like with Aeon 2.

These really hit the right balance for me with metal and electronic music. The AFC 1 was great with electronic, but felt a bit cold for metal and lacking dynamics in many poorly recorded metal albums. AFC 1 also was fatiguing in the midrange and treble. Somehow the AFC re-tuned manages to have more exciting treble, but is not fatiguing.

I have a several flagship headphones here, but I can't put the AFC re-tuned down lol. They are just super fun.

Aeon 2 closed is slightly better in absolute detail retrieval and soundstage. Sub-bass impact is similar but the midbass is a bit greater. Mids are much further out and for electronic music this worked really well, but for metal I found it dulled the attack on electric guitar and vocals. I prefer more aggressive close-in mids vs. larger soundstage though and I can see how others would prefer the larger presentation from the Aeon 2.

These still need a lot of power to sound their best. I'm running them off Bifrost 2 > Jotunheim balanced and Lyr 3 SE. Like the AFC 1, I think they still pair best with Ly 3, but the Jot sounds great too. They sound OK off the iDSD micro BL, but the dynamics compress and the headphones sound restrained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back