Save BIG on our retuned AEON Flow Headphones; Only $499
Jun 14, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #121 of 260
I’ve converted two null audio cables to the hirose connectors so far and both had slightly different sound signatures vs the stock cable that came with the Aeon rtx closed. While I wouldn’t claim they’re “night and day difference” it was interesting as the other planars I have could care less about cable swaps and I usually notice no difference. All my other planars are open back so it may be more noticeable since it’s a closed back planar. Like the others said, buy for looks and cable length first and if you notice a sound difference then that’s great.

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #122 of 260
Well I am using a mojo so getting a balanced cable would not make much sense. This is my first big purchase so as they may be my endgame as well. I just want them to be to sound their best. In the future I might consider a shorter cable for better mobility but I just was curious if I was missing out on a big piece of the final product.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #123 of 260
To be clear. If there is a night and day difference between two "cables", at least one of them is certainly not a cable, or at least not a functional one.

There is no reason to believe that there are no audible differences between cables that are made of different conductors and/or core types or constructions. Solid core conductor, multi strand cores, litz cores, different degrees of metal purity, shielded, unshielded, different braiding styles, lenght etc. The differences are even measurable (e.g. resistance and capacitance measurements, radio frequencies tests etc.). The problems is that there is no evidence or measurement showing that those factors affect audio signals in a cable (even less so in regard to audio quality).

The vast majority of folks will attest that they can hear differences in cables (myself included). But to this date (to my knowledge at least) there has not been any blind test to prove them (us) right.

On top of that, any of those thousand buck cables can be DIY-ed for fifty bucks worth of materials and a couple of hours of free time. Which is why they are so popular with manufacturers, and so highly recommended. :wink:

The truth is that there are new researches, into various quantum research fields, popping out everyday. And that very dear to us quantum particle, the beloved electron, is still a very much un-understood little rascal. :kissing_heart:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #124 of 260
Well I appreciate the insight to this topic and all the info. I will probably in the future pick up a cable to see if the difference can be heard by my less than great ears. Curious about making cables but I am much better at breaking things than making things so I will leave that to the more advanced. Given the knowledge you have of the afc, what would a reasonable price for a cable that exceeds the dummer cable in sound quality? Thanks

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #125 of 260
As with all of hi-fi components, you have to find what works for you. Usually I look for manufacturers that list what kind of wire is used, details about the build etc. Personally, I would focus on ergonomics and a different type of wire first. Stock DUM cable is really lacking in ergonomics, and from what I could tell when I re-terminated it, it's plain multi strand (OFC?) copper wire (think average interconnect/microphone cable wires). I fancy hi-purity and OCC copper, silver coated and litz wires are also touted to be worth a try. As for price range, personally I wouldn't mind going up to $300, it's pretty fair for good looking, ergonomic boutique builds, IMO, over that you better make sure you are getting something extra luxurious, especially in terms of ergonomics.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #127 of 260
Hi Dan,

What will the perforated pads do to an original AFO?

Cheers

Jul 2, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #128 of 260
Hi Dan,

What will the perforated pads do to an original AFO?

Cheers

Lean out the midrange a bit, give it a bit more of a V-curve, closer to the Harmon curve, if you like that sound. Also increases soundstage size.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 2, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #129 of 260
Lean out the midrange a bit, give it a bit more of a V-curve, closer to the Harmon curve, if you like that sound. Also increases soundstage size.
I really like the AFO, but often eq a dip from 80 to 400. Usually take 2 to 3 db out, is this where the pads dip the frequency response?

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #130 of 260
I really like the AFO, but often eq a dip from 80 to 400. Usually take 2 to 3 db out, is this where the pads dip the frequency response?

It's approximately -2.5dB 100-500Hz, and about -4 dB 500-2K and +2dB 2-4K. This puts it pretty close to the Harmon curve, if you like that particular EQ. I found it to be generally more coherent with my personal taste than the original pads, I enjoy it a lot with all genres, from electronica to jazz.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 2, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #131 of 260
It's approximately -2.5dB 100-500Hz, and about -4 dB 500-2K and +2dB 2-4K. This puts it pretty close to the Harmon curve, if you like that particular EQ. I found it to be generally more coherent with my personal taste than the original pads, I enjoy it a lot with all genres, from electronica to jazz.
Thanks for that Dan!

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #133 of 260
With Dan Clarks Latest offer...teaming with AMEX, these guys are as low as $375. The big question is, open or closed!!??

What do you mean teaming with AMEX? I'm having a hard time finding info on this.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #134 of 260
1595076192331.png

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #135 of 260

Users who are viewing this thread

Back