Save BIG on our retuned AEON Flow Headphones; Only $499
May 8, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #46 of 260
The change on both is good in the bass. The highs and high mids are closer on the closed vs. closed. The amount of midrange boost from 2 khz to 5 khz in the RT Open is wildly different than the minimal change in the closed. That's an area I can always find kind of "hard", and why I prefer, for example, the Drop Senn HD58X vs. the HD600. Even with the extra bass, it might not offset that.

May 8, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #48 of 260
The change on both is good in the bass. The highs and high mids are closer on the closed vs. closed. The amount of midrange boost from 2 khz to 5 khz in the RT Open is wildly different than the minimal change in the closed. That's an area I can always find kind of "hard", and why I prefer, for example, the Drop Senn HD58X vs. the HD600. Even with the extra bass, it might not offset that.

It's more of a Harmon curve response to be sure. The fenestrated ear pad creates more of a V in the response, increasing the energy in that region.

For myself I prefer a softer delivery in the upper midrange, it just sound more lifelike to me, but many people enjoy more presence there. If you want to reduce the upper midrange on the open you can switch to the standard AEON pads used on the closed, the highs will line up a lot closer to the AFRTC.

We are in the process of getting pads with our "peelable" tech on the store, then you can reversibly swap pads to get the preferred voicing.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 8, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #49 of 260
My bad, I didn't explain good enough what I meant. The text before the Opens' graph. If someone doesn't read the whole post, it may give the wrong 'picture' of what the graph is showing. It's clearly a typo to me tho. YMMV

I think you are confused. It is correct: Green is original AFO Red is AFRTO. RT = more bass and more upper midrange, as shown. That's a very "Harmon Curve" response.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 8, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #51 of 260
Thanks for the response. It would be cool to see an overlay of the RT Closed with the AF Closed 2 or even all three Closed versions together.

Have to do that stuff in the office and that'll be a few days, don't have the system I need at home. As CA reopens manufacturing today we're only going to allow 2 people in the office at a time for employee safety, running multiple shifts and still having most work done from home. I have to go in on rotation so manufacturing staff has access to production equipment that can't be sent to homes.

Safety first. :)

May 8, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #52 of 260
I think you are confused. It is correct: Green is original AFO Red is AFRTO. RT = more bass and more upper midrange, as shown. That's a very "Harmon Curve" response.

I'm talking about the captions. Is the AEON Flow RT, Closed present in both graphs? If so, why is the FR different? Now I'm really confused.

This is AEON Flow Closed (Purple) vs AEON Flow RT, Closed (Green)

This is AEON Flow Open (Green) vs AEON Flow RT, Closed (Red).

May 8, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #53 of 260
I'm talking about the captions. Is the AEON Flow RT, Closed present in both graphs? If so, why is the FR different? Now I'm really confused.

Oh gosh. My brain appears to be on holiday. Covid dyslexia, that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

May 8, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #55 of 260
Aeon Open RT has a very nice FR indeed, good deal for sure! Thanks for posting those Dan, I wish all headphone makers would do that!

I always have mixed feelings about posting measurements, in part because every fixture measures differently, and there are all sorts of crazy compensation curves and stuff people use so it sometimes seems to create more questions than it answers. And a big challenge is that "flat" doesn't measure flat, and worse, perceived "flat" isn't ruler flat like a loudspeaker measurement would be. On the other hand we do use the same rig Head-Fi uses so at least we're consistent and for those who follow Jude's measurements these would be consistent.

That said, I'll probably add full measurements to our site soon including THD, waterfall and impulse response.

May 8, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #56 of 260
I always have mixed feelings about posting measurements, in part because every fixture measures differently, and there are all sorts of crazy compensation curves and stuff people use so it sometimes seems to create more questions than it answers. And a big challenge is that "flat" doesn't measure flat, and worse, perceived "flat" isn't ruler flat like a loudspeaker measurement would be. On the other hand we do use the same rig Head-Fi uses so at least we're consistent and for those who follow Jude's measurements these would be consistent.

That said, I'll probably add full measurements to our site soon including THD, waterfall and impulse response.
I don't really care too much about measurements, but in this case I find it very useful because you care comparing two headphones and that gives us a good idea on what are the differences between the two.I also like that you explained the differences. I remember when i first got the Aeon closed I found them lacking a little oomph and if it weren't for the fact that I just bought the A2C, the RT closed would have been a no brainer for me. Thanks again

May 8, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #57 of 260

Thanks Dan, I’m going to pick them both up in the next few weeks.

May 10, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #58 of 260
@mrspeakers Can you comment on the soundstage on the new Aeon Open RT vs the Aeon Open 2... I saw earlier that you said the soundstage of the Closed 2 was much wider than the RT, but curious how things differ on the Open sets... thanks!

May 10, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #59 of 260

Yeah that is a fair point, I think the main thing is its a good idea to always post a disclaimer that its really only useful to compare measurements made on the same rig to each other as every measurement rig is calibrated differently and as you said people dont always even use the same compensation..if they use any at all.

The MiniDSP ears measurements are the worst ones as they are just not very accurate, its very much like licking your finger and sticking in the air to measure wind speed. They get posted everywhere and can be very misleading though it is nice that it is so affordable.

I think its great to add them to the website though as they are really nice for people who cant demo them in person. THD, waterfall and impulse responses would be awesome to see as well. I think you would be the only one who actually posted those on your website if you did. Never seen even the big name companies do that which is kind of a shame but I guess there hasnt been much demand for it.

May 10, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #60 of 260
@mrspeakers Can you comment on the soundstage on the new Aeon Open RT vs the Aeon Open 2... I saw earlier that you said the soundstage of the Closed 2 was much wider than the RT, but curious how things differ on the Open sets... thanks!

A2O soundstage is definitelybwider and deeper than the AFORT. Overall more resolution, a bit smoother tone and more dynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back