SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Mar 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #663 of 1,093
Just picked up a Sansa Clip today, I love it even without rockbox installed! I'm downloading the rockbox firmware right now.

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #664 of 1,093
love the clip+ and rockbox made it even better. Would be good if people put up what EQ they use and frequency cutoff's and everything.

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #665 of 1,093

Quote:
love the clip+ and rockbox made it even better. Would be good if people put up what EQ they use and frequency cutoff's and everything.

I have a precut of -7.0db. 

On my equalizer the lowest section is at -3.5db, in the section the "cutoff" is at 20 (does that mean it will reach down to 20?) and the "Q" (dunno what that is) is at 0.7. 

On the next level (one level up) it is set at -1.5db, the cutoff is at 150 and the "Q" is at 1.0.

On the next level (another level up) it is set at 2.0db, the cutoff is at 800 and the "Q" is at 1.0.

On the next level (another level up... the fourth level up) it is set at -1.0db, the cutoff is at 4000 and the "Q" is at 1.0.

on the highest level it is set at -1.5, the cutoff is at 12000 and the "Q" is at 0.7.

Oh, I also turned the crossfeed feature on and my "crossgain" is at -12.0db, my direct gain is at -1.5db and my "high frequency attention" is at -16.0db and my "high frequency cutoff" is at 700hz. 

My "stereo width" is at 100% but is capable of reaching 250%. 

Also, I have heard that it may be a good idea to adjust the blue screws in my PA2V2 to adjust the gain? 

I am feeling pretty lost here. Not only do I not know what a lot of this stuff means but I don't even know if my settings are any good. Please help this noob out! I'd really appreciate it.

I want to learn how to adjust the settings and whatnot. If anyone can even point me in the right direction as to where I can learn that'd be great! :)

edit: is there anything else I should consider?

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #666 of 1,093
@sonic atrocity,
visit rockbox.org, and look for the Rockbox Manual for your clip.read it thoroughly, and read the Sound Settings chapter in the manual properly.after understanding all the terms being used in the Rockbox settings, play around,fiddle a little, learn and try a little everyday, u'd eventually reach a point, where your settings, would be to your liking.we all are individuals, with individual ears...even the ears on the same head respond differently to different frequency sounds, how then can we tell u what would be the best for you? Believe on your ears, give time to playing with the settings, u'd get the best one day :)

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #667 of 1,093
i dont fully understand it either, but to me EQ switched off sounds best.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #668 of 1,093
when i'm using my PK3s without an amp, i just usually give it a bass boost of +5 or +6 if i'm outdoors. when using my grado sr255s and amp, i leave it totally flat. both settings sound pretty rockin' to me, i don't know anything about the EQ settings.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #669 of 1,093

Quote:
@sonic atrocity,
visit rockbox.org, and look for the Rockbox Manual for your clip.read it thoroughly, and read the Sound Settings chapter in the manual properly.after understanding all the terms being used in the Rockbox settings, play around,fiddle a little, learn and try a little everyday, u'd eventually reach a point, where your settings, would be to your liking.we all are individuals, with individual ears...even the ears on the same head respond differently to different frequency sounds, how then can we tell u what would be the best for you? Believe on your ears, give time to playing with the settings, u'd get the best one day
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey thanks, buddy! I appreciate that. I will definitely look on Rockbox's website. I hope I didn't come off like I expected others to do the work for me. I was just looking for a good discussion. :) Thanks again! :)

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #670 of 1,093
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #671 of 1,093
Actually, I may as well ask about this here: I added Nirvana's Bleach and Nevermind to my Rockboxed Clip+ and it has never removed itself. When I view all of my music files on the computer within the Rockboxed Clip+ Nirvana doesn't even show up. I have no issues changing the other music files. But Nirvana is just stuck on there. I can listen to it on my Clip+ just like all the files. It. Just. Stays. There. 

Any ideas??

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #672 of 1,093
EQ

2.0-50-0.7
1.0-200-1.0
0.0-800-1.0
0.0-7500-1.0
0.0-1600-0.7

sounds ok, but i mainly leave EQ off

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #673 of 1,093

Quote:
EQ

2.0-50-0.7
1.0-200-1.0
0.0-800-1.0
0.0-7500-1.0
0.0-1600-0.7

sounds ok, but i mainly leave EQ off

Whoa, all of my cutoff points are totally different than yours. Like, my top shelf cutoff is at 12000. 

Agh I need a general guideline!!!! The Rockbox website just doesn't cut it. I need to know what values might be good. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #674 of 1,093

Quote:
Whoa, all of my cutoff points are totally different than yours. Like, my top shelf cutoff is at 12000. 

Agh I need a general guideline!!!! The Rockbox website just doesn't cut it. I need to know what values might be good. 

It all depends on your ears and headphones. Sit down in front of foobar2000 and play some tunes while watching the spectrum analyzer (bottom of pic)

Then tinker with the foobar EQ, and see what frequencies you think need boosting or cutting.....you'll see the results on the spectrum analyzer, then you'll have an idea where to start with your own ears and headphones.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #675 of 1,093

Quote:
It all depends on your ears and headphones. Sit down in front of foobar2000 and play some tunes while watching the spectrum analyzer (bottom of pic)

Then tinker with the foobar EQ, and see what frequencies you think need boosting or cutting.....you'll see the results on the spectrum analyzer, then you'll have an idea where to start with your own ears and headphones.
smile_phones.gif

Will you marry me? Hahahha. I love this forum. Yeah that's awesome man. I will definitely do that for sure! Today on the walk home I was noticing that my highs were a bit sibilant and bright so I decided to tame them by bringing the cutoff from 12000 to 10000 and I have already brought the highs down 1.5db to keep them a little tame. I must say the Pro 900 really has changed significantly with burn in. The bass significantly more tame but at the same time more refined. The bass impact has been lessened a bit which is nice consider at first it was causing a bit of (tolerable) resonance). Neat. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back