SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Feb 9, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #631 of 1,093

Quote:
As it turned out, I finally realized that if I were to reset the player to it's original setting, everything will come back. IT's a solution, but not perfect. Really? what the hell is going on with rockbox??

I have no idea...I've been using it since last July, I think, and that doesn't happen to me.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #632 of 1,093
So guys, which one:

Sansa Clip+ > Fiio E5 > BrainWavz M2
ipod Nano> Fiio E5 > BrainWavz M2
HTC Desire HD > Fiio E5 > BrainWavz M2

I already have the Desire HD but I'm looking for a dedicated player.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #633 of 1,093
Throw away that toy amp in my opinion...
devil_face.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #634 of 1,093

Quote:
So guys, which one:

Do you think that the BrainWavz really need an amp? I bought SoundMagic PL30 that came with the Fiio E5, but I can't hear that the Fiio improves anything. The clip+ is plenty loud enough to drive the SoundMagics, and so is the HTC Desire HD. So the Fiio is just in the way. I have used the Fiio and the Desire HD with some old headphones that needs an amp, and that worked OK.

Personally I think that the Clip+ and the SoundMagic phones is a perfect match - the Clip+ even fits inside the pouch that came with the SoundMagics. So it is the smallest portable player/phone combo that you can find. I have used the Desire HD only a few times, and every time some idiot get the brilliant idea that they should call me when I listen to music. That is extremely irritating! I can ignore calls when listening to the Clip+.

The only advantage of the Fiio might be that it can eliminate some of the background noise that the Clip+ w/Rockbox produce when searching the database, according to the Clip+/Rockbox forum at AnythingButIpod. But I can't hear that noise when the music starts anyway.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #635 of 1,093
I don't think a rockboxed clip+ benefits in any significant way from amping. Also allying it with an amp completely tosses out the portability factor, which is one of the dap's strong points.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #636 of 1,093

Quote:

The only advantage of the Fiio might be that it can eliminate some of the background noise that the Clip+ w/Rockbox produce when searching the database, according to the Clip+/Rockbox forum at AnythingButIpod. But I can't hear that noise when the music starts anyway.

I've never heard this noise, and I've been using RB on a Clip+ since last July.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #638 of 1,093

I've got M2s and a recently Rockboxed Clip+, and they work very well together.  No amp required.  Even my Meelec M6s, which are less sensitive than the M2s, can still be driven plenty loud without an amp. 

Out of curiosity, I did once plug the Clip+ into my Fiio E7 (ought to be very similar to using the E5, since running an analog in bypasses the E7's DAC and goes straight to the amp section, which is supposedly very close/identical to the E5) then ran the M2s from the E7.  To be honest, I did not notice any difference compared to running straight from the Clip+.

My wife has an 6th-gen Nano, but I've only ever listened to it a couple of times through the stock earbuds... have not tried any of my IEMs with it.  It sounds nice, but I can't really make a fair comparison.  I will say the Clip+ is an enormously better value for the dollar, if you don't place much importance on having a pretty touch-screen. :)

But anyhow - I think a Rockboxed Clip+ with a fairly big microSD card is a great value.  I'm using an 8 gig Clip+ with an 8 gig microSD added, and that lets me carry around nearly 3000 songs in Ogg Vorbis Q6... not too shabby for something so tiny!

Quote:
So guys, which one:

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #639 of 1,093
Set Up 1 : Foobar2000(vista)->ASIO4All->iBasso D2+ Boa->Beyer DT440
Set Up 2 : Sansa Clip+ 8GB (RB)->Beyer DT440
Set Up 3: Sansa Clip+ 8GB (RB, full volume)->iBasso D2+Boa (generic IC) ->Beyer DT440

Tracks affected : 
William Joseph - Beyond - Track 3 - Leningrad
William Joseph - Beyond - Track 4 - Heroes
William Joseph - Beyond - Track 9 - Return With Honor

The tracks above are in APE format, single file for the entire CD, played using RB only. Somehow, the OF cannot see the folder, nor the APE file, so, i cant play with OF.
I can hear very clear "cracking sound" at some point in the songs above while using Set up 2 and 3. Set up 1 I hardly hear any cracking sound. Other track do exibite some degree of cracking, but not as bad as the 3 tracks above. I've tried reinstalling the RB on Clip+ with all default setting, crossfeed Off, but result is the same. 

What is wrong with my equipment? Or set up?

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #640 of 1,093

Quote:
Set Up 3: Sansa Clip+ 8GB (RB, full volume)->iBasso D2+Boa (generic IC) ->Beyer DT440

Tracks affected : 

The tracks above are in APE format, single file for the entire CD, played using RB only. Somehow, the OF cannot see the folder, nor the APE file, so, i cant play with OF.
I can hear very clear "cracking sound" at some point in the songs above while using Set up 2 and 3. Set up 1 I hardly hear any cracking sound. Other track do exibite some degree of cracking, but not as bad as the 3 tracks above. I've tried reinstalling the RB on Clip+ with all default setting, crossfeed Off, but result is the same. 

The OF doesn't support APE format at all. Just out of curiosity, if you convert those APEs to FLACs, I wonder if the problem would go away?

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #641 of 1,093

Quote:

Tracks affected : 

I have the same problem. I thought I was going crazy. I download most of my stuff from Amazon.

My Setup: Clip+(RB) with M50s

Any tips?

P.S. I only hear this with the music I've downloaded from Amazon. The music I've downloaded from Beatport sounds perfectly clear.

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #642 of 1,093
So, would you guys say that the Clip+ is not a very good sounding player unless it has been Rockboxed?  I have been thinking about picking one up for along time but not so sure that I want Rockbox added to it or not. 

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #644 of 1,093

Quote:
So, would you guys say that the Clip+ is not a very good sounding player unless it has been Rockboxed?  I have been thinking about picking one up for along time but not so sure that I want Rockbox added to it or not. 

It depends on whether or not the EQ is important to you. The stock Clip+ sound with the right set of headphones and the EQ disabled is very good, IMO.....but the stock EQ sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back