SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Jan 31, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #616 of 1,093
Does anyone use clip+ with PFEs? I was thinking about changing my cowon E2 to sansa as a secondary dap. I don't think it would make a good pair with HJE900, but audeo...? What do you think?

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #617 of 1,093
I finally got around to Rockboxing my Clip+ Should of done this as soon as it arrived imo. The original firmware isnt the best for navigation, the skin im using walks all over it! So much more info on the screen and the navigation is a breeze. For some reason everything sounds "Better" aswell... Not sure if my mind is playing tricks. But meh! I will take this one as a "Win"

Definite thumbs up x 2 in my book.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #618 of 1,093
I got this strange problem with my Clip+. Every couple of weeks my rockbox firmware stop recognizing my music files. So, what I had to do is to re-install rock box all over again. Anyone experienced the same problem?

It's always a hassle having to go through this process again. Anyone can help? Thanx!

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #619 of 1,093
Wow, I hate to go against the grain, but I was decidedly underwhelmed by Rockbox on my Clip+, and I've switched back to the original firmware.  2 minutes into the 3rd song I played after Rockboxing, the player locked up and had to be restarted.  Then, when I tried to let it build a database, it would consistently freeze after finding 195 items... never more, never less.  That basically rendered it useless without setting up playlists (which is all well and good, but sometimes I just want to shuffle play all from both internal memory and external MicroSD, something I was unable to do).
Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #620 of 1,093
Sounds very much like you have a corrupt file.  I'm not sure on the best way to find it, others will gladly help.

I personally have an 8GB Clip+ and have have absolutely no problems with mine, granted i'm using the latest "stable" build as opposed to going with just the latest build.  I think mine is full right now and even if I delete an old album and put on a new one, it does it with minimum fuss.

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #621 of 1,093
Now that you mention it, when I first set my Clip+ USB mode to MSC, so I could install Rockbox, Windows flagged 3 corrupt files and supposedly quarantined them via scandisk.  Probably should've mentioned that in my original post...
redface.gif

Well, maybe I'll try to hunt down those bad files, eliminate them, and then try again.  Or I could just wipe the memory completely and re-copy everything (kind of a pain, but probably worth it so I can give Rockbox a fair chance).

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #625 of 1,093

Quote:
Now that you mention it, when I first set my Clip+ USB mode to MSC, so I could install Rockbox, Windows flagged 3 corrupt files and supposedly quarantined them via scandisk.  Probably should've mentioned that in my original post...
redface.gif

Well, maybe I'll try to hunt down those bad files, eliminate them, and then try again.  Or I could just wipe the memory completely and re-copy everything (kind of a pain, but probably worth it so I can give Rockbox a fair chance).

Thanks!

Definitely give it a chance, i love my wee Clip+!  Just as a sidenote, you did use the installer to install Rockbox?

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #626 of 1,093
OK, I re-scanned my MicroSD card with Scandisk and allowed it to automatically fix errors.  I checked the log and saw a couple of specific song files listed, and I went onto the card and deleted them just to be safe.  Now Rockbox is running great.  And I like it!  It's too soon to say whether it sounds noticeably different from the OF (especially since I haven't tried any equalization or plugins).  But once I was able to build a database, I was able to start using the device as I like to.  The initially inscrutable menu system has quickly started to become pretty intuitive.  Little things on the stock theme, like inclusion of a clock and additional playback info, are much appreciated.  So even from my very limited use, I'd say Rockbox is indeed worth it.  :)

Pageygeeza: I did use the installer.

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #627 of 1,093

Quote:
OK, I re-scanned my MicroSD card with Scandisk and allowed it to automatically fix errors.  I checked the log and saw a couple of specific song files listed, and I went onto the card and deleted them just to be safe.  Now Rockbox is running great.  And I like it!  It's too soon to say whether it sounds noticeably different from the OF (especially since I haven't tried any equalization or plugins).  But once I was able to build a database, I was able to start using the device as I like to.  The initially inscrutable menu system has quickly started to become pretty intuitive.  Little things on the stock theme, like inclusion of a clock and additional playback info, are much appreciated.  So even from my very limited use, I'd say Rockbox is indeed worth it.  :)

It shouldn't sound any different without using EQ or any of the other options, I don't think. But the EQ can be tweaked every which way.....change the freq. of the 5 bands, etc. Just for the hell of it, last year, I made my Sennheiser PX100's sound like my Grado SR60i's, and vice versa! (I was really bored that day)
gs1000.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #628 of 1,093

Quote:

Told ya, you'd like it! :p

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #629 of 1,093
I STILL got this strange problem with my Clip+. Every couple of weeks my rockbox firmware stop recognizing my music files. So, what I had to do is to re-install rock box all over again. Anyone experienced the same problem?

IT's really wierd. The playlist would play, the whole album too. But I just can't see the song list, and needless to say, I can't select any songs from the rockbox firmware. I have been pressing home+power switch to reboot with sansa firmware. This sucks. Please,..somebody help!

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #630 of 1,093
As it turned out, I finally realized that if I were to reset the player to it's original setting, everything will come back. IT's a solution, but not perfect. Really? what the hell is going on with rockbox??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back