SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Mar 29, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #886 of 1,093
  Whats up with the buzzing sound when changing tracks, and sometimes mid track too..? It's not present in stock firmware.

IT seems processor working! I perceived it too and is very annoying..

I got it in RB or default. but I have to admit that from all the clips I've owned (quite a few now), on some RB seemed to worsen the buffering noise. but even here there really is no solid rule it seems.

That sounds does not occur on the Clip Zip, just the Clip+. So as soon as RB worked on the Zip, I sold off my two Clip+ and never looked back.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #888 of 1,093
Is it bad I love the sound slightly more out of the clip+ rockboxed over the x5? I love the fiio x5 but its lack of proper eq and bass settings with advanced customizations compared to rockbox makes me not fully appreciate the x5. Doing a lot of A and B testing between the two and I find myself unable to distinguish the two at times. While being able to push the bass pretty damn strong on the clip+. Going to compare both for another week.

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #889 of 1,093
I'm really curious to know, you owned a Sony NWZ-ZX1, could you clearly differentiate it against a rockboxed clip (no enhancement used on both player)?
8/9 times out of 10?

Also I don't know if you are aware of this thread 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/709479/multi-review-hifiman-hm901-fiio-x5-sony-zx1-hisound-studio-3rd-anv-iphone-4
but it  indicates that the differences might be much more subtle than one could think.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #890 of 1,093
Is it bad I love the sound slightly more out of the clip+ rockboxed over the x5? I love the fiio x5 but its lack of proper eq and bass settings with advanced customizations compared to rockbox makes me not fully appreciate the x5. Doing a lot of A and B testing between the two and I find myself unable to distinguish the two at times. While being able to push the bass pretty damn strong on the clip+. Going to compare both for another week. If i find myself jumping on the clip more I mau end up selling the x5. Very surprised to even say that...

My RB Fuze+ holds up pretty close to my RB DX50. The DX50 is a great addition, but cerainly wont be replacing my Fuze+. This makes me respect Sansa's SQ even more.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #891 of 1,093
Doing more a and b comparison and the sound signatures are night and day. But each has its strength. The x5 is a close to perfect player, with more fine tuning in the os it can be an audiophiles dream. But I dont own a large library that needs that warm sound. I listen to a lot of rock, power rock, metal, pop, jpop, techno house and etc. Im a bass head. The x5 has good bass but the lack of manual bass boost doesnt satisfy MY needs. With that said I'll still keep it. Because overtime I come to love my x5 greatly. But like others my sansa player stays on myle still for those times i need the bass boost.

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #892 of 1,093
Hi Everyone!

I'm interested in the Sansa Clip+ w/ Rockbox but I have a couple important questions that I'm hoping someone could answer.

I use the Phillips SHE3590s and there are two specific frequencies that have sharp peaks in the treble that I have to dial down. Can I be very specific with the frequencies I adjust with rockbox?

How is rockbox for handling podcasts?

Is there gapless playback?

Thank you!

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #894 of 1,093
Cool, thanks.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #895 of 1,093
Yes, Not Sure- never tried podcasts, and Yes

Rockbox is good for podcasts.   Just create a folder on the root of the player or the sd card and call it podcasts.   Then set up bookmark on stop for when you turn off or stop playback of a podcast. You can even set rockbox to start on the recent bookmark screen.    Also you can enable timestretch feature which allows you very fine grain control over playback speed.  Most players just let you do 1x 1.3 1.5 etc but on rockbox you can do 1.01 1.02 .103 etc you get the point.   I still think if you listen to a bunch of podcasts that you are better with an ios or android device which can dl them directly to the device while you sleep and delete them automatically upon completion.  If you do insist on syncing with pc though gpodder.org is by far the best program ever for it.  It will add tags, rename the files, and copy them to wherever you want in two clicks

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #896 of 1,093
I've been thinking about getting a Sansa Clip Zip rockboxed but I have a few questions I haven't found the answers yet:

a) Will it be enough to play my Grado SR60i without an amplifier?

b) Can you choose between playing your files from "files" or "database" like in the 160GB classic iPod Rockbox? I'm thinking of buying 64GB SD cards and I've read updating the database takes 20 minutes if you change the SD Card. Not sure if I understand how the Sansa Clip Zip works.

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #897 of 1,093
  I've been thinking about getting a Sansa Clip Zip rockboxed but I have a few questions I haven't found the answers yet:

a) Will it be enough to play my Grado SR60i without an amplifier?

b) Can you choose between playing your files from "files" or "database" like in the 160GB classic iPod Rockbox? I'm thinking of buying 64GB SD cards and I've read updating the database takes 20 minutes if you change the SD Card. Not sure if I understand how the Sansa Clip Zip works.

Thanks!

Hello Aristodrigo,

a) Yes

b) Yes.  I never use the database.  Just cut and paste folders onto the player and browse by folder.  I believe Sansas only go up to 32GB cards.  My 64gb cards were not 'seen' on my Clip+ or FuzeV2 (all RB'ed).

Edit: Some 64GB cards work on some players that don't normally support it, if they are formatted to FAT32.

Cheers!

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #899 of 1,093
  Thank you very much! Are you sure about the 32 GB limit? I think I've read they can even read 128GB cards with Rockbox but they are far too expensive for me.

I will check now for ya.  I never tried to put a 64gb in my Zip, only Clip+ and Fuze V2.

I use my 64gb cards with my DX50 so they are exFat.  I believe I have read, if you re-format to FAT32 they will work.  But I will let u know in a couple if exFat will work

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #900 of 1,093

I will check now for ya.  I never tried to put a 64gb in my Zip, only Clip+ and Fuze V2.

I use my 64gb cards with my DX50 so they are exFat.  I believe I have read, if you re-format to FAT32 they will work.  But I will let u know in a couple if exFat will work

Thank you very much! I'm almost certain I'm going to buy a Clip Zip if it can support 64gb cards. I've read Clip Plus and Clip Zip are identical in terms of performance and battery (8-9 hours) but I think I want to be able to see the covers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back