Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ?
Mar 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #286 of 368
Modern Phones generally should NOT be discharged and charge all in one go but every chance you get get. So Wireless is deal for that. 

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/07/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-way/

I haven't had a contact break. But the mounting to the PCB on these Micro connectors seems to be skimped on, allowing it to flex on some phones. 

Have you had a problem with phones or a Zip ?The one on the Zip seems ok. TBH the earphone jack goes first on these anyway.

Personally I prefer the buttons on the Zip to the clip. 

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #287 of 368
Modern Phones generally should NOT be discharged and charge all in one go but every chance you get get. So Wireless is deal for that.

ftfy

from the linked article:

To get the most out of a lithium-ion battery, you should try to keep it north of 50 per cent as much as possible. Going from all the way full to all the way empty won’t help at all; in fact, it’ll do a little damage and it’s even worse if do a full drain on a regular basis. It won’t make your battery explode or anything, but it will shorten its lifespan.

Your post suggests you know this but made a typo/omission. However, it might not be apparent to a casual reader who would then go and do exactly the wrong thing, probably repeatedly, and seriously diminish both the utility and overall lifespan of their device.

Short version for modern device battery care: keep topping it up, avoid approaching empty, let the OS take care of all the rest of the power management.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #288 of 368
Good catch thanks. Exactly that. 

I wonder do MP3 players and other devices all use the same battery type as Mobile phones through. Hard to find the exact battery specs. 

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #289 of 368
It's safe to assume that any phone, compact camera or tablet or playback device of this type has Lithium-ion/Li Po battery. I can't think of anything that wouldn't except the very few (usually generic and very cheap) products which use AA or AAA cell.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #290 of 368
I have the clip+. Headphone jack is directly coupled and seems more solid than any smartphone or DAP I've ever used. Same with the mini usb port, after a couple of years it's as solid as ever. I've had TWO micro usb jacks fail on Samsung smartphones. One, those tiny little tabs folded up one day when plugging it in. Data transfer was impossible, could only charge. Second phone the jack simply quit working unless you sit and apply a ton of force on the plug. Now the ones on my two Lumia phones seem somewhat solid as they lock in with a solid 'click'. Trust me tho the first time you jam the tab down and have to lift it with a tiny screwdriver or you accidentally bend those tiny contacts up, you'll see how ridiculously fragile micro USB is. These are problems you never find with mini USB.

Wireless charging is great if you don't leave the house. Unfortunately I don't have charge pads spread across all the places I go. (work/car/work vehicle, etc.). However I DO have charge cords.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #291 of 368
I have been trying to Rockbox my Clip+ on my Windows 7 laptop but the strange thing is that it is never assigned a mount letter, although it does register as an external device and there is ready access to its files. I did not have this problem, though, with Rockboxing my Fuze+ which showed mounting letters for the Fuze itself and the installed microsd card.
When I use the Rockbox utility, it needs that mount letter in order to proceed with installation. I do not have a microsd card in my Clip+ when I attempt this, btw. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #292 of 368
  I have been trying to Rockbox my Clip+ on my Windows 7 laptop but the strange thing is that it is never assigned a mount letter, although it does register as an external device and there is ready access to its files. I did not have this problem, though, with Rockboxing my Fuze+ which showed mounting letters for the Fuze itself and the installed microsd card.
When I use the Rockbox utility, it needs that mount letter in order to proceed with installation. I do not have a microsd card in my Clip+ when I attempt this, btw. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

You need to make sure that in the original sandisk OS you choose in the settings usb mode MSC (USB Mass Storage) instead of MTP (also known as Windows Media Sync mode or Kies mode on some phones).
Then you can connect it to your computer and it should assign a letter to the device.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #293 of 368
Thank you, that's all the info I needed. I'd like to announce a successful installation of Rockbox on my Cip+ and the first thing I noticed is that when I selected my CoastToCoastAM podcasts, I actually got the name of the guest in the title instead of just the date. I was very happy when I saw that! Oh....yes.... I still am....lolz.
Actually I had already Rockboxed my Fuze+ but have become a bit absent-minded so I missed that info, but thanks, I needed the reminder.

You are well-named: You ARE a Force Majeure

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #294 of 368
  Thank you, that's all the info I needed. I'd like to announce a successful installation of Rockbox on my Cip+ and the first thing I noticed is that when I selected my CoastToCoastAM podcasts, I actually got the name of the guest in the title instead of just the date. I was very happy when I saw that! Oh....yes.... I still am....lolz.
Actually I had already Rockboxed my Fuze+ but have become a bit absent-minded so I missed that info, but thanks, I needed the reminder.

You are well-named: You ARE a Force Majeure

No problem, 
I am glad it all workout.

About the "getting the name instead of just the date in the title" is probably due to the ID3tag of the file if its in the Tag it will appear also not all Themes in Rockbox will show the information in ID3tags actually it's one part of the Theme called WPS (While Playing Screen).
So you can change the Theme or the WPS in the Theme settings and check if it workout for the Fuze+.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #295 of 368
  No problem, 
I am glad it all workout.

About the "getting the name instead of just the date in the title" is probably due to the ID3tag of the file if its in the Tag it will appear also not all Themes in Rockbox will show the information in ID3tags actually it's one part of the Theme called WPS (While Playing Screen).
So you can change the Theme or the WPS in the Theme settings and check if it workout for the Fuze+.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I must have somehow chosen the right theme to download onto my player. Lucky me! I was hoping also, when looking around for themes that there would be more colorful ones, but I guess the device is limited to the native colors of the clip+. Am I right?

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #296 of 368
Yes the clip+ has a limited old school LCD screen, but that has always been part of its charm for me!

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #297 of 368
Yes the clip+ has a limited old school LCD screen, but that has always been part of its charm for me!

Yes, I can relate to what you say about charm. I somehow was feeling that for the old Fuze before the + sign was added. I was soon to be disillusioned seeing some being sold on Amazon for about $400, I'm not kidding! What the.....???

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #298 of 368

Yes, I can relate to what you say about charm. I somehow was feeling that for the old Fuze before the + sign was added. I was soon to be disillusioned seeing some being sold on Amazon for about $400, I'm not kidding! What the.....???

I totally get what you mean. I was basically in love with my fuze til the day it died and heartbroken when I discovered sandisk discountinued them! Whyyy?? They would outsell friggin ipods if they brought em back!

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #299 of 368
  I totally get what you mean. I was basically in love with my fuze til the day it died and heartbroken when I discovered sandisk discountinued them! Whyyy?? They would outsell friggin ipods if they brought em back!

Not a chance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back