Samsung Galaxy S3... wow.
Aug 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #61 of 151
But the UK version does
gs1000.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #62 of 151
Is there a huge difference in SQ between the international and US variants? Obviously the Wolfson DAC makes a difference, but I am wondering if the other one is not very good. The US sort of got shafted on this phone with dual core, and now no Wolfson :p. At least we have LTE. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #63 of 151
Quote:
Is there a huge difference in SQ between the international and US variants? Obviously the Wolfson DAC makes a difference, but I am wondering if the other one is not very good. The US sort of got shafted on this phone with dual core, and now no Wolfson :p. At least we have LTE. 

I have an AT&T garnet red one and an international one also, will have a proper listen to them both at some point soon and drop some thoughts.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #65 of 151
Quote:
I heard that the 32gb model doesn't have contiguous memory for music, that it's split with half available for apps and half for music and other files. Is that correct?

No, that will not be correct. That is not how it works on ICS, it *should* be all contiguous memory. I will check with some users to confirm.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #66 of 151
Quote:

I traded my iPhone 4 for an S3 a couple of days ago (AT&T) - the distortion out of the headphone jack is pretty bad...  If I don't find a solution I don't think I can live with this phone...

Drew 

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #67 of 151
Quote:

I traded my iPhone 4 for an S3 a couple of days ago (AT&T) - the distortion out of the headphone jack is pretty bad...  If I don't find a solution I don't think I can live with this phone...

Drew 

1. Try a better music player, Android is not iOS and allows replacing stock apps.
2. Try a DAC/ Amp.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #68 of 151
Quote:

1. Try a better music player, Android is not iOS and allows replacing stock apps.
2. Try a DAC/ Amp.

A better music player won't help unfortunately, the issue affects all audio output that goes through the kernel mixer and a USB DAC is not an acceptable portable solution for me.

Drew

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #69 of 151
Quote:

Drew 

Oh well. It's not that big of a deal for me, as I have no qualms with carrying an iPod 5.5g + Fiio E11 (soon to be upgraded), along with some IEM's and headphones. Sucks though, as I was hoping for the S3 to be great all around, but I will only be using it for Youtube videos, so it's fine. Also, how does the international S3's DAC compare to the iPod 5.5g? The 5.5g sounds awesome, but is the newer Wolfson DAC better? I would assume since they are so space limited, they might have had to make some compromises, so if someone could enlighten me, that would be great.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #70 of 151
Quote:
Oh well. It's not that big of a deal for me, as I have no qualms with carrying an iPod 5.5g + Fiio E11 (soon to be upgraded), along with some IEM's and headphones. Sucks though, as I was hoping for the S3 to be great all around, but I will only be using it for Youtube videos, so it's fine. Also, how does the international S3's DAC compare to the iPod 5.5g? The 5.5g sounds awesome, but is the newer Wolfson DAC better? I would assume since they are so space limited, they might have had to make some compromises, so if someone could enlighten me, that would be great.

I have the international S3, and I can say its pretty good for a phone. The clarity and soundstage are both very good.
I'd say some may even like the sound over iPod.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #71 of 151
Quote:

I have the international S3, and I can say its pretty good for a phone. The clarity and soundstage are both very good.
I'd say some may even like the sound over iPod. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #72 of 151
Quote:

Drew 

I don't know the ipod 5.5g, but to me s3 internetional vers is vastly superior than my ipod touch 3 gen.
The quality is very near if no equal to Sony z 1000 serie.
This is my subjettive impression.
Assuming to have siyhas kernel on s3.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #73 of 151
Unfortunately I HAD the experience of owning the s3. Compared to my old iPhone4 and iPod 2g the s3 is terrible for music through headphones. I believe it has something to do with the internal volume being cranked too loud. The distortion with 16ohm headphones with music, especially during quiet passages at low volume is unacceptable. Ive read the output impedance for this device is over 3 ohms (apples stuff is usually 1 or less)I cashed out on this phone while it's still at a premium. I might try the htc one x or wait for the iPhone 5. Btw I'm not a troll/apple fanboy.
I've tried different roms/kernels with no avail, it's just a poor audio device. This phone is 101% objectively worse than any iPhone in terms of audio quality.

Just my experience and warning to anyone considering this device.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #74 of 151
Unfortunately I HAD the experience of owning the s3. Compared to my old iPhone4 and iPod 2g the s3 is terrible for music through headphones. I believe it has something to do with the internal volume being cranked too loud. The distortion with 16ohm headphones with music, especially during quiet passages at low volume is unacceptable. Ive read the output impedance for this device is over 3 ohms (apples stuff is usually 1 or less)I cashed out on this phone while it's still at a premium. I might try the htc one x or wait for the iPhone 5. Btw I'm not a troll/apple fanboy.
I've tried different roms/kernels with no avail, it's just a poor audio device. This phone is 101% objectively worse than any iPhone in terms of audio quality.
Just my experience and warning to anyone considering this device.

Would be good if you specified the version you had as international is different than what bs carriers serve in the us.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #75 of 151
I have the North American Version (747) and while the sound quality is not as amazing as the Z1000 (Sony) it is good enough for me to sell the Z1000 and go to just using one device. Overall I think the NA version sounds quite good actually. Primarily been using Poweramp as the player. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back