Samsung Galaxy S3... wow.
Jun 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #16 of 151
Has anyone had a chance to do a side by side comparison with the iPhone 4s?

I have one but considering getting an s3, the screensize of the iPhone just doesn't work for me anymore. Only thing holding me back is audio quality… (and the ability to go LOD -> amp)
Also: my first post here after several years of lurking 
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #17 of 151
Quote:

I have one but considering getting an s3, the screensize of the iPhone just doesn't work for me anymore. Only thing holding me back is audio quality… (and the ability to go LOD -> amp)
L3000.gif

I had a listen with a demo unit at the phone store, lots of hiss with my TF10's.

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #19 of 151
Quote:

L3000.gif

Partner has a 4s and I have the S3, listened to some tracks on both using my W4 and FX700.  To my ears I prefer the S3, fuller sound with a bit more detail overall.

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #20 of 151
Quote:
Partner has a 4s and I have the S3, listened to some tracks on both using my W4 and FX700.  To my ears I prefer the S3, fuller sound with a bit more detail overall.

This is basically my assessment (although I have a 4 and not a 4s). My SM-3's always sounded veiled with the iPhone, but with the S3 the  high-end clarity and sparkle is back. Absolutely no hissing whatsoever with poweramp. 

gary

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 151
Quote:
what would be the best dac/amp to use when my s3 arrives i just enjoy the heck out of my srh840

The new leckerton uha-6s.mkii seems like it would be the best or one of the best IF it's dac section can be utilized through the S3's usb line-out.  The iPad can use its dac through its camera kit, since its self-powered, and so I would expect that the s3 should work with the uha6s.mkii as well.

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #23 of 151
Quote:

This is basically my assessment (although I have a 4 and not a 4s). My SM-3's always sounded veiled with the iPhone, but with the S3 the  high-end clarity and sparkle is back. Absolutely no hissing whatsoever with poweramp. 

gary

Quote:
I had a listen with a demo unit at the phone store, lots of hiss with my TF10's.

Quote:

THanks for the information, a bit of treble sparkle should be nice with my TMA1's. I will definitely try to have a listen to the S3 now, haven't seen many out the wild yet though.

Also just found this thread: apparently, some USB DAC's now work with the S3. Very interesting phone 
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614111/finally-digital-out-for-galaxy-siii

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #24 of 151
Quote:
The new leckerton uha-6s.mkii seems like it would be the best or one of the best IF it's dac section can be utilized through the S3's usb line-out.  The iPad can use its dac through its camera kit, since its self-powered, and so I would expect that the s3 should work with the uha6s.mkii as well.

As he said, IF it works with the S3. Btw, the eckerton uha-6s.mkii will only playback at 16-bit/48kHz over usb.

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #26 of 151
You can't on the stateside model because the US versions don't have the Wolfson chip. Supercurio (maker of voodoo) hasn't said if he will support the US versions or not. They use an entirely different chip set from Qualcom.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #27 of 151
Quote:
You can't on the stateside model because the US versions don't have the Wolfson chip. Supercurio (maker of voodoo) hasn't said if he will support the US versions or not. They use an entirely different chip set from Qualcom.

I don't think he will support them, he said earlier he would IF they used Wolfsons but that has been proven not to be the case.

Interesting to hear others thoughts on the S3 SQ Vs the iPhone, I thought basically the opposite.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #28 of 151
Quote:
Does anyone know if you can instal voodo on the s3?

It will be available at some point fairly soon for the S3, but not quite yet. Following Supercurio in Twitter is the best way to keep track on his development :)

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #30 of 151
I havent loaded any files on the s3 yet, but it was a pleasant surprize to find out the IEM's they came with sounded shockingly decent. No bass shenanigans here

PS: Sprint version here; not getting my hopes up for audio quality :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back