Samsung Galaxy S Sound Quality
Jul 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #181 of 257
Quote:
Thanks a tone, guys. Would you consider the sound of the Galaxy S 4.0 + Voodoo + Power Amp superior to a Sony A865? I love the sound of this player but they cost almost the same so I wouldn't like to make a big mistake. I still have 10 days to return the A865, so time enough to test the Galaxy S 4.0 + Voodoo though.

One thing: Sony doesn't support FLAC or any lossless audio codecs (except for WAV, which guzzles down memory like there's no tomorrow), so you're stuck with lossy music. As to the SQ, I cannot comment as I've never heard that particular model. 

Also, the UI looks to be a bit dated, not to mention the fact that it uses a resistive screen; navigating seems to be a bit difficult?

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #182 of 257
Quote:

One thing: Sony doesn't support FLAC or any lossless audio codecs (except for WAV, which guzzles down memory like there's no tomorrow), so you're stuck with lossy music. As to the SQ, I cannot comment as I've never heard that particular model. 

Also, the UI looks to be a bit dated, not to mention the fact that it uses a resistive screen; navigating seems to be a bit difficult?

The A865/6/7 is not a resistive screen, it is capacitive. And it is very easy to navigate through the ~55GB of music that I have on my A867 (5,900 tracks). There is an alphabet browsing capability in the menu.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #183 of 257
And the SQ guys, what about the SQ compared to the A865? :) This is to avoid spending 180€ and all the hassle, if it is not worth it. Although I LOVE the Galaxy. That 5" screen must be a must for the internet.  

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #187 of 257
I just Voodoo'ed my Galaxy S and I must say the sound is phenomenal. I also own a Z series Sony Walkman, which has better sound that the iPod Classic, which I also own. The Voodoo'd Galaxy sh@ts on both of these. Best 4 bucks I ever spent.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #188 of 257
I might buy a friends galaxy s wifi 5 and currently using an um3x + Senn. Amperior. So I'd like to know if that Galaxy can be voododed and would it be a worth upgrade over x1061 or iphone 4 (x is about to go) in terms of SQ.

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #189 of 257
For a specific Samsung Galaxy device, I'd check on XDA Developers to see what the development status is for the phone in question. In many custom ROMs and kernels, the Wolfson driver is already in the kernel and can be accessed by either Voodoo or DSP Manager (WM8994 tab, on my phone). As you might imagine, Voodoo Sound and Voodoo Sound Plus are available from the Play store. DSP Manager is already present on many CyanogenMod-based builds.

Note that "Voodoo lag fix" is something entirely different than the audio-chain fix -- it involves not using Samsung's proprietary filesystem and can speed up many older "stock-based" ROMs. For most current custom ROMs and kernels, they already don't use Samsung's filesystem, so "lag fix" isn't needed.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #190 of 257
After rave about the Galaxy S I had decided to get one as I did not wish to carry around 2 different devices in my pocket and just wanted all in one.  I have to say the Galaxy S has Excellent sound quality!!.  After installing Voodoo the sound just got better.  I would say I really prefer this over my Sony X-series.  Also the benefit of EQs is also a big plus as you are limited to five band on the X-series.  One thing I really find great about is when using PowerAmp it has a Channel Balance option as at times volume in my right ear drops a bit and creates a unbalanced volume but now I can just balance it out :)

I would not say at the moment if has a better Sound Quality then the X-series as I just recieved the Galaxy S today, so it might take some time know wether it is better then the X-series.  One thing for sure is it louder then the X-series after installing Voodoo and it seems to have better Sound Stage as well.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #191 of 257
Finally get the ultimate combo - Galaxy S + Voodoo Sound + Neutron Music Player v1.59
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #192 of 257
I've got Voodoo installed on my Galaxy S i9000. When I launch the app, it doesn't appear in the running apps window. I don't think it is running because I don't notice a difference in sound. Can anyone help?

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #193 of 257
Quote:
I've got Voodoo installed on my Galaxy S i9000. When I launch the app, it doesn't appear in the running apps window. I don't think it is running because I don't notice a difference in sound. Can anyone help?

Uninstall and re-install it from the Playstore.  You can also check if it is working by increasing the volume high in the control and you will notice if it is working.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #194 of 257
Quote:
Finally get the ultimate combo - Galaxy S + Voodoo Sound + Neutron Music Player v1.59
beerchug.gif

+1...  that is also my exact combination ^ .Voodoo sound just seems to turn up the amps power and Neutron player is just able to get the best out of the Wolfson....  It still makes the hair on my neck stand on end every time I insert my TF10's!  It blows all other players I've ever owned out the water,.... ipods, iphones, Sony x series, it wastes them all.... no contest.
I'd love to hear a direct comparison with a really high end player to see how well it stacks up.

For anyone considering buying any of the galaxy S media players please be aware that they most likely will not ever be voodoo'd.  Supercurio was going to release a version of Voodoo sound for the Galaxy 4.2 player but canned it as not worth the hassle after encountering some kernal issues. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #195 of 257
Quote:

+1...  that is also my exact combination ^ .Voodoo sound just seems to turn up the amps power and Neutron player is just able to get the best out of the Wolfson....  It still makes the hair on my neck stand on end every time I insert my TF10's!  It blows all other players I've ever owned out the water,.... ipods, iphones, Sony x series, it wastes them all.... no contest.
I'd love to hear a direct comparison with a really high end player to see how well it stacks up.

For anyone considering buying any of the galaxy S media players please be aware that they most likely will not ever be voodoo'd.  Supercurio was going to release a version of Voodoo sound for the Galaxy 4.2 player but canned it as not worth the hassle after encountering some kernal issues. 

I agree it has very good sound quality and comes very close to the X-series.  It is hard to choose which is better as they both sound great  but  for me the i9000 wins hands down do to the EQ options.  I can finally turn the sub-bass up and tune down the heavy mid bass hump on the IE8 and it just sounds amazing to hear the sub bass.  I use Poweramp, which is only app I paid for on Playstore :D

The ROM I use is X-bean 3.  It is the best ROM so far with the Xperia launcher, very fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back