Samsung Galaxy S Sound Quality
Apr 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #211 of 257
Would be a night and day difference in terms of dynamics, control of bass extensions and volume. While my Samsung Note can push much higher volume than my Ipod classic. the sound quality is not very good to begin with and gets much worse as you try to push the volume. I have the M50's bigger brother 700MkII and driving that from the Samsung is a waste of time for me anyway. Going back and forth from my desktop headphone amp to the Samsung is unbearable.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #214 of 257
You wanted to say that I bought a used Galaxy S for 85 dollars last week just to use as a DAP. I've owned a Nexus S previously and sold it to buy a Galaxy S2. Since then I've been missing the sound quality that came out of the wolfson chip. I installed CyanAOSP on the device which is a very clean and basic android 4.3 rom and I'm using the Semaphore kernel which has voodoo sound in it. Disabled all of the communications, disabled most apps, installed GoneMAD music player/voodoo sound/viper4android and that's it. I get about a month of standby time and more than a day of music listening, awesome.

I'm using it with a 64GB Samsung micro-sd card and my beloved HIFIMAN RE-262 IEM's with custom tips. The Galaxy S doesn't seem to have a lot of difficulty driving the 150Ohm 262's so that's dandy. I use voodoo sound's hardware bass EQ to add some base to the 262's and viper4android for the clarity function it has to boost the highs a bit.

Just wanted to share this, my first post here!

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #215 of 257
  You wanted to say that I bought a used Galaxy S for 85 dollars last week just to use as a DAP. I've owned a Nexus S previously and sold it to buy a Galaxy S2. Since then I've been missing the sound quality that came out of the wolfson chip. I installed CyanAOSP on the device which is a very clean and basic android 4.3 rom and I'm using the Semaphore kernel which has voodoo sound in it. Disabled all of the communications, disabled most apps, installed GoneMAD music player/voodoo sound/viper4android and that's it. I get about a month of standby time and more than a day of music listening, awesome.

I'm using it with a 64GB Samsung micro-sd card and my beloved HIFIMAN RE-262 IEM's with custom tips. The Galaxy S doesn't seem to have a lot of difficulty driving the 150Ohm 262's so that's dandy. I use voodoo sound's hardware bass EQ to add some base to the 262's and viper4android for the clarity function it has to boost the highs a bit.

Just wanted to share this, my first post here!

Same here.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate.  Had it for about 3 years. I turned it into an audio device.  Disabled/uninstalled everything.  Only things installed are Spotify, I Heart Radio, Pandora, Poweramp,  Runing CM 10.2 nightlies.  Android 4.3.1  Definately a good audio player.  My main drain is WiFi.  I tend to stream a lot of music.  I'm also runing a 64GB SD card in the phone. :p

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #216 of 257
I was compelled to buy a T-Mobile Galaxy S4 in late July when my Epic 4G (Sprint Galaxy S) topped itself and would not be resurrected. Sprint deigned not to repair or replace it.  Suffice to grumble they're on my list and will soon feel the effects of my menacing waddle.

The S4 is utterly boss and keen on in terms of its screen and USB audio, but as a standalone music player, it's pants compared to the original GS.  I have to use a HiFiMeDIY Tiny DAC at work because the S4's kazoo-like amp distorts even at relatively low volumes. Listening to it is like hearing someone hum while wearing a wax paper mask.

I'm very happy about the digital audio option, but I do wish my original Galaxy S still functioned.  I miss the sound of Neutron through Voodoo through the Wolf's son.

And speaking of odd spellings of familiar terms:

Derbies off to the gentleman who spoke of Neutron's UI as being "anoying" -- a deft combination of annoying and anal, which perfectly describes the least attractive aspects of Neutron's UI (though I'd add brilliantly versatile to its mix (as it were)).

I'm still trying to decide whether Neutron's UI annoys my anal side or is itself annoying in an anal way. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #217 of 257
Too bad the S4 doesn't sound all that great though I'd wish my Galaxy S or my daily phone had a functioning USB DAC option just to be able to try some different dac's and amps.

I tried using Neutron for a while but I couldn't get used to the interface and I didn't hear any difference in SQ on my HiFiMan RE-262's so I just stuck with Gone Mad Player. Does anybody know what the output impedance of the Galaxy S is, I can't find it anywhere.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #218 of 257
I've been playing music on my s4 (i9505), was wondering if anyone knows what the output in terms of power is? I'm trying to figure what loudness setting is good for 'safe' hearing, since max is clearly way too loud.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #219 of 257
  I've been playing music on my s4 (i9505), was wondering if anyone knows what the output in terms of power is? I'm trying to figure what loudness setting is good for 'safe' hearing, since max is clearly way too loud.

Besides device power output, your earphones output in Db is also partly dependant on its sensitivity and impedance. Safe listening levels are measured in Db by an SPL meter and are each determined by the length of exposure time by OSHA. 

Really good article on the subject here- http://headwize.com/?page_id=266

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #220 of 257

Besides device power output, your earphones output in Db is also partly dependant on its sensitivity and impedance. Safe listening levels are measured in Db by an SPL meter and are each determined by the length of exposure time by OSHA. 

Really good article on the subject here- http://headwize.com/?page_id=266

I know my earphones have a sensitivity of 119dB/mW, and 36 ohm impedance. I figured I should be able to calculate what the dB is assuming max volume is the maximum output of the phone

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #221 of 257
Could anyone tell me if it's woth to get a Galaxy Nexus or S1? I already have the Clip+ and the best earphones I have -I guess- are the Monoprices and Sennheiser HD439. Also used to connect to my stereo set.

Is it voodoo'd much better or somewhat the same and not worth the extra spending? As a student I rather dont buy it if the difference is small.

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #222 of 257
If you're pinching pennies, I wouldn't do it. The difference is audible, but you're better off saving that cash for better headphones. (I love the sound of the early Galaxy S but in terms of processing power aftermarket ROM support and development on XDA, it's becoming a bit long in the tooth.)

If you're in the market for a smartphone as a player *and you want to use it as a phone as well*, I'd recommend a Galaxy Note 2. All Note 2 versions have identical hardware, with an Exynos processor and a Wolfson Media 1811 DAC. It has strong aftermarket support with the equivalent of Voodoo Sound built into several kernels (Perseus, N.E.A.K., and Devil kernels, for example). Also, it has excellent USB-OTG compatibility and can output a digital signal to a wide variety of portable & desktop DACs, amps, and DAC/amp combos. The stock Note 2 DAC sounds just as good as the Galaxy S's 8994 and it's amp is slightly more powerful once hardware amp control is enabled. USB-OTG support allows improvement even beyond that.

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #223 of 257
Well, I already have a phone. And I should be able to get a used SGS for around 40 dollars.... but yeah, I wont be upgrading my IEMs or cans in the near future. My sansa /is/ dieing slowly as i cant turn the jack in the headphone out because I might lose signal in one ear. So in a few months I will have to decide; new Sansa or used SGS? And then which would you recommend? Is it really better? Is it as flat (really like the flat Sansa output).

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #224 of 257
Well, I already have a phone. And I should be able to get a used SGS for around 40 dollars.... but yeah, I wont be upgrading my IEMs or cans in the near future. My sansa /is/ dieing slowly as i cant turn the jack in the headphone out because I might lose signal in one ear. So in a few months I will have to decide; new Sansa or used SGS? And then which would you recommend? Is it really better? Is it as flat (really like the flat Sansa output).

A rooted SGS with Voodoo is great; after upgrading my phone, I kept it as a PMP. It's the only smartphone I haven't sold during an upgrade. It is quite flat, to my liking. I usually listen to it with Yuin PK3s or Senn HD25-IIs, no amp. Those combos are really crisp and clear, great separation of instruments. Bonus for the SGS: Since it's mostly in the house, I also keep it as a dedicated Skype phone, connected to my home wireless connection.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #225 of 257

Unfortunately, it's not really as cut and dry as one being entirely better than the other.

It *can* be better than the Sansa. The amp in the SGS is much better than the amp in the Clip, especially with Voodoo Sound. IMHO: If you don't plan on voodooing it and plan to use it stock, I wouldn't bother buying one. Subjectively, I found the WM8994 is (only mildly) warmer than the Clip...but not distractingly so and not to the detriment of detail extraction. 

As with most android players, the software music player you choose will have a largest impact on the sound quality of the player (behind DAC/Amp implementation and floor noise from shielding.) On android machines, you'll have to make trade-offs for: player performance, UI features/aesthetics, and audio fidelity. 

I find Neutron and USB Audio Player Pro to be the two best sounding players. However: Because of the single core processor in the SGS, it stutters on Neutron if you are running FLAC or ALAC files and have some of it's more processor intensive settings on. (To avoid this, I just re-encoded mobile files as 320 bitrate lame mp3's.) UAPP just plain won't install on any machine that doesn't have USB-OTG capability, regardless of whether or not you intend on using a USB DAC. Both Neutron and UAPP have ****ty user interfaces though. Beyond that, I find PlayerPro, RocketPlayer, DoubleTwist, GoneMad, JetAudio and Poweramp to all sound a little worse than the other two - but are more or less equivalent to each other. Poweramp runs the smoothest on the SGS though and has, IMO, the best user interface and appearance customization options. 

TLDR: if you are using IEM's or headphones that will benefit from the more powerful amp, the SGS will definitely sound better than the Clip. If you don't, then whether or not the SGS will be a sonic improvement will depend on a few things:

- If you are comfortable enough with the Android operating system that you can unlock your bootloader and install a streamlined custom rom, you can get Neutron to run respectably - without processor intensive features. SlimBean is probably my favorite in this regard as it strips out everything superfluous. SGS + Neutron > Clip in terms of sound quality. It's a solid improvement. 

- Using any of the other android music players, with headphones that don't benefit from amping, I found that the sound quality of the SGS1 vs the Clip is pretty much a wash. I wouldn't buy the SGS as an upgrade to the Clip in that regard, because the difference is just too small. 

But if your Sansa is going to die anyway: for most applications, I found it was just nicer to have the SGS's AMOLED screen and robust build quality (especially for the AT&T SGS Captivate, which has a nice metal back plate. It's probably my favorite in the original SGS lineup.). For most uses, the SGS is just a really nice player from perspective of usability/quality-of-life. The exception being running and fitness, which the Sansa excels at because of it's easy shirt clip and low weight. If you can get one in nice shape for $40 and can put voodoo on it, go for it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back