Samsung Galaxy S Sound Quality
Jun 1, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #166 of 257
Quote:
+1 for poweramp.  the ONLY app I've paid for on the android market.  Well worth it

-1 for poweramp, lol.
Lot's of people like it, but I don't think I've seen a worse player on my Samsung Droid Charge.  It would crash like a drunken grandma, and just having the EQ or Tone controls toggled on, but with no adjustments, takes a noticeable hit on SQ.  I tried multiple versions on multiple ROMs, but still had issues.  With all fairness, perhaps the latest update works.  Also, it lists a large number of my files with goofy characters.  It also seems to hate CIFS mounted shares in my SD card folders. 
I actually use Mortplayer primarily if I'm not looking to EQ.  I like Mortplayer's nice browsing and speed.  CIFS mounts show up fine and the file names work normally.  If you need to tailor your sound, I still don't think Neutron can be beat. 

*EDIT*  Poweramp seems to have resolved most of the issues I've had with the later versions.  Overall, it is a good player, but I prefer to leave the tone and EQ controls off all the way.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #167 of 257
Just got my mom's Galaxy S 4G after she upgraded to the S2 and I must say with the Voodoo kernel the phone sounds better than it did stock. Only problem is now I'm forced to carry an additional battery with me as the battery life with the kernel is very poor.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #168 of 257
Quote:
Just got my mom's Galaxy S 4G after she upgraded to the S2 and I must say with the Voodoo kernel the phone sounds better than it did stock. Only problem is now I'm forced to carry an additional battery with me as the battery life with the kernel is very poor.

Really? That's weird, since the battery—

Oh wait, you're still on a stock ROM, aren't you? If you don't mind flashing a custom ROM, CM7 and Darky's ROM (which already has Voodoo integrated into the kernel) sound WAY better than stock, while also improving on the battery life.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #170 of 257
I just checked the Samsung Galaxy II HD and soundquality is realy good, highly recommended for soundquality alone and it has great set of features.

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #171 of 257
Also recently got the Galaxy S2 and while it's audio isn't quite as good as the Galaxy S with the Voodoo mod, it certainly isn't all that bad. Thinking of modding my old phone into a dedicated portable player and trying out a few custom roms.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #172 of 257
Iam so far impressed with soundquality of  Nokia Lumia 900, Sony Xperia S, Samsung Galaxy S II HD, Galaxy Note. These all are crisp clear sounding phones(Lumia900, Xperia S has dead silent background noise, both are great sounding) with great set of features.

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #173 of 257
I'm using the stock Gingerbread ROM however using a kernel that is very close to stock, just with the voodoo lagfix which should include voodoo sound and a few other tweaks. For battery life, performance, and the closest thing I can get to vanilla Gingerbreak, what ROM's do you guys suggest? I'm using Galaxy S 4G which AFAIK has most ROM's made for Galaxy S.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #174 of 257
Can you guys tell me if Vodoo works on the Samsung Galaxy S MP3 player, or just the Galaxy S phone? Would need to know this urgently. Thanks.

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #175 of 257
Quote:
Can you guys tell me if Vodoo works on the Samsung Galaxy S MP3 player, or just the Galaxy S phone? Would need to know this urgently. Thanks.

From what I remember, the Galaxy Player 5.0 and 4.0 both support Voodoo kernels, as they both have Wolfson chips and similar hardware (save for the 5.0 having a mammoth screen).

You'll probably have to take a look over at XDA to find out for certain, though.

Good luck, mate!

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #176 of 257
Quote:

No voodoo on the 5.0. It has a different DAC in it from the phone and the 4.0 media player.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #177 of 257
Quote:
From what I remember, the Galaxy Player 5.0 and 4.0 both support Voodoo kernels, as they both have Wolfson chips and similar hardware (save for the 5.0 having a mammoth screen).

You'll probably have to take a look over at XDA to find out for certain, though.

Good luck, mate!

Wrong only the 4.0 has that DAC. I use voodoo sound on my 4.0 and it works just fine :)

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #179 of 257
Quote:

Well then, I apologize for unintentionally dissemination misleading information :))
... Sorry, I have a weird sense of humor :p

Anyway, what DAC does the Player 5.0 use, then?

I might be making the same mistake as you right now but I remember hearing the 5.0 being based off of the GS II so it is very likely that it has the Yamaha DAC inside of it. The one found inferior to the Wolfson DAC that as you know, everybody loves.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #180 of 257
Thanks a tone, guys. Would you consider the sound of the Galaxy S 4.0 + Voodoo + Power Amp superior to a Sony A865? I love the sound of this player but they cost almost the same so I wouldn't like to make a big mistake. I still have 10 days to return the A865, so time enough to test the Galaxy S 4.0 + Voodoo though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back