Samsung Galaxy S Sound Quality
May 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #136 of 257
People here might be interested to know that Supercurio confirms the S3 has Wolfson :) I'm stoked.

May 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #138 of 257
Quote:
Yeah, I saw that but I still haven't seen hard proof like a tear down of the Galaxy S3 or official specs although I know  Samsung used the same DAC in the new Galaxy Tab 2 http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/audio_hubs/WM1811/, so it's probably true that they've ditched yamaha for wolfson again 

Proof here, Supercurio got a Voodoo Report from one of the S3s being demo'd at the launch event:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uHMkJwXFqVT3Di2JwILUnNCsqa8styA8T3y4RtTpcv8/edit?pli=1

May 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #140 of 257
Yup, Supercurio has confirmed Voodoo Sound works on Galaxy III. I quote from his document :

Audio codec:

Wolfson Micro WM1811
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/audio_hubs/WM1811/
100dB SNR Class W Heapdhone amp output, ReTune DSP, 3x digital interface.

Like WM8994 in Galaxy S / Nexus S, except:
-  1x stereo DAC instead of 2x.
-  2x 2W Speaker amp instead of 2x 1W
Smaller and probably cheaper, same sound quality expected.

Native sampling rate: 44100 Hz. It means music played will be sent as-is to the DAC instead of being processed by a software up-sampling routine as it is on Galaxy Nexus or other devices with codecs accepting only 48000 Hz.

Confirmed Voodoo Sound capable.

May 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #143 of 257
Yeah, voodoo sound is in the kernel. I use Slim ICS and Devil kernel because I don't like the implementation in CM9 kernel of voodoo sound in the dsp manager app instead of the voodoo sound app. Slim ICS is the best ROM - I've tested all of them and it has the least amount of junk to slow it down. 

May 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #145 of 257
Quote:
Yeah, voodoo sound is in the kernel. I use Slim ICS and Devil kernel because I don't like the implementation in CM9 kernel of voodoo sound in the dsp manager app instead of the voodoo sound app. Slim ICS is the best ROM - I've tested all of them and it has the least amount of junk to slow it down. 

I flashed Slim ICS but Voodoo Control Plus complains that my kernel doesn't have kernel. What gives????

May 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #146 of 257
Non of the ICS ROMs support the loading of the voodoo module. They do have voodoo dound in the kernel, so the loading of the module is not necessary though. The issue is that the CM9 devs are implementing the voodoo sound options in their DSP Manager app and I hate that - just flash Devil kernel and the vsoodoo sound app will work again.

May 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #147 of 257
FYI my galaxy s fascinate with ICS custom rom was working with I think glitch or KGB kernel worked fine with voodoo... But my USB dock with line out jack no longer worked....even with Samsung galaxy sound director app....so I switched back to stock gingerbread

May 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #148 of 257
Quote:
Non of the ICS ROMs support the loading of the voodoo module. They do have voodoo dound in the kernel, so the loading of the module is not necessary though. The issue is that the CM9 devs are implementing the voodoo sound options in their DSP Manager app and I hate that - just flash Devil kernel and the vsoodoo sound app will work again.

Flashed the Devil kernel also. Now it is working! Many thanks! :)

May 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #149 of 257
Quote:

That's no longer an issue. You can have Voodoo app again.

http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/15245/

May 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #150 of 257
Well, I guess supercurio finally settled the issie with pawitp as he's been having issues with the cm9 team foe months because of the voodoo implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back