Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Oct 28, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #708 of 756
Not sure if this question has been asked before. Apologies if so.
Is it possible to use apps like UAPP or neutron to improve SQ output to external DAC by USB when streaming audio from Tidal etc.?

UAPP was created for the explicit purpose of not running slave to ALSA and audio finger.

Other threads have discussed the HD streaming and the re-sampling of the stream.
 Play the stream and see what the DAC and File indicators say

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #709 of 756

.... Seems you're not the only one - http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/578823-uk-note-4-flac-playback-stutters-pops-randomy.html
I hope by now it's been sorted out. I'm a poweramp player user, too and only had 1 issue after the latest update - upon engaging headphone, the eq is set to on. Then, I manually turn it off. Other than that I really have no other playback issues, I play up to 150 mb 24 / 96 each flac file...

Lol u just linked  me to my own thread on Android Central 

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #710 of 756
  Lol u just linked  me to my own thread on Android Central 

.....ooops... LOL ..... Sorry 'bout this ..... further to Poweramp Playbacks' , 24 bit 192 kHz rating no issues...

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #711 of 756
This might be useful to some.

I reported a while back issues with USB Audio (namely connecting an Onkyo DAC-HA200 portable DAC) and the Note 4 :
- on Android 4.4, frequent drops and slowdowns
- on Android 5.0, no sound
- on Android 5.1.1, same as Android 4.4

Without believing it too much, I bought a cheap USB OTG cable and it works perfectly! Perfect sound through the DAC, no drops or slowdowns.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #712 of 756
anyone here compared note4 (exynos) with walkman a15 sound? i have walkman a15 and i also need 2nd phone, my friend is selling his note4, i m curious if i could sell my a15 and replaced it with note4 so i got a phone and music player.
thanks
(my friend is at another city so i couldnt check the quality)

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #713 of 756
anyone here compared note4 (exynos) with walkman a15 sound? i have walkman a15 and i also need 2nd phone, my friend is selling his note4, i m curious if i could sell my a15 and replaced it with note4 so i got a phone and music player.
thanks
(my friend is at another city so i couldnt check the quality)

The headphone out is very low power. I use a Note 4 but I pair it with an external dac. I think the Walkman would  be a better listen at anything over 256kbps and more than moderate volume. If you are not a power user or detail hungry aUdiOphIle maybe you'd be fine but it might sound like somethings missing compared to the Walkman.

Note 4 is my one and only....but she needs help
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #714 of 756
So which do you prefer: Your IFI stack or your Mojo?

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #715 of 756
  So which do you prefer: Your IFI stack or your Mojo?

Hard to answer honestly since I am so annoyed it (mojo) came with no cables and my iFi comes with everything for Android/iphone etc. No help in the Mojo thread either.
iFi sounds wider while the Mojo sounds smooth but detailed. I will compare them after I get a decent cable
frown.gif

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #716 of 756

The headphone out is very low power. I use a Note 4 but I pair it with an external dac. I think the Walkman would  be a better listen at anything over 256kbps and more than moderate volume. If you are not a power user or detail hungry aUdiOphIle maybe you'd be fine but it might sound like somethings missing compared to the Walkman.

Note 4 is my one and only....but she needs help
smily_headphones1.gif

i had note 3 and it lack of power also and several details are slight better on A15, i will keep my A15 then if note 4 is just the same as note 3.
thank you for your reply :)

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #717 of 756
OK, this is weird. So, I bought a N910G with the snapdragon processor a few months ago. However, it had a defect with the IR blaster so I sent it back. I also wasn't happy with the sound quality coming out the headphone jack to my Audeo Perfect Bass IEMs. My previous phone (galaxy S3) easily sounded better. On the N910G,I had to play about 1 to 2 notches less in actual volume for the highs not to sound very harsh. And overall the highs were metallic and not realistic sounding for cymbals. So, at the same time I decided to swap to the N910C exynos to see if the Wolfson DAC made any difference. To my surprise, and unfortunately, it did not. The N910C sounded almost exactly the same as the N910G. Much worse than my S3 or my laptop. Then, today, something switched, and it sounds brilliant!

I have no idea what I did. I have been playing around with Bluetooth pairing and some equalising apps with a new Bluetooth speaker, but I assure you none of that is currently activated. I also changed the Google play services version, or maybe it was some background update. All I know is something has definitely switched! I'm definitely not imagining it.

Now, I can listen at one notch from full volume, even full is possible for a moment but the highs just get a little too harsh which is a limitation of the IEMs because it is the same on all 3 devices I have driven them with. I promise you this is ear splitting loud with the Audeos.

It's weird that both the snapdragon and exynos phones sounded identical while having different DACs, and now my N910C has switched to sound very similar to my S3 (can't decide yet which actually sounds better). This actually makes more sense, as they both have a Wolfson DAC. It makes me wonder if something has switched to run thru the actual Wolfson DAC on my Note 4. I'll keep investigating. But for Note 4 owners out there, if your phone isn't cutting it as a source, maybe there's hope! Has anyone else experienced a jump in audio quality on theirs in the last few weeks?

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #719 of 756
I have a question. I just placed an order for a bigger battery for my note 4 as well as a Fiio Q1 and just installed a 128gb micro sd card. However I am at a loss on how I am going to get my music from my computer ( iTunes Library on a WIndows PC) onto my Note 4. Can someone please help me. I am a noob at this! I was so excited until I got to this step! Even a PM will help. My CD Rip's are all Apple Lossless and then I have purchased iTunes songs as well. But, if I attempt to access the iTunes Library via File Explorer everything is m4a.

Mike

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #720 of 756
  I have a question. I just placed an order for a bigger battery for my note 4 as well as a Fiio Q1 and just installed a 128gb micro sd card. However I am at a loss on how I am going to get my music from my computer ( iTunes Library on a WIndows PC) onto my Note 4. Can someone please help me. I am a noob at this! I was so excited until I got to this step! Even a PM will help. My CD Rip's are all Apple Lossless and then I have purchased iTunes songs as well. But, if I attempt to access the iTunes Library via File Explorer everything is m4a.

Mike

Use USB Audio Player Pro. It reads m4a. Assuming you want to use the DAC functionality of the Fiio you will need a cable that is OTG compatible and can connect through the usb ports on each device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back