Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Sep 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #691 of 756

Just a query - I'm using an Oppo HA-1 on my Note 4 running 5.01 and when I connect my Oppo DAC and run Poweramp I am wondering if it's definitely using the DAC and outputting the optimal resolution. With 5.01 it detects the Oppo and outputs as expected however I have no way to 'confirm' it's not downsampling etc. With Lollipop natively supporting USB OTG it should be fine correct?

Honestly there are some apps that claim to go around alsa but UAPP shows you and it won't do **** if it doesn't have an outside DAC because it's designed to not work via alsa and audio finger. I believe Hiby and Neutron and Onkyo can do it and Onkyo shows the file but not a original v.s. current output way like UAPP does...and I think they should all do that by default. If you shell out and get UAPP you will see if the OPPO is taking control because UAPP won't work otherwise.

ONKYO
below

E18 above Cozoy Aegis below

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #692 of 756
  How can it be firmware I'm on normal uk firmware.I don't root or anything. As for hardware how can that be possible.it plays all music files perfectly on native player apart from flac somtimes stutters.do u guys never ever hear a pop or half sec stutter playing flac in the stock music player.as for me noticing poweramp doing it aswell it was only when I took a photo wilst the music was playing and as the photo was loading made the music lag half sec.I've hard reset my phone 6 times.the stock player seem unstable for flac.so far power amp trial it's only crackled the one time when I used the camera.In  fact if I take 10 pics in a row as the pic is loading or prossessing it may make the music lag half a sec like a pop.but power amp under normal conditions seems to play flac ok.but the music fx option randomly turns off .must be a power amp bug very annoying.so I may just go back to the stock player and try to get used to the random cracked or pop.as it's only like twice an hour or less sometimes.any advice guys is my phone ok?is it normal for the stock player to have issue playing flac  sometimes randomly.also taking it in on warranty is stupid.as the half sec crackle in the stock player is random it won't happen when they test it.and will say we restored your phone to factory and it fixed it lol.or if they did hear the odd playback hiccup they will say the file is bad.I'm sure my phone is fine.

.... Seems you're not the only one - http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/578823-uk-note-4-flac-playback-stutters-pops-randomy.html
I hope by now it's been sorted out. I'm a poweramp player user, too and only had 1 issue after the latest update - upon engaging headphone, the eq is set to on. Then, I manually turn it off. Other than that I really have no other playback issues, I play up to 150 mb 24 / 96 each flac file...

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #693 of 756
Started reading (from the beginning of this post) to get some votes on whether to go cayin c5Dac or aune b1 with hd650's. I've a Wolfson dac note 4.

But from what it seems from recent posts the note 4 is terrible at playing high Def. USB audio is always resampled flaac's pop and stop etc.
I came into this forum thinking the note 4 was a great transport for an external dac. But it seems it awfully buggy. If you are successful what is your setup and player if choice?

Right now I'm thinking relying on the Wolfson and going with the Aune B1 amp (it's novel, interesting and looks intense). Because using an external dac seems to be a complete mess. I heard there is also a USB line out cable available. What advantage would this give me over using the headphone out?

I'd be grateful if someone can clear up the issues for me as is difficult to decipher the actual problems being said in the posts.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #694 of 756
Right now I'm thinking relying on the Wolfson and going with the Aune B1 amp (it's novel, interesting and looks intense). Because using an external dac seems to be a complete mess. I heard there is also a USB line out cable available. What advantage would this give me over using the headphone out?

Using an amp through the headphone-out will cause double-amping (sound distortion).

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #700 of 756
That's gotta be terrible.

Why? Based off what? There are many of us who do it regularly, and swear by the audio quality, on some incredibly detailed and resolving headphones.

Have you tried it yourself? Or are you guessing? 

EDIT: Also - Analogue out is through the headphone output. Digital out is done via USB.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #701 of 756
Why? Based off what? There are many of us who do it regularly, and swear by the audio quality, on some incredibly detailed and resolving headphones.

Have you tried it yourself? Or are you guessing? 

EDIT: Also - Analogue out is through the headphone output. Digital out is done via USB.

Sorry if my reply was not clear. Earlier in this post someone recommended using a micro USB to phono jack cable. Which bypasses the headphone amp effectively making the usb out an analogue line out (ie post dac analogue signal). I question this method as the usb circuit is not designed as an analogue audio signal carrier and will have a lot of interference, not to mention that it is also a power cable (though not in this case) , it's not exactly far fetched to assume this would create a rather noisy path (FOR AN ANALOGUE SIGNAL). Obviously digital signals are not susceptible to this noise which makes the usb a perfect candidate to carry a digital audio signal to a dac. But not an audio signal to cans or an amp. I'm not questioning using phone USB to DAC.

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #702 of 756
Hi every one.

I've been reading this post, it seems complicated using a DAC with Sasmung Galaxy Note 4 with Android 5.0...

Since yesterday, my Note 4 has been upgraded to 5.1.1. Does someone know if Samsung fixed the USB Audio problem with 5.1.1 ?

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #703 of 756
Sorry if my reply was not clear. Earlier in this post someone recommended using a micro USB to phono jack cable. Which bypasses the headphone amp effectively making the usb out an analogue line out (ie post dac analogue signal). I question this method as the usb circuit is not designed as an analogue audio signal carrier and will have a lot of interference, not to mention that it is also a power cable (though not in this case) , it's not exactly far fetched to assume this would create a rather noisy path (FOR AN ANALOGUE SIGNAL). Obviously digital signals are not susceptible to this noise which makes the usb a perfect candidate to carry a digital audio signal to a dac. But not an audio signal to cans or an amp. I'm not questioning using phone USB to DAC.

Some phones, certain Samsung models, have the capability to provide an analog line out through the USB port using a special cable. That's not the usual route and most people would think that your trying to route an analog signal on a digital line, which of course doesn't work.
In the case of the special cable, it is not for digital and is not noisey, unless it has an additional connection for charging which does get noisy due to the cable carrying power from the switching supply in the USB wall wart. In that case don't plug in the power connection.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #704 of 756
Started reading (from the beginning of this post) to get some votes on whether to go cayin c5Dac or aune b1 with hd650's. I've a Wolfson dac note 4.

But from what it seems from recent posts the note 4 is terrible at playing high Def. USB audio is always resampled flac's pop and stop etc.
I came into this forum thinking the note 4 was a great transport for an external dac. But it seems it awfully buggy. If you are successful what is your setup and player if choice?

I'd be grateful if someone can clear up the issues for me as is difficult to decipher the actual problems being said in the posts.

Have you tried playing flac files on your note 4?

My note4's stock music player plays flac files w/out a dac/amp perfectly, no hiccups at all. Right now im using onkyo hf player free app and it plays flac files flawlessly @ 44/16 with a dac/amp connected to it even @ android 5.0. then my techy friend was able to do a hack on the app and the upscaling feature was enabled. hehehe! note4>ibasso dzero mk2>fidue a83.

i would prefer a note4>c5dac>hd650 route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back