Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Aug 19, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #664 of 756
  Unique Melody Merlin (10ohms)

Westone ES3X (~56ohms) 

AFAIK the output impedance of the Note 4 is under 1ohm.

Interesting. My pair is 16ohms. No issues on the HD598s which is around 50ohms and it has much lower hiss if any at all.

I tried Shuttle, Jet, USB Audio Pro, and Poweramp, and only Shuttle had a small amount of distortion like Google Play Music. Everything else had the same issues as Neutron. Doesn't seem like I can find the differences that are causing the issues. This is a bummer, and Shuttle isn't perfect but it's a workable alternative for me.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #665 of 756
  "The Note 5 has proprietary high quality audio technology that upscales existing MP3s and other audio formats to 24bit/192KHz"

wat? what's the point in doing so, it's like expanding an mp3 to lossless, you're not going to gain quality obviously.

They have been upscaling to 48k ever since GS4. As another software company I know is fond of saying, "That's not a bug, it's a feature." 
deadhorse.gif

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #667 of 756

I used and deleted that app from my Note 4. Not sure what the issue was but it's star rating was not matching what i heard. Very hyped app that made me sad.

There are settings that can affect Neutron in a bad way. For example the preamp gain can easily cause distortion, lowering it or turning on the AGP can solve that problem.

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #670 of 756
Nothing is forever, that includes Wolfson. Things move on and there are many other excellent DAC chips out there. In fact one can take the best DAC chip and implement it poorly.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #672 of 756
  Nothing is forever, that includes Wolfson. Things move on and there are many other excellent DAC chips out there. In fact one can take the best DAC chip and implement it poorly.

That's why they needed voodoo on the note 2 to bypass the default implementation. Hoping they come up with another similar program, since the note 4/5, S6 series are using wolfson.

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #673 of 756

That's why they needed voodoo on the note 2 to bypass the default implementation. Hoping they come up with another similar program, since the note 4/5, S6 series are using wolfson.

Software cannot fix a bad hardware implementation, especially of the linear circuitry. I'm hoping that in the near future there will be competive reasons for manufacturers to do a better job in the smartphone.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #674 of 756
  Software cannot fix a bad hardware implementation, especially of the linear circuitry. I'm hoping that in the near future there will be competive reasons for manufacturers to do a better job in the smartphone.

The success of voodoo (and possibly poweramp) suggests it's not a bad hardware implementation, it's samsung being stupid and forcing the signal through the crappy eq, even when it's set to 0. Note 2 with voodoo is on par with the cowon j2 and ipod classic. The playing field changed at around the release of the DX100 when they shorten the battery life for a batter amp. There are giant software problems with plain android with high quality audio, for example the ibasso dx100, in fact none of the android based players I can think of just use the default android player, it's just crap and the volume steps are huge, needing root to fix it.

On the other hand I have seen no evidence of a bad hardware implementation, except for the standard amp section only designed to be used by high sensitivity, low impedance iems. 

Right now i'm using PlayerPro with dsp to bypass the stupid samsung eq and effects, works well, but voodoo would boost other sources of music.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #675 of 756

Currently, this is my Mobile Audio - SW playback by db Poweramp - I joined this thread  'coz I'm upgrading as well, to a Note 4 & a pair of Shures. I'm not a basshead anymore (Age & all that...). But I'm keeping my Dre Studios for watching movies though. Is this a good combo' choice? Thanks for the replies and your valued advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back