Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
May 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #736 of 756
Hi all
smily_headphones1.gif
. Have heard wolfson unlocked by Samsung only in android m( before update it didnt work at all) My 910 C was updated on 30.04 and sound is beautyful. Sorry for my eng. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #737 of 756
I have a Note 4 from Bell Canada using the supposedly inferior Qualcomm Snapdragon processor (hence not a Wolfson DAC), and I'm blown away by the sound quality of the headphone jack listening to 24/96 recordings on Tidal, with Grado Prestige SR325 headphones.

The internal DAC is stunningly transparent, open, clear, smooth, dynamic, rhythmic and musical, with lots of detail, tight and tuneful bass, and holographic reproduction and "bloom" on better recordings.  The noise floor is inaudible.  In fact the headphone jack sounds significantly better than a $400 Beyerdynamic external DAC that I plugged into the USB jack.  

I'd be surprised if the Wolfson DAC is much better, but even if so, I don't feel I'm missing anything.

In comparison, the headphone jack on my iPad Mini sounds flabby and lifeless, listening to the same Tidal music with the same headphones.

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #738 of 756
Hey, everyone.

I'm looking for a big-screened Android phone with a removable battery, a flat back and excellent audio quality, so I narrowed my choice down to the Note 4 and the LG V10, but I prefer the Note 4 because I can get it refurbished for about $200 cheaper.

Three questions:
1) How is the audio quality straight from the phone? At times, I'll be pairing it with my Audeze Sine.

I'm looking for something better than my HTC One M8 when I don't want to carry my Mojo/Galaxy S4 stack around.

2) How close is the Note 4 to the LG V10, so-wise? I prefer a detailed, neutral, fast presentation.

3) Does the Note 4 play nicely with the Mojo and the UAPP app?

Thanks in advance!

Note 4 audio quality is not as good as V10. Both from quality to power :). Note 4 is just another typical smartphone, where V10 is a mid-tier digital audio player as well as a smartphone at this moment

But Note 4(Note 7 is better))) is NOTE with SPen, not other ordinary smartphone.
For using internal DAC in Poweramp you can change sound out and use experimental 24/192 out, not standard java or open es

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #739 of 756
Thanks for the Poweramp alpha link,
I will compare to Neutron player.

After a year on a custom ROM I decided to upgrade phone so I won't feel left behind now that Note7 of out.

My phone is actually faster on custom 6.01 ROM which was totally unexpected.

I basically have now a new phone, and it recognize my 3220ma extended battery, which stock rom cannot.
Now with a nice micro SD of 120gigs,
Who needs to upgrade?!
:)

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #740 of 756
ok, newbie question, i read this thread but couldn't understand.

I have Samsung Note 4 Exynos Asian Version of the phone, its under warranty and i dont want to void the warranty so.

I downloaded PowerAmp, Neutron etc, but the sound is same as the stock player.

So whats the best way to get the perfect sound from this version of note 4 as i read somewhere this exynos has dedicated dac that is not used correctly by samsung stock player. Also without rooting and voiding warranty. 

Is there something in the settings and the source that i need to use with in poweramp etc.

Thank you.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #741 of 756
SUPERMAG, no. Always want to ask people who care about warranty. Why it need you on the old phone?

After a year on a custom ROM I decided to upgrade phone so I won't feel left behind now that Note7 of out.

I basically have now a new phone, and it recognize my 3220ma extended battery, which stock rom cannot.
Who needs to upgrade?!

Excuse me, don't understand = )

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #742 of 756
I just recent bought it like 6 months ago it was on great offer. Also jeel like my charger area is buggy and might stop working and charging. So there is no way huh?

Ok if i root how much improvement i will get in sound quality and what settings in poweramp that can be activated with root.

Thank you.

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #743 of 756
Hi guys I was wondering how does the audio on the note 4 with snapdragon chip compares to the Fiio X1? I am considering getting a low end hi-ref player and was wondering if the note 4 quality is inferior to the X1. I will be using it with my IE 80's. I am a newbie, but would like to try new stuff.

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #744 of 756
I just recent bought it like 6 months ago it was on great offer. Also jeel like my charger area is buggy and might stop working and charging. So there is no way huh?

Ok if i root how much improvement i will get in sound quality and what settings in poweramp that can be activated with root.

Thank you.

Understood. Poweramp> settings>audio>.output>hires experimental audioout 24/192  (Samsung UHQA PCM) and in resempler section  SOX resempler. Root do not need as i know.
  Hi guys I was wondering how does the audio on the note 4 with snapdragon chip compares to the Fiio X1? I am considering getting a low end hi-ref player and was wondering if the note 4 quality is inferior to the X1. I will be using it with my IE 80's. I am a newbie, but would like to try new stuff.

On note 4 one way to get good sound for my opinion http://www.head-fi.org/t/749336/the-ultimate-dap-512gb-storage-10-000mah-battery-features-of-note-4-32bit-382khz-dsd-wi-fi-support

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #745 of 756
Ok, I am officially apologies to Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Exynos+Wolfson) DAC about it sound quality :xf_eek:. I hated it because virtually every app I used to play it back, even with root and Viper4android, it sucked.

Today I found Poweramp Alpha, which only available through download from url directly, it is so "freaking good" with Note 4 Exynos....wowwww

I am impressed, and I played around with it for a couple hours, and I have to say that I apologize because I was so disappointed before, so I always talked bad about note 4 Exynos. Don't blame me, because the potentials were not brought out until now.

Quick, if anyone have a Note 4 Wxynos with Wolfson, you will have to do yourself a favor and download "Poweramp Alpha". I tried this on 2 devices ZX2 and Note 4, and this app totally bring these devices into another level. Most importantly is the Exynos note 4. I have a little doubt toward Note 4 Snapdragon due to it SOHC, but you can try.

Wow....!

So what's the difference between the alpha build and the one in the play store? I bought Poweramp from the store months ago and I think the sq is really good. It supports hi res audio too. Mine is an exynos note but I don't know how can an alpha build improve the sq to the regular version. Would you care to elaborate a bit more?

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #746 of 756
So what's the difference between the alpha build and the one in the play store? I bought Poweramp from the store months ago and I think the sq is really good. It supports hi res audio too. Mine is an exynos note but I don't know how can an alpha build improve the sq to the regular version. Would you care to elaborate a bit more?

I have both versions of Poweramp on two different Galaxy Note 3s. The sound differences seems minor and favor the official version more than the alpha, but I have not compared them critically. The alpha perhaps has slightly more bass whereas the official version has a little more clarity.

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #747 of 756
  Understood. Poweramp> settings>audio>.output>hires experimental audioout 24/192  (Samsung UHQA PCM) and in resempler section  SOX resempler. Root do not need as i know.
On note 4 one way to get good sound for my opinion http://www.head-fi.org/t/749336/the-ultimate-dap-512gb-storage-10-000mah-battery-features-of-note-4-32bit-382khz-dsd-wi-fi-support

thanks did that but still feel no difference in sound. loll.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #748 of 756
I have just upgraded to Note 7 from note 4. Should I get the UAPP or the Poweramp, if so which version is the best. Thanks.

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #749 of 756
Well I have just downloaded the UAPP to my Note7 and it worked excellent. The only feature I miss is the playlist. Does anyone know how to connect to the Hugo? I selected the "use USB DAC" function but I still was not able to make a connection.

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #750 of 756
SUPERMAG, no. Always want to ask people who care about warranty. Why it need you on the old phone?

Who needs to upgrade?!

Excuse me, don't understand = )

Basically you have to go to "xdadevelopers" website and then go to forums of the carrier (not just the phone) of your model (note4, note7)
And then read up/learn how to flash your phone with custom operating system which is usually faster/streamlined from all the bloatware slowing/hogging your phone.

The good news is that the 6.01 operating system on new phones has ability to power save individual apps that are not used as often, so your phone uses much less battery with latest operating systems..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back