Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Jul 22, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #631 of 756
I waited since October... But decided to finally do it again. I didn't add a dac or amp to the note 4,so without those items not much comparison to either high end dap. I'm sure with my Cayin C5 it will close the gap.

@Whitigir- V4A is much more than an eq, you'd really have to hear it to understand. I wasn't expecting it to sound like either dap, I was just sharing my experience that's all. Even so, you can still compare the sounds of a smartphone, especially rooted with V4A, as it sounds very good.

@Hawaiibadboy-I've never heard the X5,but I am getting an X7 when it comes out for sure, so I'll let you know. I still need to mess with the settings for v4a, but I know it won't disappoint. I just sold my AK240, so. I can't share that experience, but to my ears in a bind test I couldn't tell a difference between that and my zx2...

Without an external dac I wouldn't/couldn't compare and of course I need amp as the Note HO is like .04volt
frown.gif
I own an X5 and have compared it with a tweaked Note 4 and the Note 4 wins on width of presentation depth of bass and highs which are all related to the V4A. I simply wanna know what exactly ...what song,track and settings are my X5 gonna beat the V4A?? I cannot find em??

16bit v.s. 24bit?   Like I said...Red book (I'm a believer)

I'm using Aurisonics 2.5  3 way UIEM so anyone feel free.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #633 of 756
Well, when you use a smartphone then connect digital out toward any portable DAC/amp, the phone is only a transport (hard drive). So what you are hearing is from the DAC/amp and not the smartphone. So if you are trying to compare a Smartphone+DAC/Amp to a smartphone......that only means you compare from a good quality DAC/amp to a phone....which obviously should not be from the beginning.

Anyways, if you are happy about what you have, that is what really matter.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #634 of 756
I'm not using either and for the most part I won't be. I'm just trying my C5 put of curiosity. I also use the c5 with all of my other daps too, so basically comparing my phone to my daps, or my phone +amp, to my daps +amp... Yes, I am happy thank God.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #635 of 756
I'm currently using a Fiio E07k connected to a Sony Xperia ultra smartphone. I'd like to replace this setup with smartphone that includes a dac and a small headphone amp. Would the note 4 be comparable?

I'd be content if the smartphone sounded as good as my macbook does.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #636 of 756
If you root the Note 4 I find it very acceptable with Viper4Android installed. I can't compare it to Xperia. My girl took our macbook for business trip, so can't help there.

I can try to compare to my actual Mac if you'd like. I'm sure others can answer the macbook question.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #637 of 756
Well, when you use a smartphone then connect digital out toward any portable DAC/amp, the phone is only a transport (hard drive). So what you are hearing is from the DAC/amp and not the smartphone. So if you are trying to compare a Smartphone+DAC/Amp to a smartphone......that only means you compare from a good quality DAC/amp to a phone....which obviously should not be from the beginning.

Anyways, if you are happy about what you have, that is what really matter.

A transport with a 5.7 uber screen for scrolling through the album collection at high speed and before that transport passes out the signal I can tweak the balls off it with V4A.

and yeah....it takes phone calls n stuff.

It's not stock but that is a Note 4.

Anyway...we all like what we like  so everybody enjoy whatever ya like
beerchug.gif

I'm currently using a Fiio E07k connected to a Sony Xperia ultra smartphone. I'd like to replace this setup with smartphone that includes a dac and a small headphone amp. Would the note 4 be comparable?

I'd be content if the smartphone sounded as good as my macbook does.

Maybe you want this..

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #638 of 756
If you root the Note 4 I find it very acceptable with Viper4Android installed. I can't compare it to Xperia. My girl took our macbook for business trip, so can't help there.
I can try to compare to my actual Mac if you'd like. I'm sure others can answer the macbook question.

Thanks for your input. The problem with my setup is that it's cumbersome. If the note 4 has a good dac and a headphone amp, I'll get it. I can't use a quality portable media player because I use spotify. Yes, the bitrate is 320k but that's good enough for me. I sold my AKG q701's because I wasn't using them very much after getting studio monitors. The phone will just have to drive some iems.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #639 of 756
I'm using my note 4 with the 5.0.1 software as my primary dac, has anybody here had any luck using a ibasso d-zero mk2 with Onkyo HF Player free app?

And has anybody here already have the 5.1.1 upgrade and is the USB OTG running without any problems anymore?

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #641 of 756
I was that close to get a G4 as replacement to my M9, but I tried my hifiman re262 on it and it was perhaps 1/2 the M9's volume! I know some apps like Neutron and V4A can make it louder but it need much more loudness. Today I am gonna try again but with Note 4 exynos and Note Edge snapdragon.
Note 5 is a no go for me as it doesn't have an sdcard slot

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #642 of 756
"The Note 5 has proprietary high quality audio technology that upscales existing MP3s and other audio formats to 24bit/192KHz"

wat? what's the point in doing so, it's like expanding an mp3 to lossless, you're not going to gain quality obviously.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #643 of 756
  "The Note 5 has proprietary high quality audio technology that upscales existing MP3s and other audio formats to 24bit/192KHz"

wat? what's the point in doing so, it's like expanding an mp3 to lossless, you're not going to gain quality obviously.

Smoke and mirror ********.
Why does anyone still have mp3 anyway? 16/44.1 flac's will do just fine thank you

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #644 of 756
...and it is marketing guff like like that pushed me down the DAP route once more...

The correct format if upscaling an MP3 (almost totally pointless) or a lossless file (virtually pointless) is 16/176.4khz which "might" add a bit of airiness / depth to the sound depending on DAC implementation and source file quality but I'd rather have better quality hardware in the first place...

Like having a kit car shell of a Ferrari (DAC capable of 176.4/192/more), with the engine from a Prius (the headphone out of the majority of handsets) with the wheels from a bicycle (the source file if lossy)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back