Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Jun 28, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #601 of 756
  It's probably too early, but any news on whether the Note 5 will also use a Wolfson DAC? I was going to get the Note 4, but will wait until September since the Note 5 is rumoured to be released then.

If so it will probably go with the WM5110 like in the Exynos Note 4

I like the WM8740
smily_headphones1.gif

I imagine since Wolfson and Samsung have a kind of tie -up that it will continue in the next Generation (Note 5)

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #602 of 756
Why do neither Noozxoide nor any equalizer apps that I've tried work for me (Exynos Note 4) (while equalizers within players do work)? With Noozxoide, I've installed the music player noozy and within the player it is written "DAC is incompatible with EIZO-rewire [M] series". Equalizers give no errors but they simply do nothing when you toggle the bass/treble/etc. Does everyone with Exynos Note 4 have this problem?

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #605 of 756
So it looks like Samsung are planning to launch the Note 5 next month instead of the usual September.  It is rumoured to have a combined Exynos chipset.  Obviously nothing has been confirmed yet, but does this mean if the CPU, GPU, RAM etc are all integrated that it won't have a separate Wolfson DAC like the Note 4?

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #606 of 756
Thought I might chime in on this one. Had the Note 3 with Kit Kat -> Fiio X3 First gen -> Ray Samuels Black Bird through Sennheiser HD 25 1 II/ Note 3 -> Naim DAC V1 Sennheiser HD 1 II - all asynch USB. Was getting first rate sound quality, then "upgraded" to Lollipop. Now have Note 3 and have glitch city, compressed sound. I think with Kit Kat Samsung modified the kernel to get asynch USB audio working, but with Lollipop USB audio "worked already" so no tweak necessary.. Don't know about the Note 4 but the Note 3 was a first rate transport, ruined by Lollipop.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #607 of 756
Thought I might chime in on this one. Had the Note 3 with Kit Kat -> Fiio X3 First gen -> Ray Samuels Black Bird through Sennheiser HD 25 1 II/ Note 3 -> Naim DAC V1 Sennheiser HD 1 II - all asynch USB. Was getting first rate sound quality, then "upgraded" to Lollipop. Now have Note 3 and have glitch city, compressed sound. I think with Kit Kat Samsung modified the kernel to get asynch USB audio working, but with Lollipop USB audio "worked already" so no tweak necessary.. Don't know about the Note 4 but the Note 3 was a first rate transport, ruined by Lollipop.

I have a note 3 (Qualcomm) and updated to Lollipop but no glitches. The only thing is that EQ I get now with Google Music Player is from Samsung. The EQ doesn't work correctly on USB but does on Bluetooth and the headphone jack.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #608 of 756
My note's the 8 core version. When the Note 5 comes out, that will be my main phone and I'll root the 3 and return to Samsung's version of Kit Kat (if I can find it). It was quite intriguing why the Note Fiio combination sounded a lot better than the Fiio's own playback; I use VLC which has a sonic signature different (and which I like) to the on-board media player.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #609 of 756
Sold the Note 4 to get the S6 Edge, which was a mistake, think I should just stay with the Note family rather than rotating every six months between both...

Hopefully the Note will NOT follow the same path as the S6 (non removable battery, no mSD slot), if Samsung carry on that path, the S6 could be the last device I buy from them...

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #610 of 756

I'm not upgrading as the Note 4 has touchwiz and the audio works great. I cannot see the benefit at this point to update. It passes of audio to an external dac, it's rooted and sounds better than anything I have ever owned.

@Duncan

What made you switch? A.D.H.D? ( No insult ..change is good usually.) This site is stuffed with folks exhibiting A.D.H.D and O.C.D symptoms......including me
biggrin.gif

Seen this?

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #611 of 756
Sold the Note 4 to get the S6 Edge, which was a mistake, think I should just stay with the Note family rather than rotating every six months between both...

Hopefully the Note will NOT follow the same path as the S6 (non removable battery, no mSD slot), if Samsung carry on that path, the S6 could be the last device I buy from them...

Unfortunately it looks like that is where it's headed. I will look for another cell brand too as I need my removable battery and prefer SD card slot.

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #612 of 756
 I'm not upgrading as the Note 4 has touchwiz and the audio works great. I cannot see the benefit at this point to update. It passes of audio to an external dac, it's rooted and sounds better than anything I have ever owned.

@Duncan

What made you switch? A.D.H.D? ( No insult ..change is good usually.) This site is stuffed with folks exhibiting A.D.H.D and O.C.D symptoms......including me:D

Seen this?

Lollipop supposedly supported sample rates and bit depths that Kit Kat didn't. I knew that Samsung had tweaked their version of Kit Kat and was hoping the "upgrade" to Lollipop would be a positive experience. I was wrong. As said previously as soon as the Note 5 comes out I'll use that as my main 'phone, with stock Android for the banking apps etc, and use the Note 3 as a dedicated tramsport for both portable and full hi-fi. I'll have to find the original rom that came with the 'phone but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back