Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Jan 20, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #301 of 756
  All, I am currently living in Mid East and managed to grab a Note 4 Exynos ver. This version comes with Wolfson DAC according to few reviews and that was the main reason I got it.  I already own iBasso dx50 as the main music player for my travel and exercise together with a simple/rugged but loyal SH HD419 OE, JBL J33 IE and a Bose QC3 (mostly travel).  I tried all with N4 as well.

My initial impression with N4 was "wow"! comparing iBasso.  iBasso was very neutral, polite and clean.  Note 4 raised everything few notches up esp the low end is very sweet sounding. I can not complain and I like both now.  But the issue was the volume level is very low in N4.  I wish it had 30-40%  more volume. and a little brighter sound will make this a perfect dap.

I bought a 32GB microsd and trying to dump all my music.  I am planning to move to N4 full time from iBasso so that i carry just one piece.  Trying to get 128gb microSD soon.

Need some advice!
What is the best way to achieve a bit more volume with N4. Suggestions welcome.

Easiest way without rooting is to get a player like gonemad, poweramp etc... and turn up the preamp volume. Otherwise root and use v4a with preamp or custom rom.

I am currently using gonemad with the gmmp equalizer option with quality set to high, it sounds a tad cleaner.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #302 of 756
  Easiest way without rooting is to get a player like gonemad, poweramp etc... and turn up the preamp volume. Otherwise root and use v4a with preamp or custom rom.

I am currently using gonemad with the gmmp equalizer option with quality set to high, it sounds a tad cleaner.

Thanks. I should have mentioned, I am not planning to root yet! Let me try gonemad first and see.

Any ext amp suggestions? Fiio, iBasso or any other....around $150 budget.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #303 of 756

Thanks. I should have mentioned, I am not planning to root yet! Let me try gonemad first and see.

Any ext amp suggestions? Fiio, iBasso or any other....around $150 budget.

Personally, recommend the E18.

Is everyone happy using the Note 4 with low impedance IEMs, straight from the headphone out?

I'm still not sure if the Exynos and Snapdragon versions have different output stages. I'm aware they have a different DAC, but I'm not sure if that will have any effect on the output impedance. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #304 of 756
I am using thr audioengine d3 as a potable dac/amp for my note 4. At full volume it drives HD650 adequately. IEM gets even more sound. It also sounds better and clearer, with bigger soundstage and more airy vocal. For $150 it worths the money.

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #305 of 756
I am heading out today to test out a Geek Out 450 with my Note 4. I am finding the quality of my snapdragon version to be quite good however volume output is terrible. With my Senn Momentum I have to have it to full and in my car with Aux I have to turn it up WAY past where I CD/Iphone levels were. Looking for something to with better DAC/power output.
They've sold out of Fiio E18 but have a test unit so I'll try both out.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #306 of 756
  I am heading out today to test out a Geek Out 450 with my Note 4. I am finding the quality of my snapdragon version to be quite good however volume output is terrible. With my Senn Momentum I have to have it to full and in my car with Aux I have to turn it up WAY past where I CD/Iphone levels were. Looking for something to with better DAC/power output.
They've sold out of Fiio E18 but have a test unit so I'll try both out.

Please do report back... I am looking for an outboard DAC/amp for my Note 4 and the FiiO E18 is on the list.

EDIT: Oh, and Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #308 of 756
Reporting back! Unfortunately not a very eventful trip. The store had sold out of the E18 2 minutes before I walked in - someone grabbed the display model :frowning2:
They did have the Geekout 450 which I tested. Unfortunately I didn't realise that Poweramp won't work with an external DAC so I couldn't test the DAC at all - only had limited time so didn't want to purchase UAPP. The headphone amp however definitely drove the Momentum's much better and I was happy with the output from the .47ohm socket. Again, something weird was happening with Poweramp as when I changed vol on the GO450 it change then fade back to where it was in the app.

Speaking to the guys at the store, they recommended the E18 over the GO450 and said it would play nicer with Android, has sufficient power and has the advantage of charging the phone etc. They thought the GO was good but over-hyped and priced. I would have liked to hear the DAC but it sounds like the E18 is probably more suited to my needs - and cheaper!

Now I have to hunt one down! They aren't expecting stock until mid-Feb :frowning2:

@ Krutsch - Thanks for the welcome!

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #309 of 756
Reporting back! Unfortunately not a very eventful trip. The store had sold out of the E18 2 minutes before I walked in - someone grabbed the display model :frowning2:
They did have the Geekout 450 which I tested. Unfortunately I didn't realise that Poweramp won't work with an external DAC so I couldn't test the DAC at all - only had limited time so didn't want to purchase UAPP. The headphone amp however definitely drove the Momentum's much better and I was happy with the output from the .47ohm socket. Again, something weird was happening with Poweramp as when I changed vol on the GO450 it change then fade back to where it was in the app.

Speaking to the guys at the store, they recommended the E18 over the GO450 and said it would play nicer with Android, has sufficient power and has the advantage of charging the phone etc. They thought the GO was good but over-hyped and priced. I would have liked to hear the DAC but it sounds like the E18 is probably more suited to my needs - and cheaper!

Now I have to hunt one down! They aren't expecting stock until mid-Feb :frowning2:

Oppo is coming out with a new ha-2 which could be a trump over E18. Sholuld be available soon.

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #310 of 756
Oppo is coming out with a new ha-2 which could be a trump over E18. Sholuld be available soon.

Thanks for the heads up! Just had a quick look - could be great! I might hold off a little longer now :)

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #311 of 756
While waiting I got myself an audioengine d3. It is truly portable and transparent. Just plug and play and you are good to go. No app is needed and you can play 24/192 from your favorite player. Looks slick and the tiny form factor is great for on the go listening. Sound quality is improved on my hd650. It adds air and soundstage to the music and make it more alive, musical and enjoyable. I am happy with the $150 purchase.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #312 of 756

What do you mean hunt one down?  There are several reputable websites that sell the E18 online.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #313 of 756
I have been having an issuse with the volume warining popping up randomly even if i dont try to put the volume past 10.it only happens if i have my volume on 10 like i alway do.the warning just pops up every 20 min or so on its own.any help with this problem.im on the latest fw uk unbranded unlocked note 4
The bug may be somthing to do with smart volume as it only seems to pop up when smart volume is activated weird and very annoying

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #314 of 756
What do you mean hunt one down?  There are several reputable websites that sell the E18 online.

Ideally I want test one out first. Cant find any other dealers so far that actually have it. Definitely no problem buying online as you say.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #315 of 756
Apparently all Galaxy S6 versions will have Exynos 7420 chip and Wolfson dac. Good news for those in the United States. :) We already had Exynos Samgung phones but it's good to know there's no danger of getting Snapdragon's crappy dac with S6. I was considering iPhone 6 but EU volume limit screws the sound (and I'm not even in the EU! but Apple sells phones with EU cap here, retards). Anyway, hopefully Samsung announces S6 soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back