Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #331 of 756
I am in Oman right now for work and I purchased it here.  There is a volume level warning, but even after that the volume is not enough to drive my Senn. and Bose QC20. I have iBasso and I am satisfied with the volume.  I feel N4 sound quality is better and more matured/cleaner. iBasso is very neutral but still missed that wow factor.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #332 of 756
Hello everyone, since I'm pretty new to the whole amp and dac thing so I would like to ask for some suggestions from you guys.

I have some troubles getting FiiO 12A to work with my Galaxy Note 4 (T-Mobile, rooted, stock rom 4.4.4). So the set up is Galaxy note 4 >> USB OTG cable >> USB cable >> FiiO 12A. Then I plug in my IEM to the FiiO 12A. I've tried it that way still the sound comes from the speaker of the phone. Could anyone help me out with this? I also have a FiiO 10K but I only use it with my laptop. 

Thank you.

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #333 of 756
Hello everyone, since I'm pretty new to the whole amp and dac thing so I would like to ask for some suggestions from you guys.

I have some troubles getting FiiO 12A to work with my Galaxy Note 4 (T-Mobile, rooted, stock rom 4.4.4). So the set up is Galaxy note 4 >> USB OTG cable >> USB cable >> FiiO 12A. Then I plug in my IEM to the FiiO 12A. I've tried it that way still the sound comes from the speaker of the phone. Could anyone help me out with this? I also have a FiiO 10K but I only use it with my laptop. 

Thank you.

Try using it with the Onkyo HF player first. That worked for me. Almost like it bridged a gap that the phone couldn't do alone.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #335 of 756

Thank you.
Am I missing a point here? - the E12A is an amp only, so - how is the digital signal from the USB OTG being converted to analog for the amp to amplify?

Thanks,

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #336 of 756
Am I missing a point here? - the E12A is an amp only, so - how is the digital signal from the USB OTG being converted to analog for the amp to amplify?

Thanks,

Yes that is correct you cannot connect it through usb OTG, there is not dac section in the E12A, but there are micro usb to 3.5mm connectors that MAY work with the dock setting enabled. This will then use the phone's onboard dac by bypass the headphone out 'amp' section of the phone.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #337 of 756
Ok,im having a really weird issue with my note 4. Viper4android works well with music but whenever i play a video it doesnt work,checking the v4a driver status it says processing = no,but while playing music it says processing = yes. Are others experiencing this too?

V4a used to work for both music and movies on the note 3,its weird to see it inly work for music now. On kitkat ROM btw

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #338 of 756
Ok,im having a really weird issue with my note 4. Viper4android works well with music but whenever i play a video it doesnt work,checking the v4a driver status it says processing = no,but while playing music it says processing = yes. Are others experiencing this too?

V4a used to work for both music and movies on the note 3,its weird to see it inly work for music now. On kitkat ROM btw

How can you check driver status while a video is playing in the forefront?    My videos all stop when I do anything else.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #339 of 756

Thats normal. If you use audio playback that V2A framework is used so "processing = yes". If you don't use audio playback at all, there is no reason to process anything, thats why "processing = no".

I use V2A on my S4 with GPE 4.4.4 ROM and it works really well. I have the same status like you, thats nothing wrong here.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #341 of 756

Thank you.

The USB port on the FiiO E12A is for charging, not Audio as this is only an Amp, there is no DAC in the E12A or any model of the E12 series.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #342 of 756
How can you check driver status while a video is playing in the forefront?    My videos all stop when I do anything else.

You could either use the samsung pop up player or mx player to continue playing the audio part of the video when its minimized.

Its very obvious that the volume of the videos are just so much lower than when playing music,which gives away the fact that v4a isnt working on videos,unlike the note 3.

What i have read is that v4a is supposed to be system wide,so it isnt working properly on my note 4. Have you tried playing a video with your headset while v4a is enabled? Do you notice an increase in quality just like music playback?

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #343 of 756
Thats normal. If you use audio playback that V2A framework is used so "processing = yes". If you don't use audio playback at all, there is no reason to process anything, thats why "processing = no".

I use V2A on my S4 with GPE 4.4.4 ROM and it works really well. I have the same status like you, thats nothing wrong here.

There is audio playback actually,the audio part of a video,so its *supposed* to still say yes while playing a video. But unfortunately it says no. But even without checking its obvious that the sound quality isn't as good as with pure music playback. This is just so weird.

I might try flashing a ROM which comes with v4a today. Hopefully its something on my side and not a note 4 quirk.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #344 of 756
Hello guys, im planning to switch over to Android once again (used to be an Android user for about a year, S3), im currently using iphone 5s and listen to music purchased on iTunes with no EQ, my earphones is a TTPOD-T1. I love the sound quality on my 5s but i think it could be better on an android phone with V4A mod as i used to have it on my S3 with just the Apple Earpods lol it was a changing experience. So im wondering if anyone of you guys here owns both devices or used to so that you can help me to compare sound quality on the two systems (> iphone 5s preferably and Note 4 with V4A mod). Im not talking about headset speficically here. Thank you :)

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #345 of 756
Hello guys, im planning to switch over to Android once again (used to be an Android user for about a year, S3), im currently using iphone 5s and listen to music purchased on iTunes with no EQ, my earphones is a TTPOD-T1. I love the sound quality on my 5s but i think it could be better on an android phone with V4A mod as i used to have it on my S3 with just the Apple Earpods lol it was a changing experience. So im wondering if anyone of you guys here owns both devices or used to so that you can help me to compare sound quality on the two systems (> iphone 5s preferably and Note 4 with V4A mod). Im not talking about headset speficically here. Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, I definitely prefer the Note 4 (Snapdragon version). Something about the Note 4 seems better, though I am trying to figure out what it is. Its one of the major reasons why I switched over. The sound definitely compliments my Westone UM Pro 50 better than the iPhone 5s.

Ultimately, it will depend on the type of headphones/IEMs you will use. The 5s pushes out 1v while the Note 4 displaces 400mV. In all practice, they will sound just as good as each other (again personally) at stock. But I would throw Note 4 as the winner when it has its mods.

I would like someone better with audio testing to chime in so we get a better idea of what we are playing with. I remember one guy mentioning that the SQ of the Note 4 is quite clean and very mature, but complained with the "loudness" of the sound. Therefore, it seems like the DAC is good but the AMP is not strong enough, so it'll go back to what you are planning to run the phone with, headphones or IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back